Time for a New Coach

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
greycat68

Re: Time for a New Coach

Post by greycat68 » January 11th, 2020, 11:34 am

that was not my intent dmc. i have no idea what kind of fan you are. i have no problem with you criticizing the state of the program and the coaching staff. i have concerns in those areas myself. i just choose not to discuss them on this board. i do have a problem with you attacking the players saying they have no desire or will to win. they work their butts off and give it their all every time they go out there. they may not be as athleticly gifted as the old players you listed, but they are not losing games because they are not trying and don't have a will to win.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » January 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

:agree:
greycat68 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 11:34 am
that was not my intent dmc. i have no idea what kind of fan you are. i have no problem with you criticizing the state of the program and the coaching staff. i have concerns in those areas myself. i just choose not to discuss them on this board. i do have a problem with you attacking the players saying they have no desire or will to win. they work their butts off and give it their all every time they go out there. they may not be as athleticly gifted as the old players you listed, but they are not losing games because they are not trying and don't have a will to win.
:agree: Excellent post! I often agree with DMC's posts about strategy, but I don't agree with the criticism of the players. I have watched all of the home games in person except for two when I was traveling. The team is playing through a lot of adversity, and the core is made up of young players who make mistakes. However, I agree that they work their butts off. This team is more athletic than most of the teams in recent history. Ranke is the only pure shooter on the team, and she is lost for the year due to injury. The Big 12 is tough, e.g., Baylor beating UConn on their home court. I don't see many conference wins this year, but I have no doubt the team will continue to play hard. The team left a couple of days early for the game against Texas Tech today. I know they will play hard. We need to hit a few 3's to open up the inside game, which I suspect we have been working on during the practices in Texas.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » January 11th, 2020, 5:57 pm

The Cats beat Texas Tech today 76 - 72. Williams, Lee, and Harris had 21, 20, and 17 points, respectively. Great game by the Cats. They shot 43.5% from the field and led most of the game with a largest lead of 9.

DMC

Post by DMC » January 11th, 2020, 11:20 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 10:36 am
Then shame on you, DMC. Williams is one of KSU's all-time greats in women's sports. Lee seems to play with a passion. Others are trying hard, just not getting over the hump. We are lacking go-to players, and that's on Wittie, but blaming the girls' attitude is just wrong.
Make no mistake about it Williams is a super talented player, but can’t or will not carry this team on her shoulders, like a Shaylee did.

DMC

Post by DMC » January 11th, 2020, 11:31 pm

DMC wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 11:20 pm
ToledoCat#2 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 10:36 am
Then shame on you, DMC. Williams is one of KSU's all-time greats in women's sports. Lee seems to play with a passion. Others are trying hard, just not getting over the hump. We are lacking go-to players, and that's on Wittie, but blaming the girls' attitude is just wrong.
Make no mistake about it Williams is a super talented player, but can’t or will not carry this team on her shoulders, like a Shaylee did. If she or any other player could we would have at least 5 more wins. Please don’t get me wrong I want to win. I just have lost all confidence Mittie has the ability to instill a winning attitude.

DMC

Post by DMC » January 11th, 2020, 11:48 pm

purpleprairiecat wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm
greycat68 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 11:34 am
:agree: Excellent post! I often agree with DMC's posts about strategy, but I don't agree with the criticism of the players. I have watched all of the home games in person except for two when I was traveling. The team is playing through a lot of adversity, and the core is made up of young players who make mistakes. However, I agree that they work their butts off. This team is more athletic than most of the teams in recent history. Ranke is the only pure shooter on the team, and she is lost for the year due to injury. The Big 12 is tough, e.g., Baylor beating UConn on their home court. I don't see many conference wins this year, but I have no doubt the team will continue to play hard. The team left a couple of days early for the game against Texas Tech today. I know they will play hard. We need to hit a few 3's to open up the inside game, which I suspect we have been working on during the practices in Texas.
With all due respect to you Greycat Shaylee couldn’t shoot, but found a way to lead her team to a big 12 championship. She had a will that drove us to victory. She had a will that wouldn’t let us lose. Mittie players just don’t have that will, in my opinion .

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

shaylee was a great player. she is probably my favorite ks player of all time, but i'm probably prejudiced since i am an old point guard. she had a great basketball mind and always got herself and the ball in the right place at the right time. however, i don't think it is fair to be comparing current players to her. again, if you want to criticize the coaching staff for not recruiting the right kind of players, or not preparing them properly, fine. but, PLEASE, don,t direct your criticism directly at the players.

purplehairedlady

Post by purplehairedlady » January 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Shalee is my favorite K-State player of all time, in any sport. Thus I may be biased, but almost 1200 points in her College career and 51% is a pretty good shooter in my book! Granted a lot of those were drives for a layup but they still counted 2 points. Certainly not a great 3 point shooter but didn’t need to be.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » January 12th, 2020, 8:52 pm

I understand where both sides are coming from. My point is it is difficult to lead from the post position while the point guard should be the leader. The pg has the ball in their hands, leads the break, and directs the defense.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 13th, 2020, 8:47 am

purplehairedlady wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Shalee is my favorite K-State player of all time, in any sport. Thus I may be biased, but almost 1200 points in her College career and 51% is a pretty good shooter in my book! Granted a lot of those were drives for a layup but they still counted 2 points. Certainly not a great 3 point shooter but didn’t need to be.
There is no 3 point shooting without players that go to the bucket and draw the defense ... at least not very good three point shooting that is.