Bruce Weber is a very good bb coach and ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

Re: Bruce Weber is a very good bb coach and ...

Post by Gorhoops » December 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Yeah, Weber has often been ridiculed for "throwing players under the bus" and I remember asking people to please post some direct quotes where he did this, and now we hear that he does it often? I guess maybe people have different ideas of what "throwing players under the bus" means. I have no problem with Weber saying we have no leadership because most of us agree with him, quite honestly because it looks to be the truth. He didn't mention any names, he didn't say anything scathing, and if the players take offense to that, they need to toughen up. Carti can disagree, but most would agree. I have generally always heard Weber say "we need to do this" or "we aren't very good at that," which some construe as blaming players. I guess I just don't see it that way. I like that he tells the truth.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » December 11th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Players need to hear the truth IMO. Maybe those who can't take criticism aren't worth the effort. I like Diarra but he has some serious lapses both in effort and judgement and needs to wake up to the fact that a real leader doesn't get lackadaisical, doesn't take plays off and doesn't jack up treys. He just has moments of bad attitude. Leaders don't. Also leaders lead. They consistently work to help the younger guys play team ball. They consistently encourage them. Both Cartier and X do this but not enough. I currently do not see Mak as much of a leader but his effort in the Marquette game was leading by example. I think this is going to take effort by these guys because they are used to Barry, Dean and Kam doing it. Time to take the bull by the horns.

LincolnLarry
Been thanked: 0

Post by LincolnLarry » December 11th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I agree, players need to hear the truth. Preferably behind closed doors in practice or the locker room. Voicing it to the media can be divisive and not set well with the players, Weber has caused this in the past and appeared to do it here again. The article was proof of that.

Most old school fans would voice the come back “toughen up”, but we all know this doesn’t really play well with today’s players. We can scoff that but it’s reality. And if you have discord, it often carries over to the court.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of mollycoddling because that also does no good. But, I’d prefer there to be honesty and trust between the staff and players.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » December 11th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Does anyone have a link to the article or interview?

My opinion would depend on the exact question, the exact answer, and the context.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » December 11th, 2019, 8:44 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm
LincolnLarry wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 11:47 pm

This has long been the issue with Weber. While some appreciate his candor, it rubs others the wrong way when he drives the bus over the players which he often does. His brand of brutal honesty definitely isn’t for everyone, and at times he could use an upgraded filter between his brain and his mouth.
as a fan of weber, i beg exception, pointing out above what minnesota and iowa's coaches said after their game as meaningless drivel. if you find weber throwing players under the bus - by the way, a much-abused euphemism - you probably don't believe he's a great coach either. reality is, that's weber's approach and it's likely based on how gene keady and bob knight handled such things. knight, of course, was absolutely brutal with the media. weber is the antithesis of that.
If you like Bruce Weber's post game commentary by all means knock yourself out and listen, my blood pressure rises to unsafe levels when I have to listen to his lame excuses after a loss, therefore for my own well being I choose to not tune in to the post game BS - but just as my opening in this thread that does not mean he is not a good coach, he is a good coach :D

learnin

Post by learnin » December 12th, 2019, 1:05 am

Gorhoops wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Yeah, Weber has often been ridiculed for "throwing players under the bus" and I remember asking people to please post some direct quotes where he did this, and now we hear that he does it often? I guess maybe people have different ideas of what "throwing players under the bus" means. I have no problem with Weber saying we have no leadership because most of us agree with him, quite honestly because it looks to be the truth. He didn't mention any names, he didn't say anything scathing, and if the players take offense to that, they need to toughen up. Carti can disagree, but most would agree. I have generally always heard Weber say "we need to do this" or "we aren't very good at that," which some construe as blaming players. I guess I just don't see it that way. I like that he tells the truth.
Coach Self is notorious for saying, especially early in the season: "We're soft." "We're not very good right now."

I see no problem with telling the truth as long as a Coach is willing to put the blame on himself at times.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » December 14th, 2019, 7:13 pm

It’s all just a little sports psychology. Players like Cartier need attention and you probably don’t get their attention unless you call them out publicly.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » December 14th, 2019, 8:11 pm