WSU vs OSU

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

WSU vs OSU

Post by gdgjr78 » December 8th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Man I know Marshall is kind of a wacko but he can recruit and coach basketball. They have a very young team and they are just hammering OSU in Stillwater.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » December 8th, 2019, 7:11 pm

He has a really good squad this year.

But there could be possible parallels between them and KSU. Last year WSU was going into the season graduating most their starters from a conference championship and NCAA tournament team. They had a couple of returning players who had played substantial minutes and a bunch of frosh from a good recruiting class and a jc transfer who were gong to have to absorb the minutes.

They really struggled for a little more than half the season and then all of the sudden things came together the last 12 or so games and the went on a 10-2 run. Went all the way to the semis of the NIT. Now those frosh are sophomores and they brought in an even better class of frosh this year, along with a very good juco player and things are going pretty well.

What they did last year is similar to what we’re going through and we have an even better class coming in next year. Hopefully things can come together still this year and then with having a year of experience and supposedly an even better class next year, and then find ourselves right back in the mix for a championship next year.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm

bhoovy wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:11 pm

But there could be possible parallels between them and KSU. Last year WSU was going into the season graduating most their starters from a conference championship and NCAA tournament team. They had a couple of returning players who had played substantial minutes and a bunch of frosh from a good recruiting class and a jc transfer who were gong to have to absorb the minutes.

They really struggled for a little more than half the season and then all of the sudden things came together the last 12 or so games and the went on a 10-2 run. Went all the way to the semis of the NIT. Now those frosh are sophomores and they brought in an even better class of frosh this year, along with a very good juco player and things are going pretty well.

What they did last year is similar to what we’re going through and we have an even better class coming in next year. Hopefully things can come together still this year and then with having a year of experience and supposedly an even better class next year, and then find ourselves right back in the mix for a championship next year.
I’m just impressed by Marshall’s ability to find and recruit athletes that can play basketball. I said in my original post he is kind of a wacko but he is actually definitely a wacko. Is there someone on that staff we could try and poach? It truly is impressive what he has done at a school like WSU. It’s especially frustrating to watch their frontcourt recruits with talent while we are struggling to simply find frontcourt guys who can contribute solid minutes.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » December 8th, 2019, 8:39 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm
bhoovy wrote:

I’m just impressed by Marshall’s ability to find and recruit athletes that can play basketball. I said in my original post he is kind of a wacko but he is actually definitely a wacko. Is there someone on that staff we could try and poach? It truly is impressive what he has done at a school like WSU. It’s especially frustrating to watch their frontcourt recruits with talent while we are struggling to simply find frontcourt guys who can contribute solid minutes.
He’s actually had quite a bit of turnover with his staff since arriving at WSU and seems to continue to find guys who fit in well and bring something to the program.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » December 9th, 2019, 8:42 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
bhoovy wrote:

This is WHY he gets it done there. As a KSU/WSU grad I can tell you from personal experience, game day at the roundhouse trumps gameday at the Bram on most nights. Especially when a quality opponent steps on the floor. Whether any/all KSU basketball fans want to admit it or not, the basketball experience is just better there. They used to be a baseball school. Have now been a 'basketball school' for some time now. Took them a while to regain the swagger from the X-man, Cliff Livingston, Antoine Carr days from the 80's but Marshall has brought that back, and then some. So, no offense, but the "at a school like WSU" the way I just read it is a toss-up between insulting and laughable. Get in your car and head down the road and take in a game against a quality opponent (if you can get a ticket) and you'll 'get it'. The fact that they dumped football in the 80's just make it even more focused on BB. And it shows. Marshall just followed what Turgeon started and amped it up a notch. I love what Marshall does. I love what Bruce does. Obviously 2 completely different types of dudes. But glad to have both in their respective seats.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 9th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Lol relax I've been to wsu games before (my dad is a big fan and gets tickets). I'm referring to the talent that Marshall is able to recruit, his staff is great at identifying talent and then getting them on campus.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 10th, 2019, 8:23 am

epicsnyder wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:42 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:

This is WHY he gets it done there. As a KSU/WSU grad I can tell you from personal experience, game day at the roundhouse trumps gameday at the Bram on most nights. Especially when a quality opponent steps on the floor. Whether any/all KSU basketball fans want to admit it or not, the basketball experience is just better there. They used to be a baseball school. Have now been a 'basketball school' for some time now. Took them a while to regain the swagger from the X-man, Cliff Livingston, Antoine Carr days from the 80's but Marshall has brought that back, and then some. So, no offense, but the "at a school like WSU" the way I just read it is a toss-up between insulting and laughable. Get in your car and head down the road and take in a game against a quality opponent (if you can get a ticket) and you'll 'get it'. The fact that they dumped football in the 80's just make it even more focused on BB. And it shows. Marshall just followed what Turgeon started and amped it up a notch. I love what Marshall does. I love what Bruce does. Obviously 2 completely different types of dudes. But glad to have both in their respective seats.

I agree that they have a great atmosphere, but Shocker fans are really no different. I was at the game thursday and it was a bit over half full, still a good environment. One huge advantage that WSU has is that they don't have football, which is bad overall, but for basketball, it is great for them because you have a city of 400,00+ with NOTHING else to do in Wichita as far as big events and you have a 10,000 seat arena, so Shocker games are pretty much a major event in Wichita even for people that aren't Shocker fans simply because there really isn't anything else to do for sports fans in Wichita in December. Also, Shocker fans have had nothing to root for since last season, no football team to be invested in, so they are ready for Shocker games when they come around. Even with that, there were 6000 at the game last Thursday.

learnin

Post by learnin » December 10th, 2019, 9:00 am

epicsnyder wrote:
gdgjr78 wrote:

You make a very good point, here. Recruits are very attracted by the game day atmosphere. I happen to think that we snagged some very good recruits, for 2020, because of the KU victory last year (with the Windmill dunk and celebration following) along with the Conference championship game. From my seat, I've watched prospective recruits take in the game atmosphere. I see them taking pictures at various times during the game.
Now, the program has just come off an elite 8 run and conference championship. The program has now signed two of the better recruiting classes in many moon. But, I look in the stands and I see apathy. To their credit, the students have shown up well, but the rest, not so well. If this were a basketball school, you would expect a full house for what has recently transpired and for what is to come.

learnin

Post by learnin » December 10th, 2019, 9:03 am

Gorhoops wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 8:23 am
epicsnyder wrote:

I agree that they have a great atmosphere, but Shocker fans are really no different. I was at the game thursday and it was a bit over half full, still a good environment. One huge advantage that WSU has is that they don't have football, which is bad overall, but for basketball, it is great for them because you have a city of 400,00+ with NOTHING else to do in Wichita as far as big events and you have a 10,000 seat arena, so Shocker games are pretty much a major event in Wichita even for people that aren't Shocker fans simply because there really isn't anything else to do for sports fans in Wichita in December. Also, Shocker fans have had nothing to root for since last season, no football team to be invested in, so they are ready for Shocker games when they come around. Even with that, there were 6000 at the game last Thursday.

If it's not the atmosphere, then, what is it? I don't believe good recruits are busting the door down to play for Marshall. There has to be more.
I have my theory, but no use to open a can of worms.

p.s. My theory has nothing to do with paying players.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 10th, 2019, 9:25 am

learnin wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:03 am
Gorhoops wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 8:23 am

If it's not the atmosphere, then, what is it? I don't believe good recruits are busting the door down to play for Marshall. There has to be more.
I have my theory, but no use to open a can of worms.

p.s. My theory has nothing to do with paying players.

A lot of it is the atmosphere, it is a great atmosphere. My point was that there are a lot of people, myself included, that live in or around Wichita, that are not Shocker fans that go to the games because there is nothing else to do this time of year. They have a good, rabid fanbase because they have nothing else to do. Our fans are still invested in football at this point of the year and our fans have spent lots of time and money driving to Manhattan for football games all through the fall, so some just take a break until the conference games roll around.

Lets also understand, Marshall has some good players, but only a couple are top 150 guys, so he is recruiting well, but not awesome. He has a freshman this year that played at Sunrise that was committed to UCLA before Alford got axed. He grabbed him when he re-opened his recruitment and he was just down the street at Sunrise. They are also now in a good conference and he schedules pretty well outside of conference. He can sell recruits on playing Cincinnati, Memphis, UCONN, Houston, etc. They also play OSU, OU, went to Cancun and played Frank and Hugs, etc.

Marshall is a jack......, but the guy is a top 10 or 15 coach in the country. He is an elite level coach, if you can put up with his antics and his crazy wife, he will produce results. Fortunately for WSU, his antics and his crazy wife has kept him in Wichita. WSU is also lucky because after the 2018 season when they had a bunch of seniors but lost in the first round to Marshall, he was ready to go and was ready to listen to offers and it was the first time he really didn't get any offers. He was then rejuvenated by his young group last year and is now re-invested in WSU. But if someone decent had come calling two years ago, he would have left.