The New Gary Patterson

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: The New Gary Patterson

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm

what's J/A mean? :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » December 4th, 2019, 1:56 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm
just asking?
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » December 4th, 2019, 1:59 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 11:38 am
messingham blistered ou's defense as well. to be critical of him is 8-wins-silly. absolutely road-graded isu saturday. but we read the same comments today we've seen for years, don't we, only the names change from mess to dana dimel to del miller to ron hudson. but the internet key-pounding expertise never changes. :roll:
does seem to be a pattern there...

:rofl:
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm

NealyFan wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:56 pm
tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm
just asking?
you seldom will find me so critical of k-state coaches to the degree found by some here. i do criticize know-it-all fans who pound away at their p.c.'s acting like they know more than seasoned coaches like messingham, dimel and the lot. if these fans know so much, why are they slopping hogs, schooling kids, or pitching autos when they could be directing d1 offenses for big bucks? it's irrational.

and to those who chide: well, that's what these boards are for. i say: correct, that's why i have every right to respond accordingly. :D

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 4th, 2019, 3:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm
NealyFan wrote:

just asking?
you seldom will find me so critical of k-state coaches to the degree found by some here. i do criticize know-it-all fans who pound away at their p.c.'s acting like they know more than seasoned coaches like messingham, dimel and the lot. if these fans know so much, why are they slopping hogs, schooling kids, or pitching autos when they could be directing d1 offenses for big bucks? it's irrational.

and to those who chide: well, that's what these boards are for. i say: correct, that's why i have every right to respond accordingly. :D
To be fair, I get plenty of criticism in my profession from people I don't think know as much as I do. Hell, I have do abide by rules set by politicians and board members who don't know my job, or it's challenges, like I do, but occasionally, I've received criticism/feedback that has caused me to look at things from another perspective and has made me better at my job.

We all have a right to an opinion. We all have a right to defend our opinion, but to hint that because these coaches coach D1 football that makes them right all of the time, is laughable, imo.

I had opportunities to coach at the next level a few years back. I chose my route because I valued spending more time with my family and not being on the road recruiting all of the time. Just answering your question.

I don't think any of us think we know more about the game of football, but there are always areas to improve. In any profession.

Personally, I love reading the diverse perspectives.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2019, 5:15 pm

good, i'm glad you enjoy my feedback. :lol:

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » December 4th, 2019, 10:56 pm

I think you're selling HCCK short. I truly believe that he will surpass Patterson.

Patterson is, indeed, a successful coach, but I've never heard of him as a "Player's Coach."

Combine "Players Coach" with "Successful Coach" and you have a Killer Combination.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 5th, 2019, 12:33 am

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm
NealyFan wrote:

just asking?

This is an interesting perspective that I can respect. I know personally several football coaches at various levels. I've been fortunate to know them, no need to go into it more than that. All, very good guys, good men, good coaches. But in all honesty, the fact that they make what they make coaching a kids game is baffling to me. And just being brutally honest, they know what they know because its what they were taught - but they aren't innovators and they sure aren't "that" smart. They do what they know and know well, and rarely venture much beyond what they know. I've had the opportunity to ask some of them questions (in a very respectful way, unlike most sports writers looking for headlines), "why don't you do this or that in certain situations?" Usually asked over a beer. They usually have an answer but I can tell, they didn't put much thought into it before I said something about it. I get that kinda "huh, never thought about that" response usually. That doesn't mean I know anywhere near the amount that they do about football. It just gives them an outside perspective on something. I can tell you for certain I don't know what they know, but I DO know some things they don't or haven't considered. These guys put their pants on one leg at a time, just like we do even at the highest level of football. Coaching is very much a fraternity. Its every bit of "who" you know as it is "What" you know. I get asked questions by people outside my profession all the time, and often the statements and questions are pretty ludicrous - some are good questions/comments though. No job is without outside scrutiny, nor should it be. I don't think of their questions or them personally any differently. I look at it like "that's life".
EMAW

Fullypersuaded

Post by Fullypersuaded » December 5th, 2019, 8:30 am

ArKSU wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 12:50 am
Tbonespop
He's a stud.
2x4 or 2x12?
2x6 - 2 Big 12 Titles in the next 6 years

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 5th, 2019, 8:59 am

I have no problem with questioning coaches on a message board, that is part of coaching and everyone knows it. What I get tired of is people that want to rip a coach but not actually discuss the issues with the coach, and it does seem that in football, offensive coordinators get it more than defensive coordinators. Heck, in this thread people are asking for a raise for Hazelton but some want Messingham gone? Unless you point out your reasoning, not sure I put much weight into what you say. Hazelton has done a great job, but he is ultimately responsible for giving up the 3rd and 14 against Texas in their last drive, he is responsible for the blown coverage on 3rd and 22 against WVU and he is responsible for the blown coverage on 4th and 8 against Tech, is he not?? But for some reason, fans often are more willing to put defensive issues on the players, but offensive issues on the play-caller?

I tend to agree with tmcats that it doesn't matter who the OC is, if every play isn't a 15 yard gain or a TD, the guy calling the plays is an idiot. Messingham didn't know from week to week whether he would have Gilbert and Brown, or Knowles or Gill or whoever.

My point is, having good discussion about decisions coaches make is great, and it is awesome to read. Sometimes I just find it humorous that the OC is generally always an idiot, no matter what.