38%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 42

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: How many ....

Post by AJcat7755 » December 4th, 2019, 12:08 pm

I for one would rather be 10-2 and get blown out in a bigger name bowl then to be 8-4 and beat a middle tier P5 team, or even a G5 team, in a lower tier bowl. Despite the loss, just appearing in a bigger bowl is worth the publicity, can be used in recruiting, and would also mean finishing 3rd in the Big 12 outright.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2019, 1:09 pm

yeah, that wvu lose went deeper than just that game. :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Number8son
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » December 4th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Frankly, after the Baylor loss, I was not certain the team would win another game. This team has been fairly unpredictable which has in part made the season so much fun. I have appreciated all the effort from players, coaches, etc.. I have no idea what's going to happen in a bowl game. It would be so cool if they played Notre Dame. Won't happen, but you can dream.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » December 4th, 2019, 4:21 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:08 pm
I for one would rather be 10-2 and get blown out in a bigger name bowl then to be 8-4 and beat a middle tier P5 team, or even a G5 team, in a lower tier bowl. Despite the loss, just appearing in a bigger bowl is worth the publicity, can be used in recruiting, and would also mean finishing 3rd in the Big 12 outright.
I guess I'm a lot more sensitive to the oft-repeated line 'over-rated' and 'cupcake schedule' which you know gets trotted out, recycled every time.

never thought that helped recruiting or 'presence on the national stage' at all.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » December 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm

KITNooga wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 4:21 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:08 pm
I guess I'm a lot more sensitive to the oft-repeated line 'over-rated' and 'cupcake schedule' which you know gets trotted out, recycled every time.

never thought that helped recruiting or 'presence on the national stage' at all.
OU gets beat in every big game they play in, but they get to play in the big games. Would they rather make the playoffs and lose, or not make the playoffs at all?

Which do you think helps a program more, going 8-5 and winning the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, or going 10-3 and losing in the Cotton Bowl?

If you look back at the history of a program, do you remember the 7-8 win seasons where there was a bowl win in the Cactus Bowl, Texas Bowl, BWW Bowl, or do you remember the Fiesta Bowl losses and the great season that came before the bowl?

Lower tier bowls are meaningless, generate very little buzz nationally, and are quickly forgotten in years later win or lose. But for the time the game is played, which opponents would generate more publicity, win or lose?

Being guaranteed 3rd in the Big 12 at 10-2 would mean playing in the Alamo or Camping World Bowl (dependent on what the top 2 end up) against: USC, Notre Dame, Utah, Oregon. Instead, with the 4 teams tied, KSU could be bumped down a bowl and play in the Texas, Liberty or Cheez It Bowl against: Mississippi State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Kentucky, Texas A&M, SMU, Air Force, Navy. Which do you think will generate more viewers?

Right now, with the tie breakers, its up to the bowls to pick who they want. I would much rather play in that first group, in a bowl higher up, even if there is a greater risk of losing.

Number8son
Been thanked: 0

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » December 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm
KITNooga wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 4:21 pm

OU gets beat in every big game they play in, but they get to play in the big games. Would they rather make the playoffs and lose, or not make the playoffs at all?

Which do you think helps a program more, going 8-5 and winning the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, or going 10-3 and losing in the Cotton Bowl?

If you look back at the history of a program, do you remember the 7-8 win seasons where there was a bowl win in the Cactus Bowl, Texas Bowl, BWW Bowl, or do you remember the Fiesta Bowl losses and the great season that came before the bowl?

Lower tier bowls are meaningless, generate very little buzz nationally, and are quickly forgotten in years later win or lose. But for the time the game is played, which opponents would generate more publicity, win or lose?

Being guaranteed 3rd in the Big 12 at 10-2 would mean playing in the Alamo or Camping World Bowl (dependent on what the top 2 end up) against: USC, Notre Dame, Utah, Oregon. Instead, with the 4 teams tied, KSU could be bumped down a bowl and play in the Texas, Liberty or Cheez It Bowl against: Mississippi State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Kentucky, Texas A&M, SMU, Air Force, Navy. Which do you think will generate more viewers?

Right now, with the tie breakers, its up to the bowls to pick who they want. I would much rather play in that first group, in a bowl higher up, even if there is a greater risk of losing.
I clearly remember KSU beating Michigan and Texas A&M in lesser bowls. The Michigan fans at work remember that game and Tyler Lockett. Both have their pluses. Would have been nice to beat Ohio State and/or Oregon. I remember the 1993 bowl game against Wyoming as do probably 100,000 wildcat fans.

Losing stinks big time whether it is a big or small bowl and it definitely leaves a bad taste at the end of the season. But, hey, there's always next season!

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » December 4th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I for one don’t really like watching my team getting boat raced like we did against Oregon that one year when we had a lofty record. Beating a solid team on a lesser bowl is much more likely going to bring positive press vs. being overrated and embarrassed on notational tv.

kinsleycat

Post by kinsleycat » December 4th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Well, I clearly remember Michael Bishop passing for 4 TD's in the Fiesta Bowl against Syracuse. Really stole the thunder away from Donovan McNabb on that New Year's Eve.

kinsleycat

Post by kinsleycat » December 4th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Last year, Texas defeated No.5 rated Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. "Texas is back", became their battle cry going into this year. Then they struggled to a mediocre 7-5 record.

mustang

Post by mustang » December 4th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I’m a believer that things even out between close wins (Miss State, TCU, Tech) and close losses (WV, TX) and most teams are basically what the record indicates. Eight wins in modern parity driven college football is a wonderful season. Winning a bowl is nice but not a must for a successful season. Looking at the KSU schedule next season three automatic W’s unless Vanderbilt is radically improved and a favorable home schedule, plus snare a road win and you got another 8 or 9 win season and a ton of momentum. Good feelings abound