The New Gary Patterson

The defending Big XII Champions
farrout10

Re: The New Gary Patterson

Post by farrout10 » December 2nd, 2019, 4:55 pm

(if anyone deserves a raise, it's Hazelton. He took a defense that for the better part of a decade had been soft and underachieving. In one season - and with mostly the same personnel - he completely changed the culture and the results)
Can't disagree with that, so refreshing to see the corners press and perform! He is a free spirit and hopefully he is finding some good hunting in the area.
So impressive to watch this staff perform with dignity and heart, did not see a single coach blowup yet the defense played with an attitude and sometimes too aggressive. A fine line to ride and still maintain discipline

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » December 3rd, 2019, 2:24 pm

farrout10 wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:55 pm
(if anyone deserves a raise, it's Hazelton. He took a defense that for the better part of a decade had been soft and underachieving. In one season - and with mostly the same personnel - he completely changed the culture and the results)
Can't disagree with that, so refreshing to see the corners press and perform! He is a free spirit and hopefully he is finding some good hunting in the area.
So impressive to watch this staff perform with dignity and heart, did not see a single coach blowup yet the defense played with an attitude and sometimes too aggressive. A fine line to ride and still maintain discipline
love this post. but do remember a lot of folks pissing/moaning about tackling.

don't forget Lamb seeming to run by every single purple defender on the field on the way to a TD in the OU game.

:rofl:
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 3rd, 2019, 6:23 pm

Tackling was still an issue against ISU. We tackle shoulders and give up yards we shouldn't BUT we gang tackle like demons and we're usually in position to help if an initial defender gets beat so that's a good thing. All teams are short of secure tackling skills anymore it seems for whatever the reasons.

Getting burned by Lamb isn't a disgrace. I suspect plenty of DB's in the league will get burned by him over his career there.

Hazelton would be first in line for a raise IMHO.

Who says GT isn't already drafting an extension for Klieman?

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » December 3rd, 2019, 10:46 pm

I liked our defense better this year too, but let’s not pretend this year was anything like the Big 12 of earlier years. Whereas we used to have multiple great offenses to deal with every year (Baylor, OU, Tech, OSU - even WVU, TX & TCU were great at times), only OU was a great offense this year. I suspect our new schemes would still have gotten smoked if quarterbacks like Rudolph, Mahomes, Mayfield, Boykin, Petty, Grier, Geno Smith and others were still running spread offenses every week.

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » December 3rd, 2019, 11:27 pm

I don’t really have a complaint against any of the coaches, but, I don’t know that I’d go so far as to proclaim that we must retain all of them. There were ups and downs across the board and the truth is that none of us are on the inside of the program so as to understand why that was.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 4th, 2019, 12:39 am

Piedmontcat wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 10:46 pm
I liked our defense better this year too, but let’s not pretend this year was anything like the Big 12 of earlier years. Whereas we used to have multiple great offenses to deal with every year (Baylor, OU, Tech, OSU - even WVU, TX & TCU were great at times), only OU was a great offense this year. I suspect our new schemes would still have gotten smoked if quarterbacks like Rudolph, Mahomes, Mayfield, Boykin, Petty, Grier, Geno Smith and others were still running spread offenses every week.
Alabama gave up 48 points last weekend in an L to Auburn. Few weeks back they gave up 46 points to LSU. Hell, they even let Ole Miss put up 31 points on them. The game evolves and so do the schemes. Even the best teams out there are giving up points to the really good offenses out there. The rules of the game favor the offenses.

The only really legit complaint about the defense this year is at times, they had lapses in tackling fundamentals - and not only was it game to game, it could be even quarter to quarter. It's quite unexplainable - they obviously showed they can tackle well at times. No idea why they have lapses. Other than that, what's to complain about? I think this team only allowed something like 36 3rd conversions ALL SEASON. Let that one sink in. That's 3 conversions per game on average. It's a crazy stat. That's a defense who gets the ball back to the offense.
EMAW

jabba
Has thanked: 0

Post by jabba » December 4th, 2019, 6:54 am

The only coach im not a big fan of is Messingham. Play calling was terrible in some of our losses. In some it was fine to great so I dont really understand the whys of it. It seems to me he has a game plan and cant adapt on the fly if it isnt working. In the WVU game I couldn't understand why we didnt run any misdirection type plays. Just straight up the gut every time. im not saying he terrible I just wish we had someone a little better

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 4th, 2019, 8:26 am

jabba wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 6:54 am
The only coach im not a big fan of is Messingham. Play calling was terrible in some of our losses. In some it was fine to great so I dont really understand the whys of it. It seems to me he has a game plan and cant adapt on the fly if it isnt working. In the WVU game I couldn't understand why we didnt run any misdirection type plays. Just straight up the gut every time. im not saying he terrible I just wish we had someone a little better

Not sure I agree at this point. I felt like he did a nice job of adjusting for much of the season. Heck, we looked horrid in our first two drives Saturday and he/they adjusted and figured out where the weakness of the ISu defense was and exploited it. He did a great job of calling plays in the 2nd half in Lubbock the week before. Sometimes you have to remember that it is still about the jimmies and the joes as well. His running back core and his receiving core were very banged up and my guess is they never knew quite who would be out there from week to week, and that makes a big difference in what you can call.

I also like the fact that we obviously made some adjustments against that 3 man front from the time we played Baylor/OSU to the last two weeks. I am fine with Messingham, just have to keep adding bullets to the gun.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2019, 11:38 am

messingham blistered ou's defense as well. to be critical of him is 8-wins-silly. absolutely road-graded isu saturday. but we read the same comments today we've seen for years, don't we, only the names change from mess to dana dimel to del miller to ron hudson. but the internet key-pounding expertise never changes. :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 4th, 2019, 12:30 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 11:38 am
messingham blistered ou's defense as well. to be critical of him is 8-wins-silly. absolutely road-graded isu saturday. but we read the same comments today we've seen for years, don't we, only the names change from mess to dana dimel to del miller to ron hudson. but the internet key-pounding expertise never changes. :roll:
And of course, you're never guilty of key-pounding? J/A. :roll: