Wildcats at Red Raiders

The defending Big XII Champions
KITNooga

Re: Wildcats at Red Raiders

Post by KITNooga » November 24th, 2019, 5:06 am

ArKSU wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 4:12 am
Did KSU win? Are they now 7-4? Did they beat Okie-Homer? Did they beat MSU? Did they beat ChickenPluckers? Are they going to a Bowl Game?
Do they have a chance at being 8-4 or even 9-4?

You Rough Riders are never satisfied.
let's recap Arkie:
lost two games early (Baylor, OSU) by about two touchdowns. Struggled.
lost two more games by less than a touchdown. might have been chances in those game to have won.

the difference between where we sit at 7-4 and 'coulda-been' 9-2 or better? razor thin.

as for yesterday? think about a couple of SWEET passes Skylar DID make. One at the end of the first half that HIT THE RECEIVER IN THE HANDS IN THE ENDZONE. that pass gets completed and the whole game changes. fans on here go 'giddy' and there's likely a LOT less criticism of ST.

inches. inches. inches. If's and but's. The win is in the book.

next game up.

some other thoughts
and once again: Malik Knowles? just WOW. one of the most impressive frosch receivers I've ever seen. just from a hands perspective. but what he did running the ball in traffic last night? this kid, of all of them, looks like a Sunday player to me

huge Schoen fan. the clutch catches this kid has made, the plays, throughout his career? another of a long list of walk-ons at KSU that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Skylar: as if I know what I'm talking about, but the kid just doesn't look like he loves the game. Like he's having fun. Something there. How often do we see the guy smile/laugh? Not sure why that is. that may be, frankly, the difference between the Skylar we see on the field and the Skylar
fans want to see on the field.

in contrast: look at how that Doege kid (WVU) reacted after he tossed his first TD yesterday.

this is going to seem stupid to many of you all, but if I had just one piece of advice for Skylar? take time to smile more during the game.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » November 24th, 2019, 6:45 am

I’m usually hyper critical but cripes, the fans that don’t enjoy Ws are confusing to me.

Positives for those sad about a road conference win:
1. Road W, improve to 3-2 overall on road
2. Skylar made 3 sweet TD passes (one was dropped)
3. Youngblood is a problem for opposing teams for 3 more years.
4. Knowles is a problem for opposing teams for 3 more years.
5. Patton was solid and his INT was a great zone drop/awareness.
6. CBass showed multiple flashes, the tug and 2 DPIs
7. Hubert, when he has gas, is awesome. Please stop the half spin move though haha.
8. Young corners held their own and then some.
9. Wayne Jones seemed to play with more discipline yesterday.
10. Goolsby made a play! Lmao it was a great play actually

Of course there could be a negatives list but let’s remember Texas lost again, KU was right with ISU all game...in Ames! Teams have warts! With a win next week, this is objectively the 4th best team in the conference. That statement alone is a great sign!

CatinOK

Post by CatinOK » November 24th, 2019, 7:18 am

KITNooga wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 5:06 am
some other thoughts
and once again: Malik Knowles? just WOW. one of the most impressive frosch receivers I've ever seen. just from a hands perspective. but what he did running the ball in traffic last night? this kid, of all of them, looks like a Sunday player to me

huge Schoen fan. the clutch catches this kid has made, the plays, throughout his career? another of a long list of walk-ons at KSU that I wouldn't trade for anything.
Knowles is impressively fast and shifty, but as far as his hands - I guess I just either haven't seen enough of him, or just haven't seen what everyone else has. I've seen him drop some catchable balls, and to be fair, those likely have been when he is fresh back on the field after coming back from injuries and is rusty. I've more than likely missed some of his good play due to spotty televised coverage here. As for Schoen, I've been praising this kid all season (and last). He's not the fastest guy on the team, maybe not the shiftiest receiver, but he gets open, and he makes the clutch catches that keep drives alive, and puts points on the board. Too bad he's a senior. Saw some real promise on the receiving end this year from the younger guys, so with some solid QB and OL play, the future is bright there. Need a solid RB that doesn't go down easily, and need MUCH better tackling from the defense. All in all, the defense is playing well (other than piss-poor tackling and random, brain-dead pass coverage). Fix those two things, and they could lead the conference.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » November 24th, 2019, 9:11 am

Remember folks, K-State was picked by a lot of so-called "experts" to finish 9th in the conference with a 4-8 record. Some, more optimistically, predicted 8th place and a 5-7 record. I will take our current 7-4 record, with a chance to win two more games this season.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 24th, 2019, 9:36 am

this is so well written, it's due a cut&paste! :fistbump:
ksustars754 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 6:45 am
I’m usually hyper critical but cripes, the fans that don’t enjoy Ws are confusing to me.

Positives for those sad about a road conference win:
1. Road W, improve to 3-2 overall on road
2. Skylar made 3 sweet TD passes (one was dropped)
3. Youngblood is a problem for opposing teams for 3 more years.
4. Knowles is a problem for opposing teams for 3 more years.
5. Patton was solid and his INT was a great zone drop/awareness.
6. CBass showed multiple flashes, the tug and 2 DPIs
7. Hubert, when he has gas, is awesome. Please stop the half spin move though haha.
8. Young corners held their own and then some.
9. Wayne Jones seemed to play with more discipline yesterday.
10. Goolsby made a play! Lmao it was a great play actually

Of course there could be a negatives list but let’s remember Texas lost again, KU was right with ISU all game...in Ames! Teams have warts! With a win next week, this is objectively the 4th best team in the conference. That statement alone is a great sign!
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » November 24th, 2019, 9:48 am

Random thought:

The win was good. It's better than the alternative. If we had lost, this board would be blowing up right now. Tech is NOT terrible. They took Baylor to overtime. They've had a few good wins. They have athletes. Their receivers are probably on a par with ours, if not better. Their quarterback has more talent than ours. They have some playmakers on defense, and yes, so do we. It was a pretty even match-up in my opinion. One play decided the game. Skylar's quarterback draw was there for one shining moment on a night when he was kept in check by Tech's fast defensive players. If he gets stuffed on that play, we lose. Our D was tired and unable to stop their offensive advances in the 4th quarter.

We have many deficiencies, and also some things to be happy about. That's who we are, and that's who most teams with our record are as well. Not perfect, not always pretty, but resilient. Resiliency seems to the the hallmark of this team and this coach. That's a good thing. It's probably worth a couple extra wins a year. We're not great, but we're also not terrible. I thought our defensive effort in the first half, against a "fast break" offense, was the best 20 minutes of football that this unit has played all year.

We have reason to celebrate this season. NINE wins are there for the taking. We're going to a bowl game. Even if we slip to 7-6 (which is just as possible), we've laid down some building blocks for the future of our football team.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » November 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

One more thing. If Skylar makes that awful interception last year, or the year before, he would have either been on the bench, or in a funk. The fact that Klieman has confidence in him, even after bonehead plays, speaks volumes about how a coach and quarterback should relate. He came back and won the game with his legs and his leadership. His ego has been fragile in the past. Now it's solid with the backing of his coach and teammates. He's not the best quarterback in the conference, but he's OUR quarterback. And that means something.
Last edited by pulitzerdave on November 24th, 2019, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 24th, 2019, 10:19 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:55 am
One more thing. If Skylar makes that awful interception last year, or the year before, he would have either been on the bench, or in a funk. The fact that Klieman has confidence in him, even after bonehead plays, speaks volumes about how a coach and quarterback should relate. He came back and won the game with his legs and his leadership. His ego has been fragile in the past. Now it's solid with the backing of his coach and teammates. He's not the best quarterback in the conference, but he OUR quarterback. And that means something.
nicely put, p'dave. :fistbump:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

jabba
Has thanked: 0

Post by jabba » November 24th, 2019, 11:17 am

I wont read through the comments and I dont comment here during the game. What I will say.. That was the most unpleasant win to watch in a long time. Im surprised we won and when it was over.. I had zero "elation" just reflief. Shut off the TV went to bed. Happy for the team but that was a terribly fugly game with a truck load of injuries. Im not sure we have enough guys left to field a team next week.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 24th, 2019, 11:52 am

We won and won on the road. Hard for me to understand those who did not enjoy it. The line was even for this game. Their qb played well for the most parts. All of us get frustrated when the team does not make a play. However, they also made a lot of plays to win that game.