#1 problem from today's game

The defending Big XII Champions
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: #1 problem from today's game

Post by AJcat7755 » November 18th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Had Skylar not been pushed back and not being able to step into the throw, this is a TD and everyone is celebrating a come behind victory like the ISU game when Skylar did the same thing.

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1196455317091094528

Or if Skylar saw the RB in the middle of the field and just lobbed it to him, that is a 5 yard gain, but with the clock situation, that may have been risky.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 18th, 2019, 1:41 pm

yep, dalton had broken free. skylar just underthrew it a bit. :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SkeeterZX190

Post by SkeeterZX190 » November 18th, 2019, 8:16 pm

You could tell the WVU was jacked for this game. They were focused and intense. We weren't. I think the WVU players were playing for Blake Seiler. Say what you will, but he was demoted and reduced in pay to stay at K-State. He ended up making a lateral move to West Virginia. Many of our defensive players were having to play against a coach that was THEIR coach last year. I think this all factored into how they played, and how we played.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » November 18th, 2019, 11:29 pm

wild@nite wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:57 am
kswildcat wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:37 am
We were at the game and I agree with everything I've read here. Lack of effort, lack of discipline, poor pass defense, poor play calling, and some poor QB play all contributed to the loss. Seems to me most of these issues have been with us most of this year and the lack of effort is inexcusable. I trust Coach to do all he can to correct this but we're running out of time.
Also, lack of fan involvement. This loss was on everybody. Coaches, players, and fans. Lethargic all the way around.
I'm giving up. For awhile the crowd seemed into. Then halftime and............. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nolaeer

Post by Nolaeer » November 19th, 2019, 5:29 am

In my first post on the Kstate message board, I first wanted to say I'm a longtime fan of Bill Snyder
and the way Kstate plays a very physical brand of football.

I know many Kstate fans are demoralized at the loss to WVU, probably because WVU has stunk this year-for the most part.

WVU has stunk because it lost six players to the NFL, and still others to graduation. Throw in 3 players who were very good who went to the XFL,
and WVU had a very young and inexperienced roster. And then the injuries came. WVU has lost an amazing 16 starters since spring ball, and now starts many true freshmen and redshirt freshmen on both sides of the ball. four in the secondary are true freshmen. That makes for a lot of miscues in the passing game and the big 12 is mostly a passing conference.

WVU has also had subpar qb play-up until the Kstate game. Because of the new rule allowing players to play in 4 games without losing their redshirt, WVU was able to start the qb of the future against kstate, Jarret Doege. Big 12 fans know that name because his older brother Seth terrorized the Big 12 at the helm of Texas tech back when neil brown, now the WVU head coach, was the OC at TT.

Jarret Doege last season, as a true sophomore, led the MAC in both tds and passing yardage, including 3 @ Oregon. He's good, as you saw, and WVU fans have been anxiously waiting for his debut. Kstate had the misfortune of having to play WVU in one of Doege's four games, and his 1st one(meaning they had no tape on him in the WVU offense other than mop at against Tech's backups).

Another issue Kstate had was WVU's dline. While WVU has had its issues this year, its dline has been a force to be reckoned with. WVU is 3rd in the big 12 in rush defense(in ypc, not ypg). The main reason for that is WVU's dline. The Sills brothers will both play on Sunday as did their father who played in the NFL for 9 years. Dante Sills was the highest rated recruit in WVU history, and he had legit offers from bama and Ohio State. Reese donahue, another defensive lineman, is a 4 year starter. WVU'd dline is rounded out by a Michigan transfer who is very good, Pooler, a project signee a few years back who now has turned into a very good player, and a 17 year old true freshman WVU flipped from FSU right before signing day that is already the strongest player on the WVU team. WVU also, for the 1st time this season, played a true 4 man front with 4 defensive linemen. Kstate had no tape of that.

Kstate is not the first to have trouble blocking that front. WVU had 8 sacks against baylor(who had only given up 13 all year), and 10 tfl. WVU leads the big 12 in sacks.

WVU had, up until Kstate, played a freshman at center. He has struggled mightily, although he will be good in years to come. He was replaced Saturday by a guard, who is much more physically mature and a better blocker. Lastly, the teams that got WVU earliest, had it the easiest. By this time of the year, some of WVU's true freshmen are coming into their own. A few were highly touted 4 stars, but made typical freshman mistakes. That is especially true for WVU's safeties, both of which are true freshmen. They were recruited by a lot of good teams, and are very gifted physically. they were just young and made a lot of coverage mistakes that resulted in uncontested tds over the season.

In close, WVU's defense held baylor to 17 points in Waco 2 weeks back, so it has been improving. The qb change injected new life into the players, because they all knew from practice who the best qb was, and it wasnt the qb who started the 1st 9 games who missed open wrs all year and had no arm to go deep.

Kstate is a good football team. You have a good coach. I know WVU would have won against baylor in waco had jarret doege played in that game,
and baylor is a good team this year, so you didnt lose to the same WVU team that lost to texas Tech and others. Good luck going forward!

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » November 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

Nolaeer wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 5:29 am
In my first post on the Kstate message board, I first wanted to say I'm a longtime fan of Bill Snyder
and the way Kstate plays a very physical brand of football.

I know many Kstate fans are demoralized at the loss to WVU, probably because WVU has stunk this year-for the most part.

WVU has stunk because it lost six players to the NFL, and still others to graduation. Throw in 3 players who were very good who went to the XFL,
and WVU had a very young and inexperienced roster. And then the injuries came. WVU has lost an amazing 16 starters since spring ball, and now starts many true freshmen and redshirt freshmen on both sides of the ball. four in the secondary are true freshmen. That makes for a lot of miscues in the passing game and the big 12 is mostly a passing conference.

WVU has also had subpar qb play-up until the Kstate game. Because of the new rule allowing players to play in 4 games without losing their redshirt, WVU was able to start the qb of the future against kstate, Jarret Doege. Big 12 fans know that name because his older brother Seth terrorized the Big 12 at the helm of Texas tech back when neil brown, now the WVU head coach, was the OC at TT.

Jarret Doege last season, as a true sophomore, led the MAC in both tds and passing yardage, including 3 @ Oregon. He's good, as you saw, and WVU fans have been anxiously waiting for his debut. Kstate had the misfortune of having to play WVU in one of Doege's four games, and his 1st one(meaning they had no tape on him in the WVU offense other than mop at against Tech's backups).

Another issue Kstate had was WVU's dline. While WVU has had its issues this year, its dline has been a force to be reckoned with. WVU is 3rd in the big 12 in rush defense(in ypc, not ypg). The main reason for that is WVU's dline. The Sills brothers will both play on Sunday as did their father who played in the NFL for 9 years. Dante Sills was the highest rated recruit in WVU history, and he had legit offers from bama and Ohio State. Reese donahue, another defensive lineman, is a 4 year starter. WVU'd dline is rounded out by a Michigan transfer who is very good, Pooler, a project signee a few years back who now has turned into a very good player, and a 17 year old true freshman WVU flipped from FSU right before signing day that is already the strongest player on the WVU team. WVU also, for the 1st time this season, played a true 4 man front with 4 defensive linemen. Kstate had no tape of that.

Kstate is not the first to have trouble blocking that front. WVU had 8 sacks against baylor(who had only given up 13 all year), and 10 tfl. WVU leads the big 12 in sacks.

WVU had, up until Kstate, played a freshman at center. He has struggled mightily, although he will be good in years to come. He was replaced Saturday by a guard, who is much more physically mature and a better blocker. Lastly, the teams that got WVU earliest, had it the easiest. By this time of the year, some of WVU's true freshmen are coming into their own. A few were highly touted 4 stars, but made typical freshman mistakes. That is especially true for WVU's safeties, both of which are true freshmen. They were recruited by a lot of good teams, and are very gifted physically. they were just young and made a lot of coverage mistakes that resulted in uncontested tds over the season.

In close, WVU's defense held baylor to 17 points in Waco 2 weeks back, so it has been improving. The qb change injected new life into the players, because they all knew from practice who the best qb was, and it wasnt the qb who started the 1st 9 games who missed open wrs all year and had no arm to go deep.

Kstate is a good football team. You have a good coach. I know WVU would have won against baylor in waco had jarret doege played in that game,
and baylor is a good team this year, so you didnt lose to the same WVU team that lost to texas Tech and others. Good luck going forward!

Good post. The WVU DL was definitely a force, they have some studs. I would also add that WVU was obviously very motivated and focused. The announcers talked about how Koenning had written letters to every defensive guy imploring them to play harder than they ever had. WVU was a wounded animal after losing 5 in a row, were very motivated by the losing streak and two D coaches that probably feel wronged by KSU in Koenning and Seiler and having Doegge with no film was also a part of it. He made a couple of big plays and made no killer mistakes.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 19th, 2019, 11:15 am

nolaeer, welcome to k-state board. don't be shy about coming back with comments. we still have fond memories of hugg's time here. in my view, wvu has been a good b12 fit sans geography.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » November 19th, 2019, 11:58 am

Yes WVU treated that game like their Super Bowl and KState treated it like win #7. This team is running out of games to “get it right”. This many games into season coaches and players need to be locked in and we are seeing a regression as the team goes forward in the season. I have noticed the coaches are very good at explaining why they lost.

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » November 19th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Injuries haven’t helped any either, losing Parker was a major loss. KSU doesn’t have the depth to lose anybody...
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » November 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm

For me, it was going back to being unsound with gap discipline on defense and poor scheme/execution in our running game. WV just ran up the gut too much and were too effective that they were able to play the rest of the game with that in their pocket. Our offense, again, left the defense hanging too many times by getting into 2nd/3rd and Long situations that killed too many drives.

I sent my buddy a text during the game stating that we were a passive team on Saturday. It's still year #1 of the Klieman era and we're 6-4 with two to play, so I'm still excited. But, it sure feels like when you go to MSU and outplay them handily and win & mostly dominate OU; we've really been a let down in all four losses where we seem to suffer from an inability to get motivated like we did for "Big Games." Maybe that's my issue, we play with a ton of passion and energy in "Big Games" and seem to go through the motions more in other games.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin