#1 problem from today's game

The defending Big XII Champions
wazucat

Re: #1 problem from today's game

Post by wazucat » November 17th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Snyder is in the College Football Hall of Fame primarily because he won games he was supposed to win. Near the end of era one and era two Bill seemed to loose the "knack" . It is good to have the "knack" of getting the team ready for all kinds of opponents.

Hope this is a rare fluke situation for CK, not a harbinger of the future.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 17th, 2019, 7:43 pm

We lost yesterday due to poor quarterback play in the second half. Thompson had some nice scrambles but not very many times did he see and hit open receivers except for some of the very soft coverage WVU played occasionally that allowed easy throws underneath. Last play we ran was a perfect example. Schoen was open and instead of stepping up and hitting him, Thompson starts to leaves the pocket and tries to throw the pass off balance. Under thrown and intercepted. He had room in the pocket to make that pass and step into the throw.
Interception in the first half was underthrown and intercepted.

Pass on 4th down in the 4th quarter to Youngblood was floated and gave the defender time to get close enough to keep the refs from flagging him for interference.

Thompson made some nice throws in the first half and particularly on the first two drives.

And he is still staring down his first option and then panicking when that option is covered.

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » November 18th, 2019, 2:28 am

Tbonespop » November 16th, 2019, 8:26 pm
The # 1 problem that resulted in the loss today was simple - lack of effort. Its just that simple. OL, QB, defensive secondary, right on down the line.
Having coached H.S., Biggest school in Okie-Homer and teeniest school in kansas, and College there is not a hell of a lot you can do when your players develop Masters Of The Universe Syndrome.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

WildcatGrad90
Has thanked: 0

Post by WildcatGrad90 » November 18th, 2019, 9:24 am

Tbonespop wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 8:26 pm
The # 1 problem that resulted in the loss today was simple - lack of effort. Its just that simple. That goes for the coaching staff, OL, QB, defensive secondary, right on down the line.

This was not a talent discrepancy. This was not a scheme discrepancy. We all just witness a team playing uninspired football. One team had their backs against the wall and came out swinging with nothing to lose - WVU. The other team came in expecting that they would just show up and take the win home - KSU.

Want a prime example? Go back and watch the play of our DL defending the run in the first half. We got gashed. We did nothing different schematically in the second half, but excluding one running play, we held WVU to -7 yards rushing in the entire second half. All we did differently in the second half was shed blocks better - which is 100% effort. The DL in the second half played really, really well (secondary shit the bed when it counted).

Think back to the emotional level this KSU team played with at KU. They were disrespected in a big way and had something to prove. Today, they came in with the thought that they could just step on the field and win. Well, it doesn't work that way.

The #1 common denominator in the 4 losses this season have all been lack of effort and emotion. The common denominator in the "Good" wins was a lack of respect and having our backs up against the wall fueling our emotional play.
I agree with everything you said, but I also feel that the Texas game and the WVU game showed how we really are missing AJ Parker in the secondary. I think he was the leader for that group and with him being out, some of our guys are getting out of position and exposed.

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » November 18th, 2019, 9:37 am

We were at the game and I agree with everything I've read here. Lack of effort, lack of discipline, poor pass defense, poor play calling, and some poor QB play all contributed to the loss. Seems to me most of these issues have been with us most of this year and the lack of effort is inexcusable. I trust Coach to do all he can to correct this but we're running out of time.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » November 18th, 2019, 9:57 am

kswildcat wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:37 am
We were at the game and I agree with everything I've read here. Lack of effort, lack of discipline, poor pass defense, poor play calling, and some poor QB play all contributed to the loss. Seems to me most of these issues have been with us most of this year and the lack of effort is inexcusable. I trust Coach to do all he can to correct this but we're running out of time.
Also, lack of fan involvement. This loss was on everybody. Coaches, players, and fans. Lethargic all the way around.

ksustars754

Post by ksustars754 » November 18th, 2019, 10:04 am

To expand on some thoughts in here, KState got pounded at the LOS. OL has been schizo all year and Saturday we saw the bad version. DL besides Dishon were absolutely mauled all game and LBs got swallowed up in the destruction.

All year I’ve thought that the “2020 is gonna be tough bc we lose so many guys up front” crowd was silly. The guys currently may be experienced but let’s not act like they’ve been anything above average overall. At times they can dominate, sure. But other times they get tossed around. Extremely inconsistent and disappointing.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 18th, 2019, 10:11 am

wazucat wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:34 pm
Snyder is in the College Football Hall of Fame primarily because he won games he was supposed to win. Near the end of era one and era two Bill seemed to loose the "knack" . It is good to have the "knack" of getting the team ready for all kinds of opponents.

Hope this is a rare fluke situation for CK, not a harbinger of the future.
Snyder didn't also win a ton of games he wasn't supposed. Would we be more happy if we swapped the OU and WVU game results?

This game felt a lot like the Vanderbilt game where it felt like KSU lost to a team it really shouldn't have.

Westriverbison
Been thanked: 0

Post by Westriverbison » November 18th, 2019, 11:30 am

I think the team was marginally ready. The first play touchdown probably hurt in the long run. Perfect play call and execution resulted in an easy touchdown and then the team went into coast mode.

Skyler needs to settle down in the pocket. Hopefully the coaches can help him.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 18th, 2019, 11:42 am

never as bad as you look losing, nor as good as when winning. this team with wvu on one end of the spectrum and ou on the other is a classic case in point. win out for a great first year. :fistbump:
Why is there something rather than nothing?