AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: alternate lids saturday?

Post by AJcat7755 » November 13th, 2019, 11:15 am

Number8son wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 11:55 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Seems helmets logos have gone in waves. Early on it was the lettering (KSU, KU, etc.) then came the spelling out words. Then teams came up with their own logos (powercat, ASU pitchfork, etc) and now it's about flash or retro designs. There are some teams that have kept tradition throughout, but many teams have changed it up.

Florida, Cal, UCLA (although this is their schools lettering), Ole Miss, South Carolina, Duke, Pitt, Fresno State, Nevada, Louisiana-Lafayette, South Alabama, Ohio, Southern Miss, Tulsa all use some form of text on their helmets right now.

All of the Big 10 West uses a single letter, but Iowa, which is pretty boring to watch N, N, M, P, W, I battle it out. (R and I in the East division as well)

Northwestern had a very similar Cats helmet in the 80s, although it was purple on white helmet, like the latest KSU one.

Of all the Big 12 schools, only UT and OU have had less helmet designs in their history then KSU, so it's not like they are going crazy with it over the years. The Cats helmet is the last used helmet since the PowerCat (and it's few tweaks). Since 1989, there have only been been the traditional PowerCat, a Powercat with camo on the emblem (one game 2013) which was really hard to tell, white helmet with purple PowerCat and camo in the white area (Fort Riley games in 2016 and 2017) and the white one that came out this year that was used against Baylor.

So 4 games, since 1989 (31 years), a different tweak on the helmet has been used. That is 4 out of 93 games played has a tweak on the PowerCat helmet been used. And everyone is freaking out that this will be the first time in 93 games/31 years that something other then a tweaked PowerCat is being used? After the end of this year, that will be 1.04% of the time in the last 31 years a helmet, without a PowerCat on it, will be used. It's not changing permanently, it's not outlandish chrome, or a weird logo like some schools have used recently, it's a retro helmet for fun. Overblown on both sides of the opinion for a change for 1 game in 31 years.
Rather than cats why don't we just use "puppies". That would be very intimidating, too. Football is just for fun, that's why we pay coaches 3 to 8 million dollars. The ultimate reason I don't like it is because the slightest difference/hesitation of not recognizing a teammate quickly on pass plays, etc. can have a profound effect on a game...i.e. like a turnover, etc.

1. Cats was used in the past, hence it's a retro throwback. They aren't exactly creating a new helmet with a new logo or saying for an alternative like schools have done. See some of Oregon State's ugly helmets.
2. "Bring on the Cats", "Let's go Cats" or other sayings with Cats used in it. Cats was also used in the past on Northwestern and Kentucky's helmets, so it's not uncommon. "Cats" was also used on the helmets right above the facemask in helmets this year in a very small text.
3. Teams wear a different home and away jersey and do just fine. In the pro-bowl, everyone wears different helmets. Teams all over the nation wear different helmets every game. Studies show, that for recognition on the field, it's the variation in the jersey color, compared to that of the opponent, that has the biggest impact (dark/colored vs the light/white). QBs aren't looking at pants, shoes, or helmets, they are looking at the largest piece of the equipment, which is the jersey. Which is why KU fans were complaining about their jerseys being so close to KSU, as an excuse as to why Stanley threw to the wrong team (I think he just sucks).
4. Cat is actually a full grown animal. So the analogy to "puppies" does not apply. Instead, you should have said "dogs". Even then, everyone knows we aren't talking about domesticated "cats" here, so we wouldn't be talking about domesticated "dogs". Instead, it would be more closely related to the wild version of a dog, which would be "wolves"
5. Trevor Strange, a current player is going to get to wear the same helmet (although color swapped) as his dad Russ Strange did when he played for KSU. Regardless of what you think of the helmets, that is still a pretty interesting story line. https://twitter.com/RussStange/photo

I don't get why all the noise on either side of the argument about a helmet that will be used once in 31 years. I wonder what people would have done back in 1989 when the PowerCat came out if the same situation happened today. That was a logo change across the whole university, and this is just 1 single game. Merchandise is selling out everywhere ($$), players and recruits are buzzing about it (recruiting), it's getting a lot of recognition in the media (publicity). In the end, that is what is important. For those that don't like it, you need to understand it's 1 game, and the positives it brings outweigh that 1 game of having to see it used. For those that love it, it's still only 1 game, so don't get too much in love with it, but buy up the merchandise that feeds $$ back to the school.

Via twitter:
@KellisRobinett
Some don't like Kansas State's throwback logo, but fans bought $50,000 worth of "Cats" merchandise the day it went on sale.

In the end, it will be a side note that everyone will forget happened as long as the team wins with them on.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on November 13th, 2019, 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 13th, 2019, 11:37 am

everyone is NOT upset. some old folks don't like any change from tradition. and millenials don't like old folks. thus, the whirlwind they create makes this seem like something way bigger than it is, a one time throwback to celebrate the 150th year of college football. we all need to breathe.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 13th, 2019, 12:04 pm

And at least K-State didn't go this direction:

https://twitter.com/CycloneEQUIP/status ... 2692638721

BamaCat

Pick 'Em

Post by BamaCat » November 13th, 2019, 12:36 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 1:24 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 8:51 am
IMO I don't get the hate. They aren't going away from the powercat, it's just a single game. This is all about publicity, marketing, merchandising and recruiting. All the buzz that is being generated is a good thing. Many teams have used throw back script helmets (Florida Gators). Not to mention the new regime is trying to show recruits, and the nation, that this is a different/new program and separate itself from the last regime, which may have gotten a bit stale. If this causes people to look at KSU again and say "hmm, something new is going on there" then it's worth it.

No one cares about the record when these were worn previously. KSU history sucks for most of the history, should we just ban all historical items because we are afraid of it? KSU still uses the Wabash, what was the record when that was first started? How come that doesn't seem to matter? Or what was the record when the fight song was first used? The old Willie is used in a lot of merchandise, what was the record when that was the official logo? What is the record since the name was changed to Wildcats, or since Willie was the mascot and not the real animal? When was EMAW coined, and what was the record then? Seems like we are picking and choosing which historical items to use and which to complain about.
Great post. The bottom line is what occasional changes will help us entice recruits? Who cares what a bunch of old fogies think. Move ahead!
Not a fan of the throwback uniforms. And yes, I supported the team during the bad years. One thing the AD needs to remember is we "Old Fogies" (Ahearn Fund Member) have all the money. But you can just say, "Ok, Boomer." I'll wear it proudly.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » November 13th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Honestly, I don't care for it because I'm a traditional type, but I'm not going to moan about it. Just win games. I'm not convinced one alternate uniform with "Cats" on the helmet is going to help recruiting as some claim, so I'm not sure what the point is, honestly, but whatever. As I said, just go win games, and in the past, we haven't with these changes.

If it's a recruiting boost you want, I don't know how this blah helmet is doing the trick. If it's throwback you want, why not actually do the purple helmet with white "Cats". I'm not sure I get this, but again, whatever. Just discussion.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 13th, 2019, 1:35 pm

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 13th, 2019, 2:43 pm

millenials won't let it go, kurtz being the worst. he had a parody on his kman show yesterday just to p'off anyone over 40. it was rather disgusting. this is like a fart in a whirlwind now creating its own draft. enough already!
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » November 13th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Imo, I think the video is part of people's issue. Why post that video ripping the Powercat off of a helmet? How in the heck did they think people would take that? I guess people statewide are talking KState football, so..... ??? Even the sportstalk Ying Yang's in KC we're discussing it yesterday.

I'm over it. Go kick the ever living crap out of WVU Saturday. This topic has ran its course for me. Moving on when I hit submit....

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » November 13th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Well, this Athletic Department asks us to donate to the Ahearn Fund to dump Ahearn Fieldhouse and build elsewhere. They don't get history. On the other side of this Kruger refused the PowerCat on the basketball uniforms and we had this CATS logo on the center of the basketball court. It took Kruger to leave for the PowerCat to be adopted by all teams.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 13th, 2019, 4:16 pm

wild@nite wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:33 pm
Imo, I think the video is part of people's issue. Why post that video ripping the Powercat off of a helmet? How in the heck did they think people would take that? I guess people statewide are talking KState football, so..... ??? Even the sportstalk Ying Yang's in KC we're discussing it yesterday.

I'm over it. Go kick the ever living crap out of WVU Saturday. This topic has ran its course for me. Moving on when I hit submit....
To me, it's a marketing message to the younger generation of recruits and students. Look at how it was released, where it was released, and what is in the video. It was released on twitter, which is a media more popular in younger generations. Ripping off the PowerCat was an attempt at saying "This isn't your parents K-State anymore". Using a video format, instead of an article with pictures is targeting towards younger generations with shorter attention spans and the youtube/TikTok generation. It's creating a buzz, both good and bad, and getting people talking, which increases visibility to a program that may have gotten stale among younger generations used to seeing the same thing. There is generally more buy into a program when people can relate to it being "theirs" and making changes makes the younger crowd feel like it's different for their generation. Think about it this way, when you were of driving age, would you rather have your older siblings hand me down car, or a different car that wasn't already in the family? It's like getting something that is unique to yourself that no one else has had, and it makes it feel more special. The Millennials defending it are even more reason to why this is working, because they are taking ownership of it as their program (although maybe a bit too far).

It was also for merchandising and apparel sales, which Millennials are the largest purchasers. The results have already shown that this worked as sales have been positive.
https://www.emarketer.com/content/mille ... enerations

They also didn't go a different direction and introduce a new logo, instead using something from the past in an attempt to keep some happy by not throwing out a complete overhaul like an Oregon style change. They also used a helmet that was only worn a single year, and the most recent non PowerCat helmet, and not others that were worn many years, so it appears they didn't want to try and bring up too much bad history. Limiting it to a single game also was a way of limiting the negative feedback. The flipped the color scheme to try and separate it from that history a bit though. They knew there would negative feedback, but were trying to limit the impact of that. No one is going to stop buying tickets or stop donating because of a change in 1 game. It's not going to affect the larger donors past a mild aggravation. And any of them that understand the goal behind it are going to put up with it for a game and move on. If they tried a new logo, or to rebrand it permanently, then the pitch forks would be out, and they knew that.

It appears to me, that this wasn't done on a whim, and there is a bigger intent here then just changing things for the sake of changing things. There were intentions behind the how, what and when. Marketing affects everyone differently, so expecting everyone to agree is impossible. Hopefully, it pays off with recruiting, fan buy in, attendance, whatever. It will be impossible to tell a 1 to 1 correlation as there are so many other factors, so we may never know if it worked, but for the cost of a single game, it seems like a low cost to benefit opportunity.