KSU vs UNLV Game Notes and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Re: KSU vs UNLV Game Notes and Thread

Post by gdgjr78 » November 10th, 2019, 11:38 am

bhoovy wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 11:54 pm
Not a thing of beauty except in the win column but was a good win for a team playing several new guys and guys in new roles in their first true road game. And while UNLV isn’t great, they’re not terrible either.

That’s two down and move on to the next one.
Agreed, we've had some terrible nonconf losses the past few years. At least they escaped with a W and hopefully will learn from it.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » November 10th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Folks, relax, enjoy watching this team grow thru wins and losses. This is a great freshman team, but it will take time and experience for the individuals to reach their potential. I'll be very surprised if this team isn't very good the last 1/3 of the season.

learnin

Post by learnin » November 11th, 2019, 12:49 am

tmcats wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 10:14 am
i remember when wes was a senior, his first few games trying too hard. that's where carti is at and sneed as well. this will all smooth out with time. hell of gutsy win for bruceketballers.
Yes, I agree. Carti and Xavier are forcing too much. If we had lost the UNLV game, it would have fallen upon Cartier's shoulders. He was simply forcing it too much. The two turnovers, in OT, were huge and could have lost the game. Now, I like Cartier's game and he is a very important wheel in this cog. He busted us out of the slump against NDSU. And he will do it again on several occasions this year. But, we can't be very successful with two scorers.

Coach Weber has seen the same thing and mentioned it in the post game. Xavier and Cartier need to settle down and not take it so much upon themselves to do all of the scoring. I like to see Cartier driving, but he needs to kick it out when he encounters traffic in the lane. If three collapse in the paint, someone has to be open. There is no more accurate shot than that one where you step into the shot. It's time to build some more confidence in the young players. Sloan, also, is a decent shooter. When they get the when to and when not to down, in this offense, they should be a tough out.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » November 11th, 2019, 7:43 am

Running the show is a new experience for him. It's probably the most difficult job to learn because it depends on knowing/anticipating the moves of 4 other people and what are the strengths and sweet spots of each of those 4-and also the subs. It's completely different. They now have a couple weeks to work on it with the benefit of the film.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 11th, 2019, 8:51 am

All three freshmen have shown good play. They'll become a bigger part of the offense as time goes on. Right now Carti is dominating the ball and that will be reduced. Weber will start drawing up a few plays for them. For example, we don't know if D Gordon is a good driver of the ball yet and won't until Carti starts giving the ball up to others. It will happen.
One thing I like is A Gordon was 0 for 2 and Murphy 0 for 2 from three. Too bad they missed but the fact they took them means they have the confidence to make them and Weber trusts them. Our offense will look pretty good if those two guys start dropping a couple of threes during games. Defense will have to honor them and the inside will open up.

McGuirl has been extremely solid in his play so far. Not spectacular but tough on D, low turnovers and against UNLV hit some important shots. I also expect him to continue to be a bigger part of the offense as the season goes on. They are setting a few screens to open him up for short jumpers. Once he gets his three falling on more volume, they can run motion and get him some open threes off screens and ball movement as we did for Rodney.

Weber has lots of different parts to get going on offense and will be interested to see how much motion he starts to run as the season goes on vs the four out offense.