KSU vs UNLV Game Notes and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Ksustephens

Re: KSU vs UNLV Game Notes and Thread

Post by Ksustephens » November 9th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Thanks to Weber for not making an OFer Wildcat nation! These guys will just get better and a gutsy road win down one of your best guys at the end

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 9th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Good win on the road. Poor shooting, too many tovs and poor defensive boards. Great defense.

Freshman all delivered some good play. Doesn't matter how we win. Keep working to develop this team and give the freshman larger roles as they get more experience. I saw some good things from all three.

Sloan had a bad game. I hope SNW can get back in the fold and compete with him. Looks to me like we can use a little better play from our primary ball handler. In other words, Carti needs to learn how to pass the ball.
Last edited by xtrawildcat on November 10th, 2019, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » November 9th, 2019, 11:54 pm

Not a thing of beauty except in the win column but was a good win for a team playing several new guys and guys in new roles in their first true road game. And while UNLV isn’t great, they’re not terrible either.

That’s two down and move on to the next one.

Coach314

Post by Coach314 » November 9th, 2019, 11:54 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm
bigpurpleman wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 6:50 pm
If our offense is going to count on the 3 pt. shot we are doomed. 27 of them and 23 were clankers. Good grief.
I dont understand the offense we were "running", lots and lots of standing around then someone would go 1 on 1. Hopefully the staff can use this game as a teaching tool.
Offense looks the same as last year....just had better one on one players last year. Offense against the zone...pass it around the perimeter (while the defense barely moves) till someone feels like they have a good shot. Offense against man...pass it around the perimeter. Either shoot it or call for a pick to clear space for a wing to get to the basket.

learnin

Post by learnin » November 10th, 2019, 1:46 am

What a fantastic win! When's the last time we had a true road win this early in the season against a solid opponent? As xtra said, Carti needs to learn how to pass the ball, especially to Dajuan Gordon. Throughout the exhibition, and two games, I get the feeling he doesn't want Dajuan shooting much. I could be wrong, but D. Gordon needs to be putting up some of those 3's he, and Xavier, are chucking. When you can't throw it in the ocean, let someone else have a try.

We're playing 3 freshmen and we are 2-0 against solid opponents with one true road game. This is the best start this program has had in a while. Already, this team has a resume win. Yesterday, you had three freshmen, on the road, playing a physical, decent team and they helped us to a victory. What's not to like? The outside shooting was horrid, but how's that different than most years. Think of what this team is capable of if the shots begin falling.

A successful team needs some breaks. Well, the first one is in the bag. We could've lost this one, but we pulled out a close one. This is not to take anything away from a gutsy performance.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » November 10th, 2019, 6:00 am

learnin wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 1:46 am
What a fantastic win! When's the last time we had a true road win this early in the season against a solid opponent?

We're playing 3 freshmen and we are 2-0 against solid opponents with one true road game. This is the best start this program has had in a while.
learnin': you kNOW I don't often agree with you. But what a nice, realistic post! I think you nailed it.

there's a hell of a lot more to be happy about than to be grumpy over. to do what we've done so far and have an unblemished record? take it. take it EVERY dang day!

I don't live in fear of losses. I love watching these kids play, learn, grow ... and the teamwork along the way.

Let's be honest here: how many (show of hands) think this team blows out the league and wins the conference going away?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » November 10th, 2019, 8:04 am

We White Sox fans have a hallowed phrase, born in the memorable yet bitter 1977 ultimately losing campaign against the Royals: Winning Ugly. Weber teams, until they master the motion (some never do), win ugly. Embrace it.

Catinkansas

Post by Catinkansas » November 10th, 2019, 8:07 am

Maybe as the season progresses, but no big men flashing to the high post to start the offense. The ball movement is what separates teams having an off shooting night succeeding to those who just throw up jumpers or flash to the basket. I hope we see some improvement in movement as the non-conference season continues, otherwise it will be a long season in the Big 12.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 10th, 2019, 10:14 am

i remember when wes was a senior, his first few games trying too hard. that's where carti is at and sneed as well. this will all smooth out with time. hell of gutsy win for bruceketballers.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » November 10th, 2019, 11:23 am

The play of the season so far (yes, I know we're only two games into it), IMO, was Murphy's take to the basket for a 3-point play. Why was this so important? Part of it was the timing, and more important was the initiative it showed. D. Gordon's 3-pointer from the corner was important, but not nearly as important as Murphy's. Yes, Gordon made the clutch shot, but he was standing behind the line waiting for the ball, as he should have been doing. It was someone else who set him up for the score. I'm not minimizing this moment, it was 3 points we really needed, but he was either going to make it or miss it. In Murphy's case, he took it upon himself to make a play - an aggressive one. It came at a time in the game where the veterans were taking over the offense - but yet here was a freshman who had enough confidence to make a veteran play.

There's another reason this play was so important. It set a bar for the other freshmen, and showed them that just being out on the court and filling out a 5-man team was not enough. There is, and should be more expected of them. We've seen too many players over the years defer to upperclassmen. I happen to think that's poppycock. If the opportunity presents itself, any player should use their skills to help the team win. Freshmen, that's why you were recruited!