Espn +

The defending Big XII Champions
hilltopwildcat

Re: Espn +

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 20th, 2019, 9:06 am

E-mail sent to Mr. Taylor 8:19, reply received at 8:46. I'll share with anyone. Send PM (warning, may be around noon or later today).

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » September 20th, 2019, 9:29 am

A whole bunch of rural Kansas has poor internet speeds. Hence, a whole bunch of KSU fans are getting screwed.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » September 20th, 2019, 9:51 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:29 am
A whole bunch of rural Kansas has poor internet speeds. Hence, a whole bunch of KSU fans are getting screwed.
You're not going to convince a few of the Einsteins on here of that. They think everybody should just pay $5 and be happy, despite piss poor service and being lied to. There is a reason that they don't care what we think, because there are so many people that'll keep being puppets when being taken advantage of.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » September 20th, 2019, 10:03 am

wild@nite wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:51 am
ToledoCat#2 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:29 am
You're not going to convince a few of the Einsteins on here of that. They think everybody should just pay $5 and be happy, despite piss poor service and being lied to. There is a reason that they don't care what we think, because there are so many people that'll keep being puppets when being taken advantage of.

The bigger problem is that ESPN doesn't give two craps about the rural people of Kansas and quite honestly, they don't really care about KSU for the most part. We can all email Gene Taylor till the cows come home, but I highly doubt he has much say either as it relates to who ESPN decides to put on the +Network. Sure, he is in the room at negotiations, but I would imagine he can cry and gripe all he wants and the ESPN people will just shake their heads and then do whatever they want anyway. I guess I just feel like emailing Taylor is fine, but how much can he really do??

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » September 20th, 2019, 10:08 am

Okay, so most agree that it is not about the $5.00, but that 'we were lied to"

I don't follow all that closely the inner workings of the athletic department or ESPN for that matter. My question is: "Lied to by who?"

Did someone guarantee that only one game would be on ESPN+ or something? How did they make this guarantee? I suppose KSU gets a portion of the $5.00. No?

All I know if I trek up to the KSU games (which I do for two or three games a year) from the Dallas area it is a 1000 mile round trip, Ticket cost is $150, Hotel $200+, Food/bevs $100. Gas $200 and 16 hours of travel. Sometimes it is 100+ degrees, other times we sit in a cold, windy rain. Occasionally it is beautiful.

So, if there are a few games on ESPN+ and it cost me $5.00 to have a few friends over to watch I guess we could sit around and bitch about being 'lied to' or we could sit back and count our blessings that it is FOOTBALL SEASON again and we have a really interesting team with a new look and outlook.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

Number8son

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » September 20th, 2019, 10:13 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:06 am
E-mail sent to Mr. Taylor 8:19, reply received at 8:46. I'll share with anyone. Send PM (warning, may be around noon or later today).

The only way to get their attention is to withhold contributions. I would think there is a large group of alumni who feel betrayed in the cities as well because they don't have a consistent ISP either.

Number8son

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » September 20th, 2019, 10:23 am

jabba wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:14 am
Im not sure what rural is and why you cant get decent internet. What Id say is I live in wakefield population 1000. I have fiber. something I couldn't get even when I lived in MHK. While I am a bit miffed about having to pay 5 dollars a month for something that had been free before I have no problem. I cut the cord years ago. I understand if you live in an area that doesn't have a quality internet connection it would be more of an issue but those are few and far between. People don't like change. They have had "cable" all their lives pay a billion dollars a month for it and are now upset about ESPN+ so I can understand that too but the way forward is gonna be ala carte. I havent had cable since 2013. I have high speed net, Netflix, prime, and then when the football season kicks off I turn on hulu TV until basketball is over then I turn that off. It saves me money over having to have a cable commitment that doesn't even provide coverage I want. Also its funny because people seem to forget that not that long ago you were lucky to get two football games televised a year. Also if you think the "rural" folks need to revolt, well good luck to you.
I could fly to every game if I wanted to now if I had the time. Enjoy the games in Wakefield. This is 2019, not 1988. As long as majority gets it forget about the minority, huh? Sounds very enlightened.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 20th, 2019, 10:57 am

jabba wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:14 am
Im not sure what rural is and why you cant get decent internet. What Id say is I live in wakefield population 1000. I have fiber. something I couldn't get even when I lived in MHK. While I am a bit miffed about having to pay 5 dollars a month for something that had been free before I have no problem. I cut the cord years ago. I understand if you live in an area that doesn't have a quality internet connection it would be more of an issue but those are few and far between. People don't like change. They have had "cable" all their lives pay a billion dollars a month for it and are now upset about ESPN+ so I can understand that too but the way forward is gonna be ala carte. I havent had cable since 2013. I have high speed net, Netflix, prime, and then when the football season kicks off I turn on hulu TV until basketball is over then I turn that off. It saves me money over having to have a cable commitment that doesn't even provide coverage I want. Also its funny because people seem to forget that not that long ago you were lucky to get two football games televised a year. Also if you think the "rural" folks need to revolt, well good luck to you.
You're fortunate Twin Valley covers it, along with several other small towns in the area. I live about 5 miles north of you, and excluding cellular internet, satellite is the only thing I can get. Too slow to really stream, 20gb/month download limit(before it's throttled down), $93/month. I'll find ways around it by mirroring from my phone as a hotspot, but even then, plenty of potential reliability and quality issues.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » September 20th, 2019, 11:06 am

RichardZ wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 10:08 am
Okay, so most agree that it is not about the $5.00, but that 'we were lied to"

I don't follow all that closely the inner workings of the athletic department or ESPN for that matter. My question is: "Lied to by who?"

Did someone guarantee that only one game would be on ESPN+ or something? How did they make this guarantee? I suppose KSU gets a portion of the $5.00. No?

All I know if I trek up to the KSU games (which I do for two or three games a year) from the Dallas area it is a 1000 mile round trip, Ticket cost is $150, Hotel $200+, Food/bevs $100. Gas $200 and 16 hours of travel. Sometimes it is 100+ degrees, other times we sit in a cold, windy rain. Occasionally it is beautiful.

So, if there are a few games on ESPN+ and it cost me $5.00 to have a few friends over to watch I guess we could sit around and bitch about being 'lied to' or we could sit back and count our blessings that it is FOOTBALL SEASON again and we have a really interesting team with a new look and outlook.
That's great for you Richard, however, once again, you're reading skills lack. Many people have less than capable internet services. Not just in Kansas either. You'd bitch too if it effected you. We get it though, it doesn't effect you, so maybe just stay neutral?

It does effect many though, PLUS being lied to. Now.... have someone interpret this one for you before responding please.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 20th, 2019, 12:11 pm

So man used to walk. Then he tamed horses. Then he invented the car. So I'm supposed to be happy to go back to a horse because I have no access to a car?