ESPN+ (Gene responded)

The defending Big XII Champions
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

ESPN+ (Gene responded)

Post by wild@nite » September 19th, 2019, 2:20 pm

I sent GT an email last night and got an answer today. I'm not going to copy/paste because not all had to do with ESPN+, however he did say that ESPN "added" this game on their own and that there are going to be more conversations about ESPN+ at upcoming meetings and thanked me for my perspective. He said the basis of the deal was to "explore" the digital side of things. He was very vague and avoided addressing how many people with no or poor internet were getting hosed with this game, especially since it was supposed to only be 1 game.

I did get the impression in his reply that it has not been too popular with our fanbase.

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » September 19th, 2019, 2:27 pm

"Not to popular with our fanbase" may be an understatement!

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 19th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I sent a constructive email today giving my perspective and would encourage anybody else who isn't pleased with it, to do so as well. gtaylor@kstatesports.com
Last edited by KsJoey on September 19th, 2019, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinsleycat » September 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Just like I figured, the conference AD's and Bowlsby are just talking puppets, subject to whatever ESecPN tells them to say. Thanks to the guys for sending the e-mails to the administration putting voice to our concerns.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 19th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Gene quickly responded to my email, thanking me for my input and that he would certainly talk about this with ESPN and the conference office.

ToledoCat#2
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » September 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Just sent Mr. Taylor a congenial letter explaining that I feel the ESPN+ contract leaves a lot of "forgotten fans" out in the rural hinterlands.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » September 19th, 2019, 9:35 pm

I just sent mine as well.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

DCSCAT75

Post by DCSCAT75 » September 19th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Sent an email a week ago, never got any response.

Number8son

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » September 19th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Perhaps the only thing KSU will understand if rural alumni withhold donations and eliminate KSU from their wills until something changes.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » September 20th, 2019, 7:04 am

Number8son wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 11:26 pm
Perhaps the only thing KSU will understand if rural alumni withhold donations and eliminate KSU from their wills until something changes.
It's not just rural America. The one thing I have not seen discussed in any of these numerous threads that are going about this topic, is WHO is it that donates to the university? Older people give their cash. Not 20-somethings. A lot of older people like my parents have no interest in downloading/streaming/adding services they don't want or need. Do this to too many of them and see what happens to the overall donations coming in.
I may be wrong here, but there may be some change in cash flow coming in when a good portion of your LOYAL fan base is essentially shut out from watching their team. They are all already shelling out big dollars for their cable subscriptions. When the best game in your conference for that weekend (and the basketball game with last years co-champs----WTH??) is relegated to ESPN-Pay-Per-View........where does it go from here. THAT is what concerns me.
For me, it's just $5 so I will get it for the weekend just like I did for the earlier game this season and then cancel it. Again. I live 1/2 way across the country so spending $5 for a game ticket is a no brainer for me.
But I don't think the powers that be are thinking about the fan base that doesn't think like I am, so..............
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.