We should have a decent team this year.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Highway26north

Re: We should have a decent team this year.

Post by Highway26north » August 13th, 2019, 9:26 am

bhoovy wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm
One other comment on Beard. If we had to replace Weber and could pick one coach currently coaching in the Big12, my first choice is Beard, even over Self. I may be in the minority or even on an island by myself but that’s who I choose.
You're not in the minority!

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » August 13th, 2019, 9:35 am

To me it's a given that Diarra will take a substantial leap forward. Before his injury he was starting to assert himself and be a force. He can be
Barry Brown II.

Not so confident that Mawien will, but if he can stay on the court and be strong with the ball it would be a huge addition.

Finally, what about SNL? He may be sort of where Diarra was last year. Hopefully he's working on his shot-If he's a real threat from the
arc it will open up for the rest of his game. If both he and Mawien make plausible strides this team will perform well above projections.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » August 13th, 2019, 10:18 am

I think DGordan and Murphy will be K State legends before they are done. It will be fun watching them develop and blend with the experienced players. I bet Levi makes a big jump in development.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » August 13th, 2019, 11:59 am

What I like about this team is the overall talent level, the nice mix of youth and experience, and the diversity in the styles of play. Should be a lot of fun to watch them and to watch Weber coach them. I look for McGuirl to really step it up on offense. I think he role played last year and focused on improving his D but will really broaden his game now.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » August 13th, 2019, 1:40 pm

The guards will be a lot of fun if they let learn early that they just have to let it loose and play loose. When McGuirl and Diarra played loose and attacking with confidence, they are great. I think when SNL gets fully comfortable, it will be fun to watch. Expect it to be a guard/forward scoring offense until the young forwards get it going.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » August 13th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Some are probably tired of me talking about Bruce Weber saying how Illinois did not allow him to recruit his kind of players while there. I wonder if we are seeing what he means with players such as Wes, Barry, X, Cartier & McGuirl. These guys have been tough, tenacious, and have continued to grow and evolve during there time with coach Weber. Wes & possibly Barry have grown their games to NBA levels.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » August 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Weber was responsible for the type of players he recruited to Illinois. He may have recruited a different type of player to meet what he perceived as fans expectations but it was still his decision who he recruited. Just as KSU did not cause him to recruit Harris, Harris and Foster.
He has had some success now and should be able to be pickier about who he takes but regardess, the players on the team are the result of his decisions.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » August 16th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I like these players, but there are some big shoes to fill. For the last two years, when we needed a good shot we went to Dean; The clock was running out we got the ball to Barry. When we needed a stop or a big shot, the 3 seniors usually hit it (or made the pass). Who steps into those roles? Can they produce in big moments? They were also really good team defenders. Can we be cohesive defensively without them? I think if we shoot the 3 well, take care of the ball, and gel on D, we finish middle of the pack and make the tournament for the 4th straight year.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » August 17th, 2019, 9:10 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Weber was responsible for the type of players he recruited to Illinois. He may have recruited a different type of player to meet what he perceived as fans expectations but it was still his decision who he recruited. Just as KSU did not cause him to recruit Harris, Harris and Foster.
He has had some success now and should be able to be pickier about who he takes but regardess, the players on the team are the result of his decisions.
Maybe, but, based upon what he said, I think he would disagree.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 17th, 2019, 1:52 pm

do you think self would have cut foster? :lol:
Why is there something rather than nothing?