Has anyone heard how practices are going?

The defending Big XII Champions
PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Re: Has anyone heard how practices are going?

Post by PurpleWildcat » August 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm

wild@nite wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 10:54 am
iowa_wildcat wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 6:31 am
opcatzen, the Bill Snyder era at Kansas State is over. Information flows freely from the coaching staff and players. Yes, assistant coaches are now allowed and encouraged to speak to the media. The Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita, and Manhattan newspapers are full of news. Facebook and Twitter overflow with information. KMAN radio has a program called "The Game" on from 4-6 PM on week days with a podcast available if you are not free when the program airs. You might even try the university's website: k-statesports.com.

I cannot fathom where you have been hiding in order to need to ask the questions you posted.
Believe it or not, some people don't take part in Facebook or Twitter. Some people are perfectly happy in life not being "connected" 24/7. I check KState football's twitter so I can keep up on football, but I don't tweet. I refuse to take part in Facebook. I watch very little TV, unless there is a game on. In short, I can understand how someone could be out of the loop. Some people don't feel the need to know everything that is happening around them 24/7. It's actually pretty dang peaceful.

All of my KState news comes from KState's twitter that I check once a day, this board, or from mouth of people I know that have some ties. That's the way I like it.
:fistbump: I'm right there with you. I know nothing about "twittering"!

SkeeterZX190

Post by SkeeterZX190 » August 14th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Off topic but if you haven't listened to the Boscoe"s Boys podcast with Zac Diles, I would highly recommend it. He shares some insight into the recruiting issues K-State had over the last several years. It's no wonder we were on the decline.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » August 14th, 2019, 10:32 pm

PurpleWildcat wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm
wild@nite wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 10:54 am

Believe it or not, some people don't take part in Facebook or Twitter. Some people are perfectly happy in life not being "connected" 24/7. I check KState football's twitter so I can keep up on football, but I don't tweet. I refuse to take part in Facebook. I watch very little TV, unless there is a game on. In short, I can understand how someone could be out of the loop. Some people don't feel the need to know everything that is happening around them 24/7. It's actually pretty dang peaceful.

All of my KState news comes from KState's twitter that I check once a day, this board, or from mouth of people I know that have some ties. That's the way I like it.
:fistbump: I'm right there with you. I know nothing about "twittering"!
That's because you guys aren't "twits". I don't twit either.
EMAW

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » August 14th, 2019, 10:34 pm

SkeeterZX190 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 9:04 pm
Off topic but if you haven't listened to the Boscoe"s Boys podcast with Zac Diles, I would highly recommend it. He shares some insight into the recruiting issues K-State had over the last several years. It's no wonder we were on the decline.
Cliff notes version? We know things were messed up, that was obvious (from the recruiting front). Just curious on the root cause (s).
EMAW

purplemob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by purplemob » August 15th, 2019, 12:18 am

Tbonespop wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 10:34 pm
SkeeterZX190 wrote:
Cliff notes version? We know things were messed up, that was obvious (from the recruiting front). Just curious on the root cause (s).
Honestly Tbone you should just go give it a listen. I really don’t think a cliff notes version would do it justice. Here’s the link:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0c ... 5844346334

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » August 15th, 2019, 10:26 am

Tbonespop wrote:
SkeeterZX190 wrote:

I just listened, and it was pretty good, although I will say, I think Diles just said a lot of things publicly that many have been thinking for quite a while. As for Cliff notes, first he said KSU was his dream school in high school because Randy Jordan went to his high school so he was watching as a high school Junior/senior in California watching KSU beat USC, beat OU for the Big 12, etc. and wanted to come here. When he came in 2005, he said things were a bit shaky with the team coming off the bad year, and Coach Snyder really clamped down and it was really strict. He said he actually enjoyed 2006 because of Raheem, Franklin, etc but that he is still salty about losing to Louisville, Baylor and KU that year, he thought they should have won 9-10 games.

He started voicing frustration in recent years because of what he perceived as KSU not keeping up with the trends of modern college football, especially with recruiting. He said his brother is a high school coach in LA and had a beast a few years back and so Zach turned Seiler on to the kid, KSU offered, but then didn't even talk to the kid for two years.

He is very passionate about KSU and KSU football. He basically said he has been frustrated because we were losing to every good team we played, and it was for no other reason than that we weren't trying hard enough. He gave props to Coach Snyder, but basically said we have fallen behind only because we weren't trying to keep up.

He likes the fresh new approach. He believes the players were miserable the last few years because he knows how Coach Snyder clamped down when things weren't going well because he lived it in 2005 and he said that is why we have seen the recent attrition. He is on board with Coach Kleiman because he says 7 titles is 7 titles, no matter what level. He loves that we already have 18 commits when in most years at this point we would maybe have 3 or 4. He pointed out that waiting so long in recruiting has led to having to take chances on kids late that had other options fall through and those kids weren't committed and it was easy for them to leave because they were only at KSU because it was their last, best option.

That is a bit of a Cliff Notes version. It is a good listen if you have 45 minutes to kill.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » August 15th, 2019, 11:49 am

Gorhoops wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 10:26 am
Tbonespop wrote:

I just listened, and it was pretty good, although I will say, I think Diles just said a lot of things publicly that many have been thinking for quite a while. As for Cliff notes, first he said KSU was his dream school in high school because Randy Jordan went to his high school so he was watching as a high school Junior/senior in California watching KSU beat USC, beat OU for the Big 12, etc. and wanted to come here. When he came in 2005, he said things were a bit shaky with the team coming off the bad year, and Coach Snyder really clamped down and it was really strict. He said he actually enjoyed 2006 because of Raheem, Franklin, etc but that he is still salty about losing to Louisville, Baylor and KU that year, he thought they should have won 9-10 games.

He started voicing frustration in recent years because of what he perceived as KSU not keeping up with the trends of modern college football, especially with recruiting. He said his brother is a high school coach in LA and had a beast a few years back and so Zach turned Seiler on to the kid, KSU offered, but then didn't even talk to the kid for two years.

He is very passionate about KSU and KSU football. He basically said he has been frustrated because we were losing to every good team we played, and it was for no other reason than that we weren't trying hard enough. He gave props to Coach Snyder, but basically said we have fallen behind only because we weren't trying to keep up.

He likes the fresh new approach. He believes the players were miserable the last few years because he knows how Coach Snyder clamped down when things weren't going well because he lived it in 2005 and he said that is why we have seen the recent attrition. He is on board with Coach Kleiman because he says 7 titles is 7 titles, no matter what level. He loves that we already have 18 commits when in most years at this point we would maybe have 3 or 4. He pointed out that waiting so long in recruiting has led to having to take chances on kids late that had other options fall through and those kids weren't committed and it was easy for them to leave because they were only at KSU because it was their last, best option.

That is a bit of a Cliff Notes version. It is a good listen if you have 45 minutes to kill.
Thanks for the information. Yeah, I think the things he mentioned are things we have been hearing in recent months through the grapevine.

For me, it goes back to what I said in previous posts. I will be eternally grateful to Coach Snyder for pulling K-State football off of the mat and turning it into a respectable program. However, it became obvious to most people that Coach Snyder should have hung it up for good once he got the program back on its feet after the Ron Prince experiment. Looking back, 2012 (after winning the Big 12) would have been the best time, but certainly after the season he was diagnosed with throat cancer. Getting good recruits and assistant coaches is hard when you know the head coach could hang it up at any moment.

Recruiting has picked up again. I also like the new staff's emphasis of getting the best athletes on the field and getting the ball into the hands of playmakers. Freshman Chris Herron is a good example of this. He was recruited as a QB, but right now is probably 4th or 5th on the depth chart. However, this staff recognized his athleticism and is (apparently) trying him out at receiver, where we lack depth. The same may eventually happen with Holcombe, depending on how Ast and Jaren Lewis develop (not to mentioned Will Howard in the 2020 class).

It also sounds like the players are having fun again, which is important for keeping a positive attitude, which helps in terms of how well they play and even for future recruiting (the players talk to recruits), not to mention attrition with the current players.

So far I really like what I see.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » August 15th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Ast seems to know the playbook better and is a hard worker and is an accurate passer. He can keep plays alive with mobility, but probably not the best running QB.

Holcombe looks more physically gifted, has the biggest arm of any of the QBs, and seems to has a higher ceiling. Holcombe also has a much bigger frame, can take hits, and can knock over defenders running the ball. But can he run an offense?

Herron was a commit to the old staff that the new staff wasn't going to discard. He has a lot of athletic ability that can be used elsewhere on the field, and WR could be it.

Lewis seemed like the new staff wanted to get a QB in the class they were comfortable with as they didn't know what QBs they would have to work with going forward, and having already recruited him at NDSU, they got Lewis in a short term fix.

Howard, if he stays, seems like he would be a better shot over Lewis in the future given they had more time to get a QB they wanted, and not one they had shorter amount of time to pick up.

I think they should recruit a QB in every class. Get a smart, athletic QB, and if he doesn't win the QB job, he can play many other positions. Think of all the other former QBs turned to other positions: SS (Brock Monty, Ty Zimmerman), or WR (Chris Harper), or LB (Justin Tuggle)

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » August 15th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Gotta love Diles. Just a good dude and 100% EMAW. The world needs more people like him.
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » August 17th, 2019, 1:14 pm

I heard that our starting FB (Adam Harter) got hurt in practice and may be out for the season. (Ugh)

We can't afford any more major injuries to our senior starters. Hopefully, like Hughes, he can get a medical redshirt and come back next season.

So I wonder who fills in as starter? Luke Sowa? Jax Dineen (even though he is a true freshman)? I have heard some speculate that they might even put Nick Lenners in there. That seemed odd to me since they are projecting him as the starting TE.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln