Recruiting Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
IStillLikeHarv

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by IStillLikeHarv » June 14th, 2019, 2:38 pm

No surprise. Blake picked UNLV.

To be honest, he didn't look like he would play for KSU all that soon, which may have been the deciding factor.

I am not sure that going for another shooting guard (unless he is a lights out shooter) would be my first choice. It may make sense to keep the scholarship open (give a one-year ride to someone) while waiting to see how Love and Shadd do this coming season. Replacing Mawien has to be the biggest concern for the 2020 season in my view.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » June 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I will preface as saying I like this recruiting class. But dang, this staff is not good at recruiting. They have an extremely hard time closing the deal. Imagine how good Kstate would be is Bruce could sign the guys who are targets and not settle for getting 2nd, 3rd or 4 options. Obviously that's a generalization(and not always true), but dang, Bruce needs better recruiters/asst coaches working for him.

The fact that Bruce has had so much success in turning non-top 100 guys into All League Caliber players is a testament to him as a coach. It's almost a little Snyder-like. Bruce would probably be taking this program to new heights we have never seen, if he could sign even 1/2 of his 1st choice players.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » June 14th, 2019, 3:33 pm

KsJoey wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm
I like this recruiting class. But dang, this staff is not good at recruiting. They have an extremely hard time closing the deal. Imagine how good Kstate would be is Bruce could sign the guys who are targets and not settle for getting 2nd, 3rd or 4 options. Obviously that's a generalization(and not always true), but dang, Bruce needs better recruiters/asst coaches working for him.

It seems to me that they got the guys they wanted in the early recruiting period, which is why we both like this class. The spring and summer recruits are more of a mixed bag in my view. In general you tend to get JUCO's in the spring, so that is a separate case, and I like Sloan. When it comes to high school players, the guys still available in spring and summer tend to be either very highly ranked guys waiting on blue blood offers (often after the NBA draft withdrawal date) or some type of late bloomer like Caleb Grill.

In the case of Blake, he made a lot of sense to me as a 2019 when KSU didn't know if Sneed was going to return or not. Once Sneed decided to return, then to me Blake was a lesser priority. Obviously the coaches may not see it that way, but that is my take. As I noted, I am more interested in the big man situation with Mawien leaving next season. With the guards that KSU has already -- now including Pack -- I don't see as big a need for a player like Blake. Again, just my view. Now the right grad transfer or even a quality Euro big could still make sense to me, but who knows. Saving this scholarship for next season when more is known about how the current guys do this season may make some sense.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » June 14th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Not sweating this kid at all. I might be wrong, but I just didn't see it with him. I am completely anti-redshirting in P6 basketball. I prefer kids transfer out if they are not contributing by their 3rd year and most will not want to lose a 2nd year if they have redshirted already.

As far as this class goes, I think they got the top targets in the early class. KSU might not be going after the HS AA like we wish they could, but these guys look like good 4 year players. No need to sign a project for the last ship unless it is a single year grad-transfer that can at least help in practice.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 14th, 2019, 5:14 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:15 am
AJcat7755 wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 10:28 am
Nick Blake via twitter:

"Tomorrow @ 12pm !! I have made my decision !"

Does he stay home at UNLV, or does he play for a Power Conference school?
I would say most likely he stays home and plays for UNLV. I'm not basing that on any inside information (I have none). It's just a gut feeling. I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I don't think anyone here, including myself, was surprised. I wish him well, though.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » June 14th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Guys. As long as the NCAA allows people to cheat, we aren't getting very many top 100 players, unless they don't want to play for a perrenial top 10 team. I don't think all kids are on the take, but they want to play on "great" teams. The great teams are the bluebloods who are proven cheaters. They have the market and it's a viscous cycle.

I'll give Bruce credit for doing things with integrity. When you play the recruiting game fair, you're not going to land too many top 100 type players. This is why the NCAA sickens me.

I'm not a huge fan of Bruce's style of offensive basketball, but I'm in his corner here.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm

DaJuan Gordon is now rated by Rivals as the 71st best player in the 2019 class.

This is the highest rated recruit ever by Weber, and the 2nd highest behind McGruder since the 2007 class.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » July 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Nigel Pack is a verbal commit for 2010. 5ft 10 point guard. He played extremely well at Peach Jam. Regardless where he is ranked by recruiting services, this guy will keep us playing a high level of ball for another 4 years.

Averaged 21 points and 8 assists per game at Peach Jam.

https://twitter.com/nijelpack24?lang=en

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » July 15th, 2019, 10:34 pm

If Pack comes in 2020, following what looks like a very good 2019 class, we are looking like a competitive team for years to come. We obviously lost a lot this year, and I don’t expect a Big 12 title in the next couple of seasons, but I think we will continue to at least compete for NCAA tournament bids.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » July 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm
Nigel Pack is a verbal commit for 2010. 5ft 10 point guard. He played extremely well at Peach Jam. Regardless where he is ranked by recruiting services, this guy will keep us playing a high level of ball for another 4 years.

Averaged 21 points and 8 assists per game at Peach Jam.

https://twitter.com/nijelpack24?lang=en
Agreed, he looks to be a very good PG. He seems solid on his verbal, and I hope it stays that way.