Weber coaching USA 19U team

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: Weber coaching USA 19U team

Post by tmcats » May 16th, 2019, 10:22 am

martin had some awesome talent here, for sure. too bad he couldn't do much with it sans getting run to usc,e.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

mustang

Post by mustang » May 16th, 2019, 11:09 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:16 am
mustang wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:35 am

I will take the words of people who have an actual connection to the program over you
Certainly....but then you don't even know who I am or who I talk to that's "connected to the program". Or then I could just be pulling this out of thin air, you don't really know do you. I'll guarantee it wasn't just 1 big booster.
I'm the outsider here, not a K-State fan and I have zero emotional attachment to whether they win or lose unless they are playing my alma mater or the school that my son is currently attending (Arizona State) . I do work with two people who I would say have a good connection to the program. One is a former player from the late 90's and the other was on the equipment staff when Bill Snyder returned after a three year retirement. Both have stated that Coach Snyder wanted to continue as head coach and was not allowed that option by the current athletic director. That's all I got, got a three hour drive to Lubbock, wish me luck.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 16th, 2019, 11:30 am

it's pretty clear that coach snyder was shown the door, gracefully. debating the point is like saying everyone arguing about abortion has already been born. he didn't leave because he wanted to.
Last edited by tmcats on May 16th, 2019, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 16th, 2019, 11:30 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 11:48 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 5:37 pm
Until Weber can consistently recruit well thought of players over 6-9, I am going to be somewhat pessimistic. Guards, we do fine to excellent. Small forward, likewise. Maybe he can find a coach who can recruit bigs. Something is screwy about this deficiency.. I hope that this position can be parlayed in to a change
Dean Wade
Dave, I have great respect of your thoughtful posts, but the key word is consistently. Not too good of.track record since Wade. Best have been Mak and Maurice.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 16th, 2019, 2:05 pm

mustang wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 11:09 am
hilltopwildcat wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:16 am

Certainly....but then you don't even know who I am or who I talk to that's "connected to the program". Or then I could just be pulling this out of thin air, you don't really know do you. I'll guarantee it wasn't just 1 big booster.
I'm the outsider here, not a K-State fan and I have zero emotional attachment to whether they win or lose unless they are playing my alma mater or the school that my son is currently attending (Arizona State) . I do work with two people who I would say have a good connection to the program. One is a former player from the late 90's and the other was on the equipment staff when Bill Snyder returned after a three year retirement. Both have stated that Coach Snyder wanted to continue as head coach and was not allowed that option by the current athletic director. That's all I got, got a three hour drive to Lubbock, wish me luck.
That is more or less what my sources have stated. They've also stated that it was a decision driven by a lot of fans and supporters. That's the AD's job, nothing personal. I do think that Gene Taylor got his point across. I just objected to the thought that it was 1 booster or family that was the reason Coach Snyder is no longer there and that is incorrect. Things stated on forums can bring on a life of their own and I just wanted to clarify what I believed to be the facts. I apologize for my attitude.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » May 16th, 2019, 5:14 pm

I had heard before seasons end that Coach Snyder had told a mutual acquaintance that he thought that last year was going to be his last, so not sure I wholly buy the "forced out" narrative. That being said, I think he wanted to give it careful consideration after the season and met with Taylor, who probably strongly recommended some staff changes or changes to get the program moving forward and I think Coach just decided it was time to step down. As for Coach Weber coaching the USA team, it is an honor but I don't think we can relate it to his clean image, based on the last two head coaches being Calipari and $ean Miller.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm

I wanted Snyder to retire, but saying it was because of 1 losing season is wrong. It was a combination of things that I'd been feeling for 2 plus years. I'm not alone. He is a legend, but it was time and I absolutely love the fresh new feel of our program. Some can't look objectively and take that as a compliment to our new staff. Everything is hating. Whatever, but he was hanging on too long. You never want to see that happen to somone you love.

I do not apologize for one second for wanting change and avoiding a catastrophic ending for a legend. I whole heartedly believe that was coming.

We can disagree, but nobody ran him off. Our A.D. saw the writing on the wall, just as much of our fanbase did.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » May 16th, 2019, 9:39 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 11:30 am
Dave, I have great respect of your thoughtful posts, but the key word is consistently. Not too good of.track record since Wade. Best have been Mak and Maurice.
SCKS, look, i get what you're saying and it pains me (you too, right Dave? :lol: ) to agree with Dave. I just look at the reality and have to ask - given your criteria, not sure which coach we've had since and including the hartman epoch who would not 'be under great scrutiny' from you.

I can't remember any coach putting together back to back 'good/great' big men.

Loved Gipson. undersized in terms of height. even at his best as a senior wouldn't make it as a classic good/great big man.

who was our LAST great/good big man? outside of Dean? 'Sarge' Coleman? Les Craft?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » May 17th, 2019, 1:00 am

tmcats wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:22 am
martin had some awesome talent here, for sure. too bad he couldn't do much with it sans getting run to usc,e.
Lol, you love to talk about the "cult of frank" but you're easily part of the "cult of weber". Both guys did some great things with KSU basketball but they also both have their faults. Never saying a negative thing about one or the other means you have a distorted sense of reality.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

mustang

Post by mustang » May 17th, 2019, 8:28 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 1:00 am
tmcats wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:22 am
Lol, you love to talk about the "cult of frank" but you're easily part of the "cult of weber". Both guys did some great things with KSU basketball but they also both have their faults. Never saying a negative thing about one or the other means you have a distorted sense of reality.
I'm not really sure what the deal is with cult of Frank, but as an outsider it's hard not to appreciate the work of Frank Martin. If someone takes South Carolina to the Final Four that certainly is a pretty big accomplishment at a school that could care less about basketball.