Beilein to Cleveland Cavs

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Kralicek

Re: Beilein to Cleveland Cavs

Post by Kralicek » May 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

Not to start any sh!t, but why is Beilien considered a "clean guy"? I question that clean guy image, but don't have anything factual. Somebody set me straight.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » May 14th, 2019, 10:01 am

Kralicek wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:51 am
Not to start any sh!t, but why is Beilien considered a "clean guy"? I question that clean guy image, but don't have anything factual. Somebody set me straight.

Mainly from a lot of the surveys and stuff that are done by the coaches, Belien is always listed as one of the cleanest in the game. Obviously it is informal, but that information comes from the guys that are in the mix, so there is some validity to it. I was listening to national radio last night and George Karl was on with Parker and Broussard talking NBA and the hiring of Belien and Karl basically said Belien is considered a stand-up guy in the business and the reason he would take an NBA job at 66 years old is probably because he is tired of recruiting and trying to deal with all of the cheating. (Karl didn't use the word "cheating,' but it was clear what he meant.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » May 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Yes, the only problem I have with Belien is that he bolted WVU for Michigan, which created the void that attracted Huggins to leave KSU after one season. I think Huggy could have done some great things at KSU.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 16th, 2019, 10:24 am

bigdeal wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Yes, the only problem I have with Belien is that he bolted WVU for Michigan, which created the void that attracted Huggins to leave KSU after one season. I think Huggy could have done some great things at KSU.
not sure what great things huggs has done at wvu and thus not sure how he'd have done even more at k-state? it's all conjecture. just remember being thoroughly ticked when he walked, but i also understood why he left. in the end, it all worked out fine.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » May 16th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Well Huggs has made the NCAA tourney 9 times, Sweet 16 five times and the Final Four once in his tenure at W Virginia. When he left KSU he had great momentum, a staff that included Frank, Delonte, and a good recruiting/overall staff. Huggins has proven he can coach with close to 800 wins, and he can recruit, and understands the value of doing so. I think KSU is a better basketball destination than WVU. It is just opinion but I think Huggy could have done great things at KSU.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

huggs has yet to win a b12 championship. he's clearly a hof coach, no doubt. i always liked him.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » May 17th, 2019, 2:17 pm

I understood why Huggs left as well, I just hated to see him go. I thought he was positioned with some good momentum, a good staff, and as a future HOF coach. I just thought some really good, possibly program transcendent things, could have happened. Maybe not, but it didn't seem beyond the realm of possibility.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » May 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Is a Final Four worth more than two league championships?? With Huggins leading Beasley, Walker, etc. I would like our chances to do something very special.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » May 18th, 2019, 10:36 pm

AlabamaLane wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Is a Final Four worth more than two league championships?? With Huggins leading Beasley, Walker, etc. I would like our chances to do something very special.
Yes it is. And for effect, tournament conference championship beats “regular” season title.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » May 19th, 2019, 8:25 am

NealyFan wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 10:36 pm
AlabamaLane wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Yes it is. And for effect, tournament conference championship beats “regular” season title.

A Final Four is pretty rare for a coach, but two Big 12 conference championships for any team not named KU is not too far away form a Final Four over the last couple of decades -- in fact it may be rarer. I disagree that the tournament championship beats the conference title. Tournament championships often involve luck of the draw and better teams not playing dinged up players who could play if it mattered. All this is limited to high major championships as well. A championship in a low or midmajor is just not the same thing.