barry in portsmouth invitational this week ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

barry in portsmouth invitational this week ...

Post by tmcats » April 15th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Why is there something rather than nothing?

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm

That's an excellent opportunity for Barry to attract pro basketball interest.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » April 15th, 2019, 9:30 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm
I guess any exposure is good. But if Barry doesn't already have interest after what he has accomplished year after year, I can't see this making him pop.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 16th, 2019, 8:23 am

epicsnyder wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:30 pm
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm
I guess any exposure is good. But if Barry doesn't already have interest after what he has accomplished year after year, I can't see this making him pop.

There is an element of "What have you done lately?" in NBA teams looking at draft prospects, particularly those on the fringe. The early exit by KSU in the NCAA, in part due to a less than stellar game by Barry, is not the best recent entry on his resume. In Portsmouth, Barry will have a chance to perform against other NBA prospects on an equal footing. It is not likely to be decisive, of course, but the timing and history of the Portsmouth Invitational make it an important opportunity to attract more attention.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 16th, 2019, 8:46 am

The Portsmouth Invitational is for fringe draft-able guys (seniors only i think). Most of what guys do in college is irrelevant to the NBA. There have been plenty of guys that have had huge numbers, but get completely overlooked by the NBA. The NBA really likes the "measurables" & Barry will be on the smaller end for a PG in the league.

If the NBA sees something in Barry that they like, that they can fix, he will have a chance of making it. I don't know how long his arms are, but he has very good instincts and quick feet and hands. His jump-shot will be his biggest issue. Not great form and not great range. If they think they can fix his form, it will greatly influence his chance of getting drafted.

That is one of the best & most unselfish things about Barry TBH...he didn't try to force a square peg into a round hole by taking a lot of shots he shouldn't have. He just had the will to win and to do it however he needed to. He works hard and will get a shot this summer.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 16th, 2019, 9:08 am

i tried to watch the nba last night and gave up. it's absolutely the worse entertainment for me and i'm not quite sure why. anyway, barry was leading scorer at the final 4 all-star game. he'll hold his own. but i'm guessing he has a long career in the europe, not the league. he was a wonderful leader, defender, and overall high-quality guard here at k-state. but if pullen couldn't make it in the nba, i can't see barry there either. the pyramid is so very tight at the top. prove me wrong, captain.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » April 19th, 2019, 11:19 am

Barry had a really bad shooting night, 1-12 and only 5 pts in 29 minutes. He’s always been streaky. If he can ever get a reliable outside shot, I think his other positives might get him a chance in the league. GM’s are going to like his defense, toughness and confidence. But, at his size, you’d better either be a reliable scorer or great assist guy on top of that.

learnin

Post by learnin » April 19th, 2019, 12:51 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 8:23 am
epicsnyder wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:30 pm

There is an element of "What have you done lately?" in NBA teams looking at draft prospects, particularly those on the fringe. The early exit by KSU in the NCAA, in part due to a less than stellar game by Barry, is not the best recent entry on his resume. In Portsmouth, Barry will have a chance to perform against other NBA prospects on an equal footing. It is not likely to be decisive, of course, but the timing and history of the Portsmouth Invitational make it an important opportunity to attract more attention.
Hopefully, the NBA will realize that Barry was placed on the bench (with two fouls as I predicted) early and probably had a lot of steam taken out of his game.....having seen the handwriting on the proverbial wall.

learnin

Post by learnin » April 19th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 11:19 am
Barry had a really bad shooting night, 1-12 and only 5 pts in 29 minutes. He’s always been streaky. If he can ever get a reliable outside shot, I think his other positives might get him a chance in the league. GM’s are going to like his defense, toughness and confidence. But, at his size, you’d better either be a reliable scorer or great assist guy on top of that.
That's always been Barry's Achilles heel. Hopefully, he will gain a consistent shot at some point, but I'm a believer that 75% of shooting is just natural gift dealt to you by the force.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » April 20th, 2019, 7:24 pm

If Barry took a class or two in Chinese it may really prove to be helpful.
Win the dang day!