Looking for a watch.

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
Mauser

Looking for a watch.

Post by Mauser » March 15th, 2019, 11:05 pm

So I decided I probably need an adult looking watch. I was wonder what you guys wear. I would like to keep it sub $200. I kind of like the Seiko 5 line but I’m open to suggestions.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 15th, 2019, 11:16 pm

I don't own one of these but these are right in your wheelhouse.

https://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections ... ns-watches

I have a Swiss Army watch I wear for casual wear that I have had for 20 years.

I have a Raymond Weil that I have worn for 30 years. Great watch but more than you wanted to spend. You can probably catch one on sale for $500 now. Swiss made and lasts for many years. I do take care of my things.

https://www.raymond-weil.us/collections ... ?offset=69

Skagen makes a nice watch and Timex has really improved as well. A MVMT or Skagen would be a quality watch that you would not see three other guys in a meeting with the same watch. MVMT is hot right now.

Here is a review of MVMT: https://weargq.com/mvmt-watches-review/

We are moving back towards smaller watches now. Get something you like because a good watch should last for over 10 years.
Win the dang day!

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » March 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Dammit Zoltar. I clicked on your MVMT link and it is popping up on this website with every click. grrrr..

Anyway, back to the subject at hand or wrist. I have always loved watches and wear on all the time even if I have a phone with me. Over the years I have bought a Rolex/Breitling and a Zodiac. Still got them and they all work brilliantly. For knock around watches you cannot beat a Citizen Eco drive. You can put one in a draw for a year and take it out and when it his light it will spin and automatically get the correct time. Amazing. I had a Citizen Night Hawk hanging up with some other watches and a contractor working in our house stole it. It was hanging up in my closet with some other timepieces, but he stole that one as it looks really cool, but it was worth a fraction of what the other watches cost. Lucky for me he chose flash over quality.

Amazon has a nice selection of Citizen watches from $85 up to the $350 or so. The decision would be do you want a sport watch or a dress watch. Or both!
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 17th, 2019, 4:07 pm

You can't go wrong with a Seiko if a Japanese watch does not bother you. I guess I drive a Japanese car. Don't forget Timex. They have upped their game the last few years. I have a Timex Triathalon that is digital and I got it 40 years ago. I only change the battery every two years and the band one time.

If you plan to keep the watch for several years repairs may factor into this. A good mechanical watch will need to be cleaned every few years. At the price point, you are looking at you would probably buy a new watch. If you get a quartz/battery watch make sure you can change the battery yourself. A battery is about a dollar. If you have a jeweler or a mall battery place do it expect to pay $25. This really adds to the cost of a $100 watch if you cannot change the battery yourself.

I just found a highly recommended place for battery replacement here in Omaha while looking for things for you so you saved me money. I do not trust myself to change the battery in my Swiss Army watch. I usually get 1 replacement for free as they 'guarantee' the replacement for 5 years and it lasts 2, but still $25 every 4 years on a $140 watch?

Another tip: Buy replacement bands on eBay. You can save a fortune there and get OEM if you want for less than 1/2 retail.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=seiko+mens+w ... s_li_ss_tl
Win the dang day!

kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinsleycat » March 28th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I've worn a Timex indiglo for the past 6 years or so. bought it at Wal-mart for about $40. It looks great and keeps perfect time. It only leaves my wrist when I shower in the evening.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » April 2nd, 2019, 10:14 pm

So, did you spring for a watch or are you still asking others for the time?
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

Mauser

Post by Mauser » April 3rd, 2019, 2:13 pm

RichardZ wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 10:14 pm
So, did you spring for a watch or are you still asking others for the time?
I’m going to let my wife get me the one I want for my birthday. I would just buy one but my daughter likes to be involved with giving presents.

Mauser

Post by Mauser » August 18th, 2019, 12:09 pm

I ended up getting a Orient Mako 2 with a blue dial.