college admissions scandal: part deaux

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Zoltar

Re: college admissions scandal: part deaux

Post by Zoltar » March 14th, 2019, 10:27 pm

There is just an irony to this. I find it very ironic that it took the FBI on a wiretap to catch this payola for players. Also, a little ironic that LSU suspends their coach but Cheatin' Bill is coaching right now.

No matter what sport was used to help these other people into college that has to be an NCAA violation as well.

When will they do something?
Win the dang day!

JazzCatDRP
Administrator

Post by JazzCatDRP » March 14th, 2019, 10:36 pm

KITNooga wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Jazz/Mods: this may be foolish of me and fated to be locked before discussion begins, but referencing a recently locked discussion, would it have not been political if the question were asked thus 'is the cheating discussed around college admissions really that different than Elizabeth Warren mistakenly claiming false heritage in applying for a Harvard position?'

the other key point to make: what constitutes the need to lock a thread? versus move it to warzone?

respect that these are/may be rhetorical questions by their very nature.

:mrgreen:
It's never foolish to ask questions about how we moderate and administer the board. I welcome it.

With regard to your first question: Yes, your example would have been political, and would have been treated the same: a reminder to keep things on topic and leave politics to G&G. Then when the thread went off topic again, I would have locked it, as I did in this case.

Your second question: the decision to lock vs. move a thread to the warzone is largely done at the discretion of the moderator. For me, there are certain threads that just need to get shut down; largely ones where it's just two posters battling back and forth. No good will come from trying to continue those discussions. The "college admissions scandal" thread could have gone either way, and probably should have actually been moved instead of locked. If you all would like to continue it, I'd be happy to unlock it and put it in the Warzone for those that want to continue unmoderated.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 15th, 2019, 2:45 pm

For those turned off by Fox News, I think this is still a good read. For everyone else, this seems to be a quick, concise detail of the problem. At 1 point it says Harvard has 40,000 applicants for 1600 students. Send them to K-State and see what product you have after graduation.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fi ... he-problem

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » March 15th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Graduating from a so-called elite school does not equate to having a good education. It only equates to having a good career network after graduating. The "elites" take care of the "elites" and that perpetuates the "higher education" scam in the U.S.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 15th, 2019, 3:35 pm

It depends on the school. I went to an Ivy school for a year before transferring back to KSU. The cost was just more than my middle-class family could afford. Also, I had to work while in school and this did not leave me enough time to study.

Everyone there was top of their class and studied all the time. It was the norm to study until 3 am during the week. I don't think the professors were that much better but the amount of coursework we did was much greater. It was the students themselves that really put the pressure on each other. It was night and day difference.

Now I hear that the hardest part of Harvard is just getting accepted. After that it was not hard.
Win the dang day!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 15th, 2019, 4:00 pm

had many a stanford mba and mit engineer working for me at chevron. always thought my jack economics degree served me well. ;-)
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 15th, 2019, 6:25 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:45 pm
For those turned off by Fox News, I think this is still a good read. For everyone else, this seems to be a quick, concise detail of the problem. At 1 point it says Harvard has 40,000 applicants for 1600 students. Send them to K-State and see what product you have after graduation.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fi ... he-problem
And in today’s environment KSU will guarantee a degree as long as they will pay tuition.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 15th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Looks like the shoes are starting to fall.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ps-scandal
Win the dang day!

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 16th, 2019, 11:17 am

Rolling up to the AD now. Lynn Swann at USC says he will not resign but the athletic department should have caught this. He does not blame admissions.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... ns-scandal
Win the dang day!

ksuatheart

Post by ksuatheart » March 17th, 2019, 8:53 am

One of the main factors in eliteness is acceptance rate. Harvard's is 5%, UT is 36%, and ours is 95%. Also we don't have the rich and famous clamoring to get into KSU, but those other schools do. Different objectives and standards, doesn't necessarily make theirs better. When you consider we have 10 times as many graduates as Harvard, we may well be having a bigger imact on society despite not having the high end applicants.

As for the BB scandal, the FBI just freed the NCAA to allow them to begin investigating, and these things are not decided quickly. They are going to let KU review information, present any findings concerning other infractions to see if KU is honest about reporting things or not, then decide if KU compliance is complicit in the cheating or providing actual oversight. It would not be unheard for KU to not be punished until after next season. I actually like this cloud of uncertainty, because KU's recruiting is suffering because kids don't want to come and get penalized for what has already happened. Kietzman even was discussing how KU's recruiting is in the crapper while this is hanging over their head. I don't follow recruiting that closely, but if it's true, then I don't mind the delay. As many years as they can destroy KU's 'advantage' is a bonus to me.