COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
genghisjon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: College Admissions Scandal

Post by genghisjon » March 13th, 2019, 11:32 pm

JazzCatDRP wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Folks, keep that "pocahontas" stuff off of k-statefans. Not the place for it. If you'd like to talk politics, please go to G&G, but I won't have this board promote terms that are racist in nature.
I don’t quite understand all the rules of these forums, or claim to know peoples’ motivations, but I read through this thread and didn’t see any of that discussion as racist, JazzCatDRP, by any definition. Nor was it political in its application, it was just a reference to an event in politics as I read it and someone else purportedly not understanding the reference. I’m not for threads going into crazy places but it seems more inferred than real in this case. The fact is it seemed an appropriate reference to the topic of cheating or lying to get admission, as I see it. Censoring it because it happened in politics seems a stretch and I certainly don’t want to unfairly judge someone as racist as that can be a damning accusation.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 13th, 2019, 11:34 pm

JazzCatDRP wrote:
Folks, keep that "pocahontas" stuff off of k-statefans. Not the place for it. If you'd like to talk politics, please go to G&G, but I won't have this board promote terms that are racist in nature.
:agree:

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 13th, 2019, 11:43 pm

genghisjon wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 11:32 pm
JazzCatDRP wrote:
I don’t quite understand all the rules of these forums, or claim to know peoples’ motivations, but I read through this thread and didn’t see any of that discussion as racist, JazzCatDRP, by any definition. Nor was it political in its application, it was just a reference to an event in politics as I read it and someone else purportedly not understanding the reference. I’m not for threads going into crazy places but it seems more inferred than real in this case. The fact is it seemed an appropriate reference to the topic of cheating or lying to get admission, as I see it. Censoring it because it happened in politics seems a stretch and I certainly don’t want to unfairly judge someone as racist as that can be a damning accusation.
Utter nonsense. The reference or comparison was inappropriate. It was not only racist it was juvenile and ignorant. Keep this DJT crap off of the basketball forum.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » March 13th, 2019, 11:43 pm

the thread was gently and deftly steered back on track, leave it there

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 14th, 2019, 12:21 am

Just like college admission should work, it is the total body of work of the individual.

You know this showed up as a deduction on her taxes. Just like Al Capone don't cheat on your taxes.

Huffman is charged (her husband, actor William H. Macy, was not charged, although he is mentioned as her "spouse" in the FBI affidavit) with a scheme to pay bribes to cheat on college entrance exams. Huffman made a $15,000 "donation" to a fake charity and in exchange, her daughter was able to take her SAT exam at a "controlled" testing center where a proctor would "secretly correct her answers afterwards," according to prosecutors.

last paragraph of this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/201 ... 150366002/

Even if Macy did not know anything about this at all if they filed a joint tax return and this 'donation' was deducted he is guilty of tax fraud. He signed so he is guilty as well.
Win the dang day!

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 14th, 2019, 4:27 am

Lying to get a job in academics is as bad as a student lying or bribing to get accepted into school. No, it is worse. Why should these students get expelled if those that run schools or work at them are not held equally accountable? It seems to me that lying to get a leg up is rampant and the tone is set at the top. Lying on a college app, sat score, job application, or anywhere is not ok in my book.

Selectively accepting some lying while demanding justice for other lying is hypocritical.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 14th, 2019, 4:28 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 11:43 pm
genghisjon wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Utter nonsense. The reference or comparison was inappropriate. It was not only racist it was juvenile and ignorant. Keep this DJT crap off of the basketball forum.
I’m not sure this thread has anything to do with b-ball.

Ksuminnesotacat

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » March 14th, 2019, 5:47 am

It dont :arg:

ksume2000

Post by ksume2000 » March 14th, 2019, 6:14 am

Zoltar wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:21 am
Even if Macy did not know anything about this at all if they filed a joint tax return and this 'donation' was deducted he is guilty of tax fraud. He signed so he is guilty as well.
From https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc205:

Types of Relief

There are three types of relief from the joint and several liability of a joint return:
1.Innocent Spouse Relief provides you relief from additional tax you owe if your spouse or former spouse failed to report income, reported income improperly or claimed improper deductions or credits.

Innocent Spouse Relief

You must meet all of the following conditions to qualify for innocent spouse relief:
•You filed a joint return that has an understatement of tax that's solely attributable to your spouse's erroneous item. An erroneous item includes income received by your spouse but omitted from the joint return. Deductions, credits, and property basis are also erroneous items if they're incorrectly reported on the joint return
•You establish that at the time you signed the joint return you didn't know, and had no reason to know, that there was an understatement of tax and
•Taking into account all the facts and circumstances, it would be unfair to hold you liable for the understatement of tax

ksuatheart

Post by ksuatheart » March 14th, 2019, 7:23 am

This thread started with speculation about a connection between this scandal and the Addidas/Nike/Under Armor scandal.

Major difference: That scandal is attempting to influence where elite athletes decide to go to school. This one has to do with parents trying to circumvent the school's selection process to get their students through the extremely selective admissions process.

Similarities: Big money changing hands. Both are probably being handled by the same department of the FBI, although with thousands of agents, they aren't necessarily the same ones working on both cases. Individuals in the athletic departments, which already are in a business where individuals have significant incentives to cheat (get good players to keep their jobs or get larger contracts for success) are directly profitting from using their position to help somebody corrupt the system.

I wonder if the high amount of money out their probably draws people who love money so much they may be more willing to break the rules for financial gain. But then again, maybe ordinary people are no better, but most have no chance to act on it. Of course, with the coaches, it might be the draw of glory and being the best, and the money is just a secondary since most end up making more than they will ever spend.