Nebraska corn farmers outraged by Trump’s broken promises

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
Post Reply
xtrawildcat
Posts: 3828
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 111 times

Nebraska corn farmers outraged by Trump’s broken promises

Post by xtrawildcat » August 31st, 2019, 9:35 am

Must be a bunch of whiners.

Joint statement by Nebraska Corn Board and Nebraska Corn Growers Association.

https://nebraskacorn.gov/news-releases/ ... ltoaction/

Nebraska corn farmers outraged by Trump’s broken promises
As harvest approaches after an extremely difficult year for agriculture, many Nebraska corn farmers are outraged by the Trump administration’s lack of support for the American farmer. The Nebraska Corn Board and the Nebraska Corn Growers Association call upon the administration to fulfill its promises and to abide by the law and uphold the integrity of the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).

President Trump’s administration continues to erode the RFS by granting 31 unjustified refinery waivers, destroying demand for corn and ultimately choosing to bail out the oil industry rather than helping American farmers. Corn farmers are already suffering from ongoing trade disputes, uncertain weather and continued low prices.

“I’ve never experienced anything like this,” said David Bruntz, chairman of the Nebraska Corn Board and farmer from Friend. “All we’re getting is lip service. At one moment, we think President Trump is on our side, and then the refinery waivers come through. It’s truly a slap in the face. Farmers are hurting and it just keeps getting worse.”

Along with undermining the RFS, the U.S. has made little progress in trade. A new deal between the U.S., Mexico and Canada still has not been reached and tensions continue to escalate between the U.S. and China.

“Many of our corn farmers have stood with Trump for a long time, but that may soon change” said Dan Nerud, president of the Nebraska Corn Growers Association and farmer from Dorchester. “Trump needs to uphold the law and his commitment to our nation’s corn farmers by making the RFS whole and bringing trade agreements to the finish line.”

Nebraska Corn urges you to stand up for our state’s corn and ethanol industries by telling the Trump administration to stop stripping the RFS. Rural America is under attack and now is the time to act. Submit a letter to President Trump by clicking here. Submit comments before the August 30 deadline.

Puffdad
Moderator
Posts: 3646
Joined: May 28th, 2015, 7:51 pm
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by Puffdad » August 31st, 2019, 11:05 am

How much do you want to bet that Trump wins heavily amongst the Nebraska corn farmers? How many of them are OK with the Trump payments that just got deposited into their bank accounts while Trump is straightening the mess out that we’ve gotten into over the last 30 years?

xtrawildcat
Posts: 3828
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by xtrawildcat » August 31st, 2019, 11:45 am

Puffdad wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 11:05 am
How much do you want to bet that Trump wins heavily amongst the Nebraska corn farmers? How many of them are OK with the Trump payments that just got deposited into their bank accounts while Trump is straightening the mess out that we’ve gotten into over the last 30 years?
The Trump soybean payments? Unfortunately, the soybeans that would have been sold are still sitting in storage and depressing the price. Meanwhile, brazil has accelerated their conversion of rain forest to soybean fields.

Puffdad
Moderator
Posts: 3646
Joined: May 28th, 2015, 7:51 pm
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by Puffdad » August 31st, 2019, 1:28 pm

It’s not just a soybean payment. It’s a payment on every crop acre. Other countries can replace China if they don’t want our commodities. And they will soon figure it out and be back in the market and it will be a lot better market than we’ve had long before Trump. In case you hadn’t noticed the commodity market hasn’t been decent for many years.

User avatar
MajorAppleCat
Posts: 1638
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 6:09 am
Location: Kansas Territory
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by MajorAppleCat » August 31st, 2019, 1:55 pm

Puffdad wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 1:28 pm
It’s not just a soybean payment. It’s a payment on every crop acre. Other countries can replace China if they don’t want our commodities. And they will soon figure it out and be back in the market and it will be a lot better market than we’ve had long before Trump. In case you hadn’t noticed the commodity market hasn’t been decent for many years.
Farmers should learn like everyone else not to rely upon the government...
"Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude." Alexis de Tocqueville

SCKSCat
Posts: 648
Joined: November 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by SCKSCat » August 31st, 2019, 2:38 pm

The alternative. .... New Green deal.
AOC.
Elimination of diesel tractors. Have to use small battery powered ones.
Banning of cows and pigs who eat corn and soybeans.
Only crap can be used for fertilizer. You will have to hire thousands of illegals to weed and kill bugs by hand.

User avatar
WIldWIllieCat
Posts: 15099
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:30 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 182 times

Post by WIldWIllieCat » August 31st, 2019, 2:48 pm

That's alright, farmers are getting exactly the government they deserve.
I know words. I have the best words.

Puffdad
Moderator
Posts: 3646
Joined: May 28th, 2015, 7:51 pm
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by Puffdad » August 31st, 2019, 3:31 pm

MajorAppleCat wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 1:55 pm
Puffdad wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 1:28 pm
It’s not just a soybean payment. It’s a payment on every crop acre. Other countries can replace China if they don’t want our commodities. And they will soon figure it out and be back in the market and it will be a lot better market than we’ve had long before Trump. In case you hadn’t noticed the commodity market hasn’t been decent for many years.

Farmers should learn like everyone else not to rely upon the government...
Nice thought and I agree... but it’s the government in the 70’s that got this whole mess started. But please explain how “everyone else has learned not to rely on the government.” ????

ToledoCat#2
Posts: 2999
Joined: December 2nd, 2017, 9:53 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 136 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » September 1st, 2019, 9:55 am

Folks, the entire debacle that is U.S. agriculture today traces back to the government insisting on a "cheap food policy." There is no such thing. All food costs are covered one way or another.

With U.S. ag today, the supermarket prices are relatively cheap, but the populace pays the rest of the country's food bill in taxes, subsidy payments, etc. I call them the "hidden costs of cheap" food and the list is too long for this thread.

Lax or no proper regulation of commodity markets play a big role, too.

So, critics of ag, just shut your mouths and pay your taxes, and enjoy your government delivered "cheap food."

User avatar
WIldWIllieCat
Posts: 15099
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:30 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 182 times

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 1st, 2019, 9:59 am

grievance

could you point to the "critics of ag" ? :roll:
I know words. I have the best words.

Post Reply