Was wondering

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Was wondering

Post by RichardZ » September 17th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Hundreds of thousands of people have gone to football stadiums, races and all kind of sporting event all over the country.

Has anyone seen any reports that these events have had an impact on the rise of Covid cases?
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 17th, 2021, 6:25 pm

this is a classic example of people no longer trust a damn thing that biden, fauci, or the government generally say about covid. they have been wrong so many times or outright lied to the people for so long that they no longer listen.
"A tour of revenge." Noah Johnson

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » September 17th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Afraid you are right. Today the CDC board voted 17-2 to not approve a booster shot for teens due to lack of testing.

Hell six months from now we might find out our asses fall off if we got the jab.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » September 18th, 2021, 7:58 am

RichardZ wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 8:53 pm
Afraid you are right. Today the CDC board voted 17-2 to not approve a booster shot for teens due to lack of testing.

Hell six months from now we might find out our asses fall off if we got the jab.

Small point. They did not approve boosters for those under 65 because the data shows the initial vaccination is still quite effective in that group. But this will still have to be approved by the FDA. IMO, they are making a mistake by not opening it up to younger people but not worth arguing about.

An expert panel recommended that the FDA authorize booster shots for older and vulnerable adults.
The doctors and health experts who advise the FDA say data suggests younger people are still well protected.
The panel voted down a proposal to make boosters available to everyone 16 and older.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » September 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm

..and the reason the vote was so overwhelming was...Not enough study. Which has me concerned.

Team Biden bought and promoted shots for all before the FDA announcement.

Science? Politics?

Hopefully, I am just gun shy as anything this administration has its mitts on turns to sh!t.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » September 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm

RichardZ wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 8:53 pm

one might think the experts evaluated the 'science' (DATA!) and acted accordingly?

that, or there were 17 old white racists on that voting block...
... the opposite of educated is not ignorant; it's indoctrinated...

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 19th, 2021, 8:41 am

they're "experts" now

fascinating
"Hate obscures all distinctions.”― C.S. Lewis.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » September 19th, 2021, 3:12 pm

I think the FDA is moving too slow on boosters but it has also only been five months since younger people first started being fullly vaccinated. So maybe they are following the right steps.
For example, I got my second shot on March 26 and would not have be conidered fully vaccinated until two weeks later. IE middle of April. At that time, the US was still a few week away from offering boosters to those under 65. So not too many younger people were fully vaccinated prior to May Thats only been about 5 months.

And everybody forgets that Biden's annoucement on booster included being contingent on FDA approval.
Bidens booster plan annoucement:
President Joe Biden announced last month that the government would begin offering third shots next week to people eight months after they got their second jab of the Pfizer-BioNTech inoculations, contingent on FDA approval and a recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Pr:evention.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » September 19th, 2021, 3:24 pm

RichardZ wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm
..and the reason the vote was so overwhelming was...Not enough study. Which has me concerned.

Team Biden bought and promoted shots for all before the FDA announcement.

Science? Politics?

Hopefully, I am just gun shy as anything this administration has its mitts on turns to sh!t.
You don't have your facts straight. Biden made a policy decision to go forward with a plan to distribute the booster vaccinations IF
the FDA approved. The PDA panel did not give a complete approval. It is possible, but not likely, that the FDA will not follow the advice of the panel. As already documented by xtrawildcat, the FDA panel did not approve Pfizer boosters (no recommendations yet on Moderna or Johnson and Johnson vaccines) for those under 65. They did approve the use of a Pfizer booster for those 65 and over or with adults with vulnerable health conditions.

I am over 65 and had the Moderna vaccine. Whenever a booster is approved, I will get it as soon as I am eligible.

This situation shows that the Biden administration is following the science. The did put out the policy first, but they will make adjustments to the policy once the panel and the FDA makes the decision based on the science. If this would have been the Trump administration, they would have either ignored the science or else put pressure on the FDA to "bend" the science so they could follow whatever policy decisions they wanted to make.

By the way, here is an excellent and up-to-date analysis of the difference between the three vaccines:

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid ... 3kYF8emZeI

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » September 19th, 2021, 3:41 pm

RichardZ wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 5:16 pm
Hundreds of thousands of people have gone to football stadiums, races and all kind of sporting event all over the country.

Has anyone seen any reports that these events have had an impact on the rise of Covid cases?
I think you have asked a really great question. I tried to do some research to find an answer and could only find reports for smaller outbreaks tied to a crowded outdoor concerts in Oregon and one in Michigan.

So it seems to me that the CDC owes all of us some information on your question asap. Good or bad result, seems like something that should start showing data in the very near future.

Also, seems like there should be some data to indicate what impact colder drier weather has on spread as we go head into fall and winter and people are going to continue to attend crowded outdoor sporting events.

I don't expect people to stop going to games but seems like the public needs some best possible information to influence their decisions. IE, maybe when it gets colder, some people might elect to wear a mask at a crowded football game.