Texas

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0

Texas

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 15th, 2021, 9:33 pm

See y'all are rockin' the whole "Hey guys, we would appreciate it if you didn't use any electricity," approach again.

Can't help but wonder if Cancun Ted will flip to Alaskan Cruz.

:popcorn:
These users thanked the author WIldWIllieCat for the post:
purpleprairiecat
"Hate obscures all distinctions.”― C.S. Lewis.

katlander

Post by katlander » June 16th, 2021, 12:08 am

I think Texas has had about enough. They are going to enforce their own border through a combination of loopholes that permit them to bypass the Feds in fencing out insurgents and arresting them for destruction of property if the damage the fence, all this while continuing Trump's work in building their own wall. They have dealt with border issue throughout their history, they have been their own country and they still have the Texas Rangers. Don't mess with Texas. God Blessed Texas!

ChemicalKat

Post by ChemicalKat » June 16th, 2021, 4:23 am

katlander wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 12:08 am
I think Texas has had about enough. They are going to enforce their own border through a combination of loopholes that permit them to bypass the Feds in fencing out insurgents and arresting them for destruction of property if the damage the fence, all this while continuing Trump's work in building their own wall. They have dealt with border issue throughout their history, they have been their own country and they still have the Texas Rangers. Don't mess with Texas. God Blessed Texas!
What does this have to do with a failing power system?

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » June 16th, 2021, 6:33 am

ChemicalKat wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 4:23 am
katlander wrote:
The answer is nothing. This is just another thread hijack by a conservative trying to divert attention away from a topic that is very detrimental to their cause.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 16th, 2021, 6:46 am

ChemicalKat wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 4:23 am
katlander wrote:
katlander wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 12:23 am
He is struggling quite a bit. Maybe he will be able to make it through 4 years but he is not far from just sitting and staring off into space.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 16th, 2021, 6:55 am

ERCOT said Monday that energy generator owners have reported about 11,000 MegaWatts of generation are on forced outage for repairs, including about 8,000 MW of thermal energy. That's significantly higher than on a typical hot summer day, when the range of thermal generation outages is about 3,600 MW, the organization said.

"We will be conducting a thorough analysis with generation owners to determine why so many units are out of service," said ERCOT Vice President of Grid Planning and Operations Woody Rickerson. "This is unusual for this early in the summer season."

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 16th, 2021, 7:10 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 6:55 am
ERCOT said Monday that energy generator owners have reported about 11,000 MegaWatts of generation are on forced outage for repairs, including about 8,000 MW of thermal energy. That's significantly higher than on a typical hot summer day, when the range of thermal generation outages is about 3,600 MW, the organization said.

"We will be conducting a thorough analysis with generation owners to determine why so many units are out of service," said ERCOT Vice President of Grid Planning and Operations Woody Rickerson. "This is unusual for this early in the summer season."
From the Texas Tribune:
Of the plants offline, about 9,600 megawatts of power, or nearly 80% of the outages, are from thermal power sources, which in Texas are largely natural-gas-fired power plants. That’s several times what ERCOT usually sees offline for thermal generation maintenance during a summer day. Typically, only about 3,600 megawatts of thermal generation are offline this time of year.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 16th, 2021, 7:20 am

Some of my thoughts:
When I was a kid we did not have air conditioning. I remember a day where the actual temp reached 112 degrees at our farm in northeast Ks. Made shade trees for your house a lot more important. My grandparents cooked on a wood stove. They had a separate building they used as a kitchen during the summer to keep heat out of the main house.

Now I can't imagine how many people in Texas or other midwestern and southern states would die if a power outage lasted for more than a few days.

And if we want to end the obesity crisis in the US, get rid of air conditioning.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 16th, 2021, 7:22 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 7:10 am
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 6:55 am

From the Texas Tribune:
Of the plants offline, about 9,600 megawatts of power, or nearly 80% of the outages, are from thermal power sources, which in Texas are largely natural-gas-fired power plants. That’s several times what ERCOT usually sees offline for thermal generation maintenance during a summer day. Typically, only about 3,600 megawatts of thermal generation are offline this time of year.
Those damned frozen windmills!

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » June 16th, 2021, 10:08 am

The title of the thread is...TEXAS. So, I would think all things Texas are on the table.

Someone pointed out that Calfornia's water problem is in part due to state population growth. I think
the same could be pointed out to the population growth of Texas.

People are arriving in droves. Why some of them are actually citizens of the U.S of A.

In my little town of 3500 (25 miles north of Dallas and Ft. Worth) land prices have sky rocketed from $10,000 an acre when we
first moved here to between $150,000 to $200,000 an acre depending on size of the property, trees etc.

Some places must be losing large amounts of people.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke