Texas

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
katlander

Re: Texas

Post by katlander » June 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 3:39 pm
katlander wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 11:23 pm
This is what I was getting at with my earlier post. Texas has had about enough of left wing BS. They are taking action. I'm sure they are about ready to tell the greenies to take a hike. And even though the windmills may be thawed the friggin wind still has to blow. Its W-I-N-D mill. When there is no wind the only thing that blows in Texas is ERCOT.
From the Texas Tribune:
Of the plants offline, about 9,600 megawatts of power, or nearly 80% of the outages, are from thermal power sources, which in Texas are largely natural-gas-fired power plants. That’s several times what ERCOT usually sees offline for thermal generation maintenance during a summer day. Typically, only about 3,600 megawatts of thermal generation are offline this time of year.
Actually reading the entire thread yields far greater comprehension.
I don't have time to read about the way liberals are screwing up Texas. I also know you will work day and night to uncover real or false data to defend liberalism. Thank you for providing the info. :mrgreen: Instead of going ape over green energy it sounds like the ERCOT libs should have been building more transmission lines. I'll await your further research.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 22nd, 2021, 6:26 pm

RichardZ wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 10:08 am
Someone pointed out that Calfornia's water problem is in part due to state population growth.
Agriculture accounts for 80% of water usage in California.
"Hate obscures all distinctions.”― C.S. Lewis.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » June 22nd, 2021, 7:30 pm

It is the almonds.

Almonds alone use about 10 percent of California’s total water supply each year. That’s nuts. But almonds are also the state’s most lucrative exported agricultural product, with California producing 80 percent of the world’s supply. Alfalfa hay requires even more water, about 15 percent of the state’s supply. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Yep, that’s right: In the middle of a drought, farmers are shipping fresh hay across the Pacific Ocean. The water that’s locked up in exported hay amounts to about 100 billion gallons per year—enough to supply 1 million families with drinking water for a year.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... rming.html
Win the dang day!

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 22nd, 2021, 9:44 pm

Zoltar wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 7:30 pm
It is the almonds.

Almonds alone use about 10 percent of California’s total water supply each year. That’s nuts. But almonds are also the state’s most lucrative exported agricultural product, with California producing 80 percent of the world’s supply. Alfalfa hay requires even more water, about 15 percent of the state’s supply. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Yep, that’s right: In the middle of a drought, farmers are shipping fresh hay across the Pacific Ocean. The water that’s locked up in exported hay amounts to about 100 billion gallons per year—enough to supply 1 million families with drinking water for a year.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... rming.html

There is some very questionable math in that article. IE A pound of beef takes 5,000 gallons of water to produce. That would mean 3,250,000 gallons for a single steer if it produced a 650 lb carcass weight.

And exporting farm products is what farmers do. IE exporting hay to California. That entire process produces a lot of jobs and income for California. And lots of alfalfa hay is also shipped into California from Idaho, Nevada and Utah for use on their dairy farms.

And most of the animal production in California is dairy. I don't see milk consumption by 39 people in California as a bad thing.

If the drought continues, lots of adjustments will have to be made in California and lack of water will kill some of the agricultural production. Farmers and city dwellers alike will have to make adjustments. Maybe some people from California will need to move back to Oklahoma.

katlander

Post by katlander » June 22nd, 2021, 10:48 pm

How many gallons of water is needed to produce 10 BTUs of bovine methane. Now there is a question that is really important.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » June 23rd, 2021, 7:43 am

WWC..I would never had guessed that about ag.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 23rd, 2021, 7:57 am

RichardZ wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 7:43 am
I wouldn't have either; it just doesn't jive with common perceptions of California at all. Of course, dense population centers present their own unique problems in terms of water supply, but the bulk of the water isn't going where most think it is. It's relevant to also consider that while ag is a vital industry in California, it's not even top ten in terms of state GDP.
"Hate obscures all distinctions.”― C.S. Lewis.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 23rd, 2021, 9:14 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 7:57 am
RichardZ wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 7:43 am
I wouldn't have either; it just doesn't jive with common perceptions of California at all. Of course, dense population centers present their own unique problems in terms of water supply, but the bulk of the water isn't going where most think it is. It's relevant to also consider that while ag is a vital industry in California, it's not even top ten in terms of state GDP.
California ag will have to make adjustments if the drought continues. But so will the rest of us. Maybe the rest of the country will have to start growing the California lettuce, melons, tomatoes, avocodoes, grapes, etc etc that we currently consume.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » June 23rd, 2021, 8:32 pm

Damn vegetarians are going to destroy this country.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » June 23rd, 2021, 8:39 pm

Low water levels will affect hydroelectric generation too. Hot, no water to drink and no ac due to no electricity. May be a long summer for California.