free speech

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
katlander
Posts: 6418
Joined: June 3rd, 2015, 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: free speech

Post by katlander » January 14th, 2021, 11:10 am

Looking back, taking prayer out of schools was part of the liberal plan to derail us. I was on board at the time but was unaware of the effort to high jack education. Praying together in school was a unifying and patriotic action which brought us together. It allowed our youth to understand our heritage and foundations, and it informed immigrants as to where we stood. They were free to worship as they wished but we are a Christian nation. The message was basically "We are Christians but you are welcome here".

NealyFan
Posts: 4481
Joined: September 26th, 2017, 9:18 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Post by NealyFan » January 14th, 2021, 12:06 pm

Hate to burst your bubble: Enforcing the Constitution isn't a plan to derail anything. Teachers aren't allowed to use religion as a tool. Kids can whisper to sky daddy all they want and even have sky daddy clubs after school; it just can't be mandated by the government.

Like I wrote above: if a Muslim teacher (they exist outside of Redneckistan) had little Christian kids pray to their sky daddy, the right-wingers would understand the point I am making.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

tmcats
Posts: 10770
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 14th, 2021, 12:11 pm

for 175 years - 1787 to 1962 - prayer in schools was constitutional. then it wasn't.
"Live together as brothers, or perish together as fools." MLK

NealyFan
Posts: 4481
Joined: September 26th, 2017, 9:18 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Post by NealyFan » January 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 12:11 pm
for 175 years - 1787 to 1962 - prayer in schools was constitutional. then it wasn't.
So was slavery, women not being able to vote or own land, forced castration, poll taxes/literacy tests, criminal laws against being homosexual, and then they weren't. (Often referred to by right-wingers as the good old days.) Funny.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

tmcats
Posts: 10770
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 14th, 2021, 12:19 pm

some things are similar, some things are not.
"Live together as brothers, or perish together as fools." MLK

User avatar
WIldWIllieCat
Posts: 21235
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:30 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 137 times

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 14th, 2021, 1:13 pm

katlander wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 11:01 am
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 10:48 pm
This thread.....*WOOF*
What don't you like Willie.
the rank ignorance and grievance....it's almost overwhelming
"We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.”

User avatar
WIldWIllieCat
Posts: 21235
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:30 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 137 times

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 14th, 2021, 1:14 pm

NealyFan wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm
tmcats wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 12:11 pm
for 175 years - 1787 to 1962 - prayer in schools was constitutional. then it wasn't.
So was slavery, women not being able to vote or own land, forced castration, poll taxes/literacy tests, criminal laws against being homosexual, and then they weren't. (Often referred to by right-wingers as the good old days.) Funny.
must've been when America was "Great"
"We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.”

xtrawildcat
Posts: 7040
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Post by xtrawildcat » January 14th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Maybe we should just let the schools take over Christian education. Then they could standardize it and we wouldn't have all the differences espoused by Mormons, Catholics, Southern Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, Evangelicals. And what about Scientology.

Maybe if we ban all the churches in the country the feds could get this religion training on the right track.

katlander
Posts: 6418
Joined: June 3rd, 2015, 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Post by katlander » January 14th, 2021, 2:36 pm

NealyFan wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 12:06 pm
Hate to burst your bubble: Enforcing the Constitution isn't a plan to derail anything. Teachers aren't allowed to use religion as a tool. Kids can whisper to sky daddy all they want and even have sky daddy clubs after school; it just can't be mandated by the government.

Like I wrote above: if a Muslim teacher (they exist outside of Redneckistan) had little Christian kids pray to their sky daddy, the right-wingers would understand the point I am making.
Reinterpreting the constitution in leftist terms was not what the framers had in mind. I would not expect a Muslim country to allow me to teach Christianity in their schools and they should be okay if we reciprocate. You guys are using our constitution against us. It really needs to stop. Too bad it ever started. The ACLU fought this battle but now are finding they have helped to create a monster.

NealyFan
Posts: 4481
Joined: September 26th, 2017, 9:18 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Post by NealyFan » January 14th, 2021, 2:43 pm

We are not a “Christian” country for the purposes of government sanction religious practice. And I am grateful that we are not like Muslim theocracies.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

Post Reply