Nerds!

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
Zoltar

Re: Nerds!

Post by Zoltar » September 16th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I know several of you will not believe it even if you see it, but here is the tape with Trump saying the exact quote that I mentioned. All I did was post the quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpdt7omPoa0
Win the dang day!

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » September 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Some of my best friends in life are poorly educated and all are getting through life's travails in fine fashion.

Some of my best friends in life are highly educated and all are getting through life's travails in fine fashion.

I judge people, and become friends, by the content of their character and their beliefs and actions. Education has nothing to do with likeability.

I'd prefer someone with an 8th grade education and a love of country to most of the elitist, pseudo-intellectuals who frequent these political boards and who want to turn our nation into something unrecognizable to our Founding Fathers.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » September 16th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Zoltar wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:16 pm
I know several of you will not believe it even if you see it, but here is the tape with Trump saying the exact quote that I mentioned. All I did was post the quote.

I don't dispute that he said that. I do dispute your reason for posting it.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » September 16th, 2020, 5:24 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm
Some of my best friends in life are poorly educated and all are getting through life's travails in fine fashion.

Some of my best friends in life are highly educated and all are getting through life's travails in fine fashion.

I judge people, and become friends, by the content of their character and their beliefs and actions. Education has nothing to do with likeability.

I'd prefer someone with an 8th grade education and a love of country to most of the elitist, pseudo-intellectuals who frequent these political boards and who want to turn our nation into something unrecognizable to our Founding Fathers.
Amen!

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 16th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Love the part, "We're the smartest people!"

Nope, no elitism there from the silver-spoon, east coast, trust-fund baby.
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » September 16th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Zoltar wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:10 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:08 pm

If that is what you got out of the OP's post, then you did not read it very carefully. Did you read the linked article?
I certainly did. Did you read the title of the thread? It may have slipped by you.
Apparently, the title is all you read. The rest may have slipped by you.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 16th, 2020, 5:26 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
"poorly" isn't the adjective you're looking for

"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » September 16th, 2020, 5:29 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:23 pm
Zoltar wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I don't dispute that he said that. I do dispute your reason for posting it.
The OP called scientists nerds. Trump's quote was simply a follow up to that.
Win the dang day!

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » September 16th, 2020, 5:48 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:

I always like it when someone refers to the 'founding fathers' like they were holy. These guys wore powdered wigs. May have bathed one time a month at the most. Went outside to a wooden building built over a hole in the ground to relieve themselves. They had to pump water to drink and had an oil lamp for light. Many owned other people and forced them into working for them.

People just assume that they were all knowing. Do you honestly think they could foresee everyone with a cell phone? Flying in planes after driving on the interstate to the airport? Surely they could invision heart transplants let alone indoor plumbing.

They may have been very wise men and we are indebted to them for their leadership and courage. But we need to remember that things change and we need to adapt with the changes.

Don't tell me you think Franklin invisioned Neil Armstrong walking on the moon or Lance Armstrong cheating to win 7 tours. They were great men but they were not Nostradamus.

A great place to start and a framework that must adjust with time and technology. I do not believe someone using their 1st admendment rights would be the first thing they would see if they were here today. I think soap and a hot shower may have their attention much more quickly.
Win the dang day!

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » September 16th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Wow, so now we have somebody who thinks they know how much all the founding fathers bathed! So glad I tuned in tonight! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: