I saw a silver fox

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

I saw a silver fox

Post by kinsleycat » August 18th, 2019, 8:11 am

Yesterday. As i turned a corner he came out of some trees by an old farmstead and ran right in front of the pickup for 50 yards or so before veering back into the trees.
It was about a 2/3 grown kit and was nearly black with some lighter colors mixed in. I think this is only the 3rd one I've ever seen and the best look I've ever had of one. The last time I saw one was probably 25 years ago. I'm hoping he sticks around till he gets his winter coat, I bet he'll be gorgeous.

A silver fox is really a red fox that carries a recessive gene sort of like the opposite of albino variations. It's pretty rare and I feel privileged to have seen it.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » September 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I would have been, too. Never seen a silver fox.

I did kill a small rattle snake last week. Only about 3 feet away and me in my Bermuda shorts. He's compost now.

danvet82

Pick 'Em

Post by danvet82 » September 13th, 2019, 7:39 am

There's one at the football stadium on a lot of Saturdays in the fall.

Ksuminnesotacat

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » October 15th, 2019, 7:26 pm

That’s cool! I’m a trapper coyotes- bobcats adults are going to sale but fox, reds and or silver get let go never caught a silver the coyotes way lay the fox cool little critters And very adaptive that’s why they are thick in urban areas they are there to avoid the coyotes.