How Does Your Garden Grow?

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 14th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Odd year in Oklahoma. The wild blackberries and sand plums are sparse. My tomatoes are growing like weeds and ripening early.

Mauser

Post by Mauser » June 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Deer are starting to have there fawns here. I found one in our woods last night. Remember not to touch or move them if you find one.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » June 14th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Had our first creamed new potatoes and freshly-shelled peas. Yum!

I think the record cool April, followed by a record warm May had a lot to do with gardening/pollinating problems this years.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 15th, 2018, 9:15 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:Had our first creamed new potatoes and freshly-shelled peas. Yum!

I think the record cool April, followed by a record warm May had a lot to do with gardening/pollinating problems this years.
There's nothing like homegrown veggies. Wednesday evening, I pulled up my first potatoes. I say "pulled up" because they were being grown in a container (I also have potatoes planted in my raised bed and my in-ground garden). I got about some Yukon Gold potatoes that were a little bit smaller than chicken eggs. I cut them up and made fried potatoes and had them with eggs and toast. Delicious!

I agree about the weird weather. My cool season garden (except for my potatoes and onions) was pretty much a bust. Things barely grew in March and April. We had a week or two of moderate temperatures and then it got hot, which caused my spinach, lettuce, arugula, etc., to bolt. I ended up pulling out my cabbages, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and kohlrabi as well. Oh well. I will try again in the fall.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 7th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Finally got a little break from the heat today. How have your gardens been holding up during the recent heat wave? Mine has held up pretty well. One thing that I think helps is that I put a lot of leaf mulch (from last year's fall leaves) around my plants to help keep the soil around the roots cooler and also minimize evaporation. I don't have as much room as I would like to grow so I grow things pretty close together. Doing so, helps provide more shade for the plants' roots.

I'm still digging potatoes (almost gone) and my big tomatoes are still ripening. My Sun Gold cherry tomatoes have been coming on nicely. I'm getting peppers, too, but they are still green.

kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinsleycat » July 7th, 2018, 7:50 pm

It's hard to beat new potatoes. So good.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » July 7th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Tomatoes are large in number and ripening nicely, but the fruit is fairly small. Jalapeños are producing prodigiously.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 7th, 2018, 9:08 pm

kinsleycat wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 7:50 pm
It's hard to beat new potatoes. So good.
I totally agree. Potatoes are one of my favorite vegetable to grow. I have been slicing them for fried potatoes and using others for homemade mashed potatoes. Yum!

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 7th, 2018, 9:13 pm

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 8:15 pm
Tomatoes are large in number and ripening nicely, but the fruit is fairly small. Jalapeños are producing prodigiously.
Jalapenos always seem to produce well for me, too. I put in only one jalapeno plant this year, but unfortunately the plant got "snipped" at the base by a rabbit or squirrel.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » July 8th, 2018, 8:14 am

stlcatfan wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 9:13 pm
PurpleOnWhite wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 8:15 pm
Jalapenos always seem to produce well for me, too. I put in only one jalapeno plant this year, but unfortunately the plant got "snipped" at the base by a rabbit or squirrel.
Sounds like a cut worm.