How Does Your Garden Grow?

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Post by RichardZ » April 21st, 2019, 8:25 pm

I'll looks for those tomato plants. Don't know how much luck I will have.

A lot of my P.J's that I had last year are starting to pop out. I guess the roots survived the winter. Some of them had over three feet of leaves. Looks nice in hanging pots and the large pots we have in front of our porch.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 22nd, 2019, 12:36 am

RichardZ wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 8:25 pm
I'll looks for those tomato plants. Don't know how much luck I will have.

A lot of my P.J's that I had last year are starting to pop out. I guess the roots survived the winter. Some of them had over three feet of leaves. Looks nice in hanging pots and the large pots we have in front of our porch.
A couple other varieties I thought of that might produce in your area are Celebrity and Homestead. You may want to check with the locals about those varieties. I also found an article about growing tomatoes in North Texas. I hope it helps. Good luck!

https://www.star-telegram.com/living/ho ... 92448.html
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » April 23rd, 2019, 10:05 am

Neil Sperry has been around a long, long time and knows his stuff.

HIs #1 rule is: Do not plant anything in North Texas that is not native."

I have paid the price for not heading his advice. Especially, when I tried to plant Japanese Maples which are one of my favorites.
Last edited by RichardZ on April 23rd, 2019, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » April 23rd, 2019, 2:37 pm

I thought PJ you were talking about wasa tomato varitey. It it's spiderwort, the flowering plant, it grows prolifically in the wet spots in the ditches in the Flint Hills. Blooms around Mother's Day. It's one of my favorite spring wildflowers -- and also for my dear departed Mom.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2019, 6:20 pm

RichardZ wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:05 am
Neil Sperry has been around a long, long time and knows his stuff.

HIs #1 rule is: Do not plant anything in North Texas that is not native."

I have paid the price for not heading his advice. Especially, when I tried to plant Japanese Maples which are one of my favorites.
There is definitely something to be said about growing natives. Not only are they adapted to the local climate, they also are important in helping to maintain local ecosystems. I have a Japanese Maple in my front yard, but most of my other stuff is native to the area.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 25th, 2019, 11:59 am

How are everyone's gardens doing? I know for us Midwesterners, it has been pretty tough with the wet, stormy weather we have had this spring.

I've got most of my stuff in, although I am a little behind in getting everything in the ground. I should get the rest of it planted over the next few days. Most of my cool season plants have been harvested, with the exception of my cabbages, but they are getting close. Of course, the potatoes will take another month or more before I can start harvesting them.

Have a good Memorial Day Weekend!

ToledoCat#2
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » May 26th, 2019, 9:41 am

Wet, soggy, weedy. Pretty well sums it up.

That said, tomato plants are surviving and caged. Need sunlight.

Spuds still surviving and growing a little.

Raised beds of peppers, squash, pole beans, onions, and various greens are draining OK and need weeding badly.

Food plots for chix flock are thriving. Wheat all headed out and chix will soon be eating the wheat in the dough stage.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 4th, 2020, 10:19 am

With it being in the middle of growing season, I thought I would bump this thread back to the top.

How is everyone's garden looking this summer? Is there anyone growing a garden who maybe didn't grow one in previous years? I know with concerns about food shortages due to COVID-19, people have been encouraged to grow more of their own food.

My garden is doing pretty good. I started a bunch of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant from seed indoors earlier than I usually do and I am being rewarded with a lot of earlier harvests (no peppers yet). I am getting a lot of potatoes right now, too. I lost some cucumbers, squash and pumpkin plants due to a late frost, but replanted and they are doing well. All of my cool season stuff is done, but will probably start working on my fall garden later this month with indoor seed starting of cool season plants like broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Happy Independence Day!

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » July 6th, 2020, 10:47 am

Getting these veggies in modest amounts from my garden: green beans, peas, new potatoes, zukes, and still leaf lettuce and swiss chard. Radishes were wonderful (2 plantings), but done now. Tomatoes, pole beans, carrots and sweet potatoes looking great. Peppers just so-so, but getting a few grillers and jalapenos. Getting a few ripe cherry tomatoes. Poor stand of sweet corn, but what's left is tasseling.

On a related note: I had 3 setting hens (all hatched from the same brood 2 years ago) that went broody at the same time 3 weeks ago. I put then on eggs in brood pens the same evening. Today is "hatch' day. This a.m. I had 2 hens come out with total of 16 chicks. Third hen still staying in brood box, so don't know how she's did on hatching her eggs. I love watching a new hen and her chicks. Hen scratches and clucks, chicks come running to the spot, and scratch with their tiny legs and peck at something in the soil. Who knows what?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 6th, 2020, 5:01 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 10:47 am
Getting these veggies in modest amounts from my garden: green beans, peas, new potatoes, zukes, and still leaf lettuce and swiss chard. Radishes were wonderful (2 plantings), but done now. Tomatoes, pole beans, carrots and sweet potatoes looking great. Peppers just so-so, but getting a few grillers and jalapenos. Getting a few ripe cherry tomatoes. Poor stand of sweet corn, but what's left is tasseling.

On a related note: I had 3 setting hens (all hatched from the same brood 2 years ago) that went broody at the same time 3 weeks ago. I put then on eggs in brood pens the same evening. Today is "hatch' day. This a.m. I had 2 hens come out with total of 16 chicks. Third hen still staying in brood box, so don't know how she's did on hatching her eggs. I love watching a new hen and her chicks. Hen scratches and clucks, chicks come running to the spot, and scratch with their tiny legs and peck at something in the soil. Who knows what?
Sounds like you have a great garden! I would like to get a few chickens for the eggs, but living in the suburbs makes it a little difficult (although I believe in my municipality, chickens are allowed - just no roosters).