How Does Your Garden Grow?

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
Mauser

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Post by Mauser » October 10th, 2018, 5:07 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 9:29 am
My mix that I planted recently included: wheat, turnips, Austrian peas, hairy vetch, Vernal alfalfa, Dutch white clover and red clover. The Dutch white clover will persist year to year if you get enough rain for it to go to seed. Deer like the peas, turnips and wheat. The vetch is mostly a soil conditioner -- adds nitrogen and organic matter.
Both of those clovers are nitrogen fixers as well.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » October 10th, 2018, 9:09 am

True, all clovers are nitrogen fixers. As for how my garden grows? ... it's drenched after more than 7 inches of rain in the last 4 days. Sad sight of neighbor's probable record-breaking soybeans drowned in 18-inches of water.

Kansas can never hit a happy medium with rain .. either none or too much.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » October 15th, 2018, 10:03 am

My gardens quit growing. Well, they grew a quarter inch of snow last night. ;)

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » October 15th, 2018, 10:22 am

Snow?? Dear God!

Well, after months of drought in the Dallas area we now have about 21" of rain since September 1st.

Unbelievable.....
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 10th, 2019, 12:34 pm

With spring planting just a few weeks away, I thought I would go ahead and resurrect this thread.

Anyone doing any gardening at this time? I imagine those living in the south will be able to start their outdoor gardens anytime now.

In St. Louis, I shoot for early March (weather-permitting). I do have some plants growing indoors right now. In late January, I sowed broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts seeds. They sprouted and are doing well and should be ready to transplant outdoors by early March.

Growing indoors and perusing seed catalogs is keeping me going during this time of the year. I ordered several new tomato and pepper varieties for my summer garden. I'm ready to get outside.

Good luck with your 2019 gardens!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 11th, 2019, 9:39 am

My garden is either frozen solid or muddy. I'll want until a couple warm days in March before I plant my radishes and lettuce.

Right now, I'm fighting a bout of the damned shingles. Won't be doing any gardening if that doesn't straighten out.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 11th, 2019, 6:00 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:39 am
My garden is either frozen solid or muddy. I'll want until a couple warm days in March before I plant my radishes and lettuce.

Right now, I'm fighting a bout of the damned shingles. Won't be doing any gardening if that doesn't straighten out.
Yikes! Not good. I hope you get better soon.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 12th, 2019, 9:58 am

Shingles seldom kill you. They just make you want to be dead. ;)

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Happy Spring! I thought today would be a good time to resurrect this thread.

Anyone doing any spring planting as of yet? It has been cool and wet here as well as throughout the Midwest so that is probably delaying things for a lot of folks.

I am on spring break this week from teaching so I have gotten a lot accomplished the past few days. All of my brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts) were finally transplanted outdoors. I seeded a lot of other cool season stuff - spinach, lettuce, radishes, peas, carrots, potatoes, etc. I also bought a few strawberry plants (Ozark Beauties) that are supposed to do well in containers so that one will be more of an experiment for me.

It feels good to finally be getting all of this stuff planted and it feels good that winter is officially over! :D

Mauser

Post by Mauser » March 20th, 2019, 4:09 pm

I have my peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant seedlings growing in the basement. Not a ton to report. I’m ready to get my hands dirty.