Busy airport

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
stlcatfan

Busy airport

Post by stlcatfan » December 25th, 2023, 7:06 pm

The past few times I have driven by the Manhattan airport (during the past couple months), the parking lot has been packed with cars - hundreds of them. It was again today when I drove by it. My guess was that they are the football players' cars or maybe holiday travelers. But even when the team is in town and it is not during a holiday, the airport parking lot has still been full of cars lately. Is it Fort Riley soldiers?
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » December 25th, 2023, 10:18 pm

The combined population of Riley and Geary counties is 105,000.
Median age is 25ish.
Ft Riley has 16,000 active duty soldiers and 19,000 families.
Manhattan Airport connects to DWF and O'Hare in Chicago.
Seems like a good recipe of factors to have a nice regional Airport.
You don't have to drive to the hellhole KC airport
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » December 26th, 2023, 1:07 am

SCKSCat wrote:
December 25th, 2023, 10:18 pm
Median age is 25ish.
Manhattan, for its size, does have a nice airport. There used to be flights going from MHK to KCI. In fact, my first airplane ride was from Manhattan to KC on a prop-driven passenger plane. It was a birthday gift from my folks when I was 11 or 12 years old. We had relatives in KC and the rest of my family drove on to KC, while relatives picked me up at the KC airport. A pretty cool experience for a young kid!

Speaking of KCI, they recently built a new terminal. It's pretty state of the art.

https://www.visitkc.com/meetings/why-me ... l-now-open
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » December 26th, 2023, 9:10 am

stlcatfan wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 1:07 am
SCKSCat wrote:
Median age is 25ish.
Manhattan, for its size, does have a nice airport. There used to be flights going from MHK to KCI. In fact, my first airplane ride was from Manhattan to KC on a prop-driven passenger plane. It was a birthday gift from my folks when I was 11 or 12 years old. We had relatives in KC and the rest of my family drove on to KC, while relatives picked me up at the KC airport. A pretty cool experience for a young kid!

Speaking of KCI, they recently built a new terminal. It's pretty state of the art.

I forgot about the new terminal. I just don't like larger airports, especially when parking. Sometimes the walk/ride to the terminal seems to take the same amount of time as the actual flight. Unless there was a big discount, I would rather fly out of Wichita, Manhattan ot Salina. Maybe the new KCI terminal might make me change my mind. I do sometimes long for the days of flying before 9-11, and more choices of airlines.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » December 26th, 2023, 11:43 am

SCKSCat wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 9:10 am
stlcatfan wrote:

I forgot about the new terminal. I just don't like larger airports, especially when parking. Sometimes the walk/ride to the terminal seems to take the same amount of time as the actual flight. Unless there was a big discount, I would rather fly out of Wichita, Manhattan ot Salina. Maybe the new KCI terminal might make me change my mind. I do sometimes long for the days of flying before 9-11, and more choices of airlines.
I hear ya. As much as I enjoyed my first time on a plane (and later, my first time on a jet plane), I am not a fan of flying these days -- especially since 9-11. I would just rather drive, if I can.
randallcat85

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » December 27th, 2023, 3:38 pm

Wife, daughter and I have booked a plane to Knoxville next May for a family wedding.

It cost us about $100 more per tic to fly out of MHK, rather than KCI. The $$$ worked out about the same. The flight we booked we won't have to drive 250 miles round trip to KCI, won't have KCI long-term parking fee, and we go direct from DFW to Knoxville, so don't have to rent a car.

Way more convenient boarding for ancient folks, like us.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 7th, 2024, 7:00 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
SCKSCat wrote:
Median age is 25ish.

New KC Terminal is very nice. However, I'll never get used to the "Ally McBeal" style unisex bathrooms. Sorry I just can't get used to using the john next to some chick.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 7th, 2024, 8:08 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 7:00 pm
stlcatfan wrote:

New KC Terminal is very nice. However, I'll never get used to the "Ally McBeal" style unisex bathrooms. Sorry I just can't get used to using the john next to some chick.
Men and women use the same restroom at the same time? Interesting. I thought that only happened with trans folks who "identified" as the opposite gender. If I had a daughter under the age of 18, I don't think I would be comfortable letting her go in there alone.

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 7th, 2024, 8:54 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 8:08 pm
KSUbetcha wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 7:00 pm

Men and women use the same restroom at the same time? Interesting. I thought that only happened with trans folks who "identified" as the opposite gender. If I had a daughter under the age of 18, I don't think I would be comfortable letting her go in there alone.
Not sure if it's all the bathrooms. But one of the terminals just has co-ed restrooms with individual stalls in them, no urinals. There's a separate hand washing area that's co-use as well. Not sure what the KC Metro Police will do if there's a string of sexual assaults or even worse there. The city and airport authority could be subject to a huge class action lawsuit.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan