As a kid, what were your favorite things about summer.

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
SCKSCat

As a kid, what were your favorite things about summer.

Post by SCKSCat » June 13th, 2021, 11:09 pm

My faternal grandparents lived on the farm where we did. Our cousins were always coming to see Grandma and to play with us. We all came from big families. Playing around the farm and getting hog dirty is found memory. Tag, pomp pon pull away, piggy wants a motion, tackle baseball. Eating watermelon and cantaloupe and corn, and homemade ice cream that gave you brain pain from the cold. Catching fireflies was great. Getting the job as egg grabber or waterboy. The worst things were chiggers, getting ditched, manure fights, and wearing dude clothes you had to keep clean all morning cause mom took us somewhere yucky.

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » June 14th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Freedom.

My folks were fairly hands-off and in the summer I played some video games, playing games with friends in the mornings before it got too hot (i'm a red-head). I saw Batman and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in the same summer. Watching Arsenio Hall late at night.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » June 14th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Fresh corn on the cob and homemade ice cream, riding horses with neighbor kids, swimming in clean limestone river, corn cob fights in the hog pen.

What I hated about summer: Chiggers. Taking mandatory afternoon nap to "stave off" polio.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » June 14th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Street ball. Little League. BB guns. Stoop ball. Riding our bikes hundreds of miles during the summer. Going to the lake
Flounder and fluke fishing in the Great South Bay. Clamming.

Downers: staying indoors to prevent getting polio. Having to wait an hour after lunch to go back in the water. Otherwise you would die immediately. No running in the sprinklers
Polio again. Being home when street lights went on.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke