Kissing and hugging chickens is dangerous.... and farm dogs

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
SCKSCat

Kissing and hugging chickens is dangerous.... and farm dogs

Post by SCKSCat » May 21st, 2021, 1:20 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dont- ... ar-AAKduvq
I used to hug my pet rooster. Poor kids are being deprived a great life thrill now days. They can get salmonella from the chicken. Would you let your kid hug a chicken?
Last edited by SCKSCat on May 25th, 2021, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
Section 12-2

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 21st, 2021, 7:17 pm

My wife suggested wearing a mask might help.
The person of course

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » May 22nd, 2021, 2:56 pm

I'd let kids do about anything with chickens and not fear a health issue. Now, a big rooster can rough up a toddler, but I've found that those roosters make tasty chicken and noodles.

Gathering eggs is a joy for children -- and for old geezers like me. ;)

More apt to get salmonella from supermarket veggies than backyard chickens.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » May 24th, 2021, 8:58 pm

Must be lonely on the farm. Hide the sheep.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » May 25th, 2021, 10:00 am

Not as lonely as sitting along in a studio apt in a big city. ;)

Do you speak the voice of experience about sheep, Nealy? ;)

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 25th, 2021, 5:20 pm

I am surprised that such a notice has not been issued for country dogs, especially for farm dogs. Our farm dogs would eat nasty stuff. Nastier the better. One of our dogs would sit under a tree every day in the summer and snack on a dried cow pie. Dead varmit lunches were bad especially if full of crunchy maggots. My favorite dog loved sun dried possum carcasses; I suppose it was like jerky to him. Yet we let old Ralph and Smokey lick us and waller on us despite mom hollering not to let them do that. Moms just don't understand kid dog love. Aside from my pet rooster, I tolerated the rest of the chicken. I had no fun gathering eggs from the nests of deranged hens that were trying to set.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » June 10th, 2021, 9:26 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 7:17 pm
My wife suggested wearing a mask might help.
The person of course
of course. forcing a chicken to wear a mask would be cruelty to animals.

pet lizards, reptiles are all ALSO salmonella risks. but to normal, healthy people, a brief 'lower intestinal unsettlement and purge' is usually the only symptom. it's not a DEATH SENTENCE.

and neither is Covid.

but you'd never know it.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

WIldWIllieCat
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 10th, 2021, 9:37 am

except for when it is

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 13th, 2021, 7:27 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 5:20 pm
I am surprised that such a notice has not been issued for country dogs, especially for farm dogs. Our farm dogs would eat nasty stuff. Nastier the better. One of our dogs would sit under a tree every day in the summer and snack on a dried cow pie. Dead varmit lunches were bad especially if full of crunchy maggots. My favorite dog loved sun dried possum carcasses; I suppose it was like jerky to him. Yet we let old Ralph and Smokey lick us and waller on us despite mom hollering not to let them do that. Moms just don't understand kid dog love. Aside from my pet rooster, I tolerated the rest of the chicken. I had no fun gathering eggs from the nests of deranged hens that were trying to set.
Actually, we are learning that being outside in the dirt and around animals (especially outdoor animals) is good for building up our immune systems, compared to children who grow up in homes or apartments without pets and the parents are constantly cleaning and sanitizing everything in the home. Our immune systems were designed more for what you were talking about.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » June 17th, 2021, 8:43 am

We had a rooster. Every day I would walk out of the cage bleeding from him attacking me. I would kick the sh$t out of him but the attacks continued. He had to weigh 20 pounds.

I finally shooed him out of the cage to fend for himself. He probably killed a couple of coyotes. Saw him run around the pastures for a few days. And then, thankfully, he disappeared.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke