Good farm memories.

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
SCKSCat

Good farm memories.

Post by SCKSCat » April 25th, 2021, 7:32 am

Sitting in the yard on a lazy evening or out on the tractor listening to a St. Louis baseball game on a radio station from Oklahoma and then later listening to a Royals game with Frank and Denny.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » April 25th, 2021, 9:13 am

For two summers I worked with a buddy who had moved away from our neighborhood to the Catskill Mountain area.

There were dairy farms all around and we worked on one. It was a German family. Old school. We stayed in their home and they fed us three meals a day.

They had about 80 dairy cows and we got up every morning at 4:30am to let them in to milk. We were woken up by the grandma..."Boys you vill get up!" By 8:00am we would be done and have breakfast. Then back out to the barn to clean the barn. Pick corn. Bale hay. It never freakin' ended. At least by that time we had milking machines.

We had off for two hours in the afternoon and would get a coke and basically collapse behind the candy store. By 4:00pm we were back letting the cows in and started the milking routine. Then the cleanup.

It took me two summer to decided that perhaps this is not a great way to make a living. The work was endless.

So, for 30+ years I avoided the farm life. But, now here I am back, but it is an Arabian Horse Barn. No milking! And I love it.

My hats off to all farmers.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » April 26th, 2021, 9:41 am

If one appreciates nature, then that person will appreciate farm life -- work and all. There are many trials, risks, and tribulations, but those are offset by as many splendid natural miracles, sights, and payoffs.

Farmers and ranchers are the most unappreciated segment of the U.S. population for the nation's overall well-being.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
stlcatfan