KSU Ag & Waters Hall

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

KSU Ag & Waters Hall

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 22nd, 2021, 4:43 pm

I recently received info from my 2nd alma mater, Oklahoma State, that a wealthy benefactor family has given OSU $100-million to build a new College of Ag building. Naturally, it will be a state-of-the-art building with all the latest communications bells & whistles -- and carry the family's name.

It makes me sad to walk into old, decrepit, and apparently forgotten Waters Hall at KSU.

With KSU facing a $27-million hit from state funding, I'm sure the campus building and remodeling fund is nil.

Kansas & KSU are paying the price for an agriculture industry on the ropes and the attendant declining rural population base. The Kansas Golden Goose --- profitable family-based agriculture -- is slowly dying of annual income/profit deficiency.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 22nd, 2021, 8:56 pm

Sad to see that for Waters Hall. I wasn't an agriculture major in college, but I thought if I ever won the lottery that I would donate a large amount of money to renovate a building like Waters Hall.

Last summer, I said that K-State needed to refocus on its mission as a land-grant school. With budget cuts and fewer dollars flowing in, K-State should use those dollars to make programs like agriculture, business, engineering, architecture, education, technology, and the sciences stronger and spend less time trying to keep up with liberal arts schools. The money just isn't there for schools like K-State to try to be all things to all people.

This is why trade schools are becoming more popular. They are efficient and focus on their mission. My son's school (Missouri S&T) does a pretty good job of that, too.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am

Is Missouri S & C the university in Rolla, Mo. ?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 23rd, 2021, 2:00 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am
Is Missouri S & C the university in Rolla, Mo. ?
Yes, that's the one. S&T stands for Science and Technology. They used to be known as the University of Missouri-Rolla.

I have been impressed with the school so far. As the name of the school implies, their focus is on STEM majors. Engineering, computers, and business are what they are most known for. My son is majoring in Information Science and Technology with a minor in Business. Actually, the way the program is set up, he takes business and computer classes each semester so that he has enough hours to earn a minor in business by the time he graduates with a degree in IST.

My son is good with technology and almost went the trade school route. Ranken Technical College here in St. Louis has an IT program that he was looking at, but in the end decided to go the college route. S&T combines the best of both college and trade school, IMO. One college we looked at didn't even offer course work in his major until the third year! The first two years were general education and elective classes. What a waste. No wonder so many people think college today is a scam.

Again, I hope K-State and other universities adjust with the times to be a good choice for kids in the 21st century. Focus on your mission!

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 24th, 2021, 11:35 am

Good for you and your son. Glad it's working out.

There is a wonderful natural spring close to Newberg, MO, not far from Rolla, that brings back fond memories.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 24th, 2021, 2:43 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 11:35 am
Good for you and your son. Glad it's working out.

There is a wonderful natural spring close to Newberg, MO, not far from Rolla, that brings back fond memories.
Thanks!

I will have to check out that natural spring next time I am down that way. That is pretty country down there.

purpleprairiecat

Post by purpleprairiecat » January 25th, 2021, 9:35 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 4:43 pm
I recently received info from my 2nd alma mater, Oklahoma State, that a wealthy benefactor family has given OSU $100-million to build a new College of Ag building. Naturally, it will be a state-of-the-art building with all the latest communications bells & whistles -- and carry the family's name.

It makes me sad to walk into old, decrepit, and apparently forgotten Waters Hall at KSU.

With KSU facing a $27-million hit from state funding, I'm sure the campus building and remodeling fund is nil.

Kansas & KSU are paying the price for an agriculture industry on the ropes and the attendant declining rural population base. The Kansas Golden Goose --- profitable family-based agriculture -- is slowly dying of annual income/profit deficiency.
This article provides the details of the gift:

https://news.okstate.edu/articles/commu ... llege.html

I believe the new building is nearing completion. New facilities like this at Oklahoma State make it increasingly difficult for K-State to compete in the recruitment of students and faculty.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 26th, 2021, 11:30 am

Thanks for the link. Too bad KSU can't do something similar.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 1st, 2021, 8:03 am

It was old and quaint in the 70s. I liked the way Waters smelled. It had a distinctive aroma. Not sure of the source.