Worst part of getting old

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Worst part of getting old

Post by ToledoCat#3 » August 6th, 2020, 1:15 pm

The worst part of getting old is outliving your good friends and having to attend their funerals.

Last night, one of my best friends, fishing buddy, and card-playing buddy died from a lung illness, not cancer, that caused him much suffering.

RIP, good friend.

WIldWIllieCat
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » August 6th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Sorry for your loss Toledo.
These users thanked the author WIldWIllieCat for the post:
stlcatfan

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » August 6th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Thanks, I'll miss him a lot. We had coffee together in his kitchen up until 4 days ago.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » August 6th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Toledo, this past week we had the company of the Mrs. of one of my best KSU buddies who passed away one year ago. Almost 6 decades of friendship. We were fraternity brothers, had all our classes together. Went on a dozen cruises together. Traveled by car all over this country and went to K-State games together.

He lived in Golden, Co and was a terrific CPA and business man. I live in the Dallas area, but that didn't stop us from getting together... a lot. Some of the joys we shared was his arriving just after Christmas and we would watch ALL the bowl games. After tax season he would go to Naples, FL. for R&R and we would join them there.

Three of my four high school running buddies are long gone. They died in their early 60's.

Peace to you, Toledo and to your friend.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » August 6th, 2020, 5:02 pm

All my good college buddies from KSU and OSU and still hanging in there. A goodly number of my small high school buddies have passed -- some at relatively early ages.

Thanks for the comment, RZ.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » August 6th, 2020, 11:11 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 1:15 pm
The worst part of getting old is outliving your good friends and having to attend their funerals.

Last night, one of my best friends, fishing buddy, and card-playing buddy died from a lung illness, not cancer, that caused him much suffering.

RIP, good friend.
Very sad to hear. My condolences. That had to be hard.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wazucat

Post by wazucat » August 9th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Sorry for your loss. It is bad to lose old friends. It is worse to lose young friends who have not yet lived a full life IMO.

bindweed

Post by bindweed » August 13th, 2020, 8:30 pm

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Toledo. Good friends are hard to find and make your life better.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » August 14th, 2020, 3:48 pm

When you're gone, the only thing you leave are memories -- fond ones, hopefully.

My good friend (we will inter his ashes tomorrow morning) kept his card playing winnings in an old sock. After he died, the owner of the place we played, retrieved the sock and money (several dollars of change), plus an IOU of $3.20 cents from yours truly. I don't even recall putting the IOU in the sock. However, yesterday, I stopped by my friend's son and laughingly gave him $3.20 to make sure the "estate settlement" didn't come up short. We had a good laugh. Then the son said the sock and the money goes into the grave with his dad's ashes. I will always have that fond memory of my friend.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanKITNoogaSection 12-2

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » August 15th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Sorry for your loss.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder