TCU

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
ksuwbbfan

Re: TCU

Post by ksuwbbfan » February 20th, 2020, 12:43 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:55 am
Before she was injured, Ranke, in my mind, was driving to the hoop and scoring more. Anyone who says we don't miss her is just wanting to dis this team and coaching staff.
I agree, Ranke is an asset and is definitely missed.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 20th, 2020, 1:16 pm

catl wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 9:31 pm
Easy win for K-State if there is any guard play at all. Starting guards - 2 of 22 from the field, 0 of 9 from 3 point range, 3 assists, 3 turnovers. Horrendous
so, why were they shooting so much? and to have the ball with 6 secs left and not even get off a game-closing shot is inexcusable. yikes.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 20th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Nuthin' is 'inexcusable' in the heat of competition. Unfortunate "stuff" happens when people are intense and trying hard.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » February 20th, 2020, 7:31 pm

i, too, agree that we miss ranke more than most people realize. not only here outside shooting and her improved mid-range game, but she had improved immensely on defense also. also, she has been in the system for three years and has developed into one of the leaders on the team. i know some of you will disagree with me, but just giving you my opinion. with that said, every team has injuries and you have to play through them, and we have struggled to do that. our depth has been severely exposed.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 20th, 2020, 8:47 pm

We miss Ranke only in the fact that she is better than some of our other options, which isn't saying a lot. As for her improving driving to the hoop and scoring more, not the case. In the 8 games she played. She scored 81 pts. 45pts were from 3pt. 10 were from free throws. That leaves 26pts (or an avg of 3 points/game) from "driving". And half of those were break away layups which I wouldn't really consider "driving". This all against the scrubs of the non conference. Is Ranke>Goodrich? Yes
Is Ranke>Macke? Yes. Is Ranke>Beard or Carr or Simmons? at times. Would we be tournament bound if Ranke hadn't gotten injured? Sadly, No! As a collective unit our guards are the bottom of the conference in scoring and having Ranke wouldnt change that stat.

purpleprairiecat

Post by purpleprairiecat » February 20th, 2020, 11:36 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
Before she was injured, Ranke, in my mind, was driving to the hoop and scoring more. Anyone who says we don't miss her is just wanting to dis this team and coaching staff.
I agree! I would add one other point about the TCU game. The officiating was horrible, and the TCU coach got away with bloody murder in working the refs. She was literally telling them what to call, and they followed her orders. You don't see this sort of thing on TV - only in person. The officiating in Big 12 women's basketball is atrocious. Something needs to be done. It is not fair to the players who play hard only to have the game stolen by incompetent game officials.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 21st, 2020, 6:54 am

purpleprairiecat wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:36 pm
ToledoCat#2 wrote:
I agree! I would add one other point about the TCU game. The officiating was horrible, and the TCU coach got away with bloody murder in working the refs. She was literally telling them what to call, and they followed her orders. You don't see this sort of thing on TV - only in person. The officiating in Big 12 women's basketball is atrocious. Something needs to be done. It is not fair to the players who play hard only to have the game stolen by incompetent game officials.
Yeah, that Pebley is a terrible coach. She should just stand there with her arms folded looking dumb founded like the coach TCU had before her. What a blessing for TCU to unload an 18-14 NIT bound coach off their program.

Navycat

Post by Navycat » February 21st, 2020, 6:58 am

Yep your disdain for Mittie is well noted.

bballparent

Post by bballparent » February 21st, 2020, 9:05 am

Greycat is right! Here is what I know. Ranke is a huge key on how this team rolls and the coaching staff knows it. She has played through many injuries since she's been here without missing a game until the major foot injury. These injuries have really held her back somewhat. She has skills to do anything on the court including playing defense at a high level. She struggled defensively at times as a freshman but that has changed. The coaching staff wanted her to shoot 3's. Period! Carr misses Ranke the most. Shooting 19% since she has been out. Unfortunately Carr is feeling the pressure. Simmons can shoot well trust me. I believe she will become a good player and is showing signs of that. The rest of the players I'm not sure of yet. Many of you have mention the guard play. Well it all starts at the point. This team desperately needs a decent point guard. I think the point guard play has been very sub par and selfish at times this season. The floor needs to be spread out more and it usually doesn't happen much. Forcing the ball inside constantly doesn't win many games but what choice have they had because players either are not stepping up or just aren't capable. Ayokie and Peyton will continue to pad their stats standing under the basket because it's the only way this team has been scoring. Unfortunately, I really don't see post season unless something drastically changes over the last half dozen games.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 21st, 2020, 10:43 am

Navycat wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 6:58 am
Yep your disdain for Mittie is well noted.
Unfortunately, not well noted by the people that matter.