Tough loss to Clones

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
bballparent
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tough loss to Clones

Post by bballparent » January 25th, 2020, 10:36 am

This team misses Ranke more than you know. She always draws the opponents best perimeter defender which freed others to try and make plays. Yes she needs to get more consistent but that is coming. She's played with various injuries/illness the past two years. Carr is Carr. I've watched her now for six years and this is what she is. Great against lesser teams and struggles versus better teams. With Ranke out she gets the top defender and that's not going well for her. The point guard play has been horrible and that in my opinion is the biggest factor. The ball movement is non existent. I believe Simmons will keep getting better and eventually be a good point guard when she takes over next season. Teams can't survive solely on forcing the ball inside every time down the court. There needs to be other options. The bench is also nonexistent. When the starters go out the drop off is huge. Way to much subbing going on especially at in opportune times. Yes all the ripping of the coach is your right as fans and some of it is justifiable. It for sure looks to be an underachieving season which is very disappointing.
These users liked bballparent for the post (total 2):
AlabamaLane (January 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm) • purpleprairiecat (January 26th, 2020, 3:13 pm)

greycat68
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Post by greycat68 » January 25th, 2020, 11:37 am

good post. agree with everything you said. the substitution pattern drives me crazy. as you point out, the fall off from the starters is huge. i don't understand why 3-4 minutes into the game you have to start pulling starters out to rest. look at uconn. in competitive games their key players play 40 minutes a game. same at baylor. when we played okie state vivian gray played 40 minutes and natasha mack played 39+. there is no way they can get in any kind of flow when you are getting jerked in and out all the time. i constantly see a player make 1 or 2 shots and immediately get taken out. every point you made is spot on. we miss rachel more than just for her shooting. i knew when we lost her it was going to be a long year the rest of the way

bballparent
Been liked: 8 times

Post by bballparent » January 25th, 2020, 12:03 pm

I totally agree greycat. In college basketball all the good and especially the great teams don't keep subbing their top players in and out. They let them get into the flow of the game. Shooters really need that to get their timing down. That's how you win!
These kids are in good shape and can play the whole game if necessary. Hopefully they don't have to but if they do, they do.

Wyldkatz
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Wyldkatz » January 25th, 2020, 5:12 pm

We are the only team in the country with 2 players that avg. a double-double, and we have a losing record! That should tell you all you need to know about our guard play. Harris is good enough to keep them in games, but our shooting guards are abysmal. Carr has made 10 3s in like her last 70 attempts. She made 1 fg today (a break away layup). You aren't going to be very competitive with that kind of production from a starter who gets nearly 30 min/game. The other guard spot isn't any better. Goodrich is good for maybe 2 pts and a couple travels a game. Beard can give you 8 some games and 0 to 2 other games. She just drives with reckless abandonment, so just a matter if refs feel like calling blocks or charges. Feel bad for Lee and Williams. They deserve to have a better season, team wise, than what Mittie has put together.

Smurf22
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Smurf22 » January 25th, 2020, 9:46 pm

This team had a bright future in the beginning... on paper. Theses are basically the same problems from last year, just now people are seeing it because of losses and missed shots. The bigs are playing well, however they are better suited if Williams plays more outside. Harris is a saving grace right now. Carr has not improved, this was her game last year, just a shooter, and since she can’t create space, or drive to the basket, teams have figured her out. Beard can be decent if you open the floor and run her on the wing. Just don’t have her handle the ball in open court. Goodrich could be effective, but I believe surgeries on both shoulders have made her very tentative about contact . Simmons, Ebert and Macke can be good role players with some more game play. These girls play hard but they keep making the same mistakes because they’re unwilling to change or adapt or adjust during gameplay

greycat68
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Post by greycat68 » January 26th, 2020, 11:26 am

we were fortunate yesterday. oklahoma is the team in the conference we match up with best. they don't have much athleticism and they had no size to defend our big girls. they were also playing without their best player and leading scorer who was injured. we played much better, but some of that was due to the match ups. williams and lee were good as usual and harris has been a pleasant surprise in big 12 play. as pointed out in other posts, the shooting guards were once again non-existant. the 3 pointers we got were from peyton and the point. i did think ebert played much improved. she played with more aggression and confidence. as wyldkatz points out, it baffles me how we can be the only team in the nation with two players averaging a double-double and still have a losing record.

wazucat
Has liked: 246 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by wazucat » January 26th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 5:12 pm
We are the only team in the country with 2 players that avg. a double-double, and we have a losing record! That should tell you all you need to know about our guard play. Harris is good enough to keep them in games, but our shooting guards are abysmal. Carr has made 10 3s in like her last 70 attempts. She made 1 fg today (a break away layup). You aren't going to be very competitive with that kind of production from a starter who gets nearly 30 min/game. The other guard spot isn't any better. Goodrich is good for maybe 2 pts and a couple travels a game. Beard can give you 8 some games and 0 to 2 other games. She just drives with reckless abandonment, so just a matter if refs feel like calling blocks or charges. Feel bad for Lee and Williams. They deserve to have a better season, team wise, than what Mittie has put together.
WOW that stat is amazing, and a terrible indicator of our teams strength and weakness. What is our prognosis for next season with Williams gone :(

purpleprairiecat
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by purpleprairiecat » January 26th, 2020, 3:24 pm

greycat68 wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 11:26 am
we were fortunate yesterday. oklahoma is the team in the conference we match up with best. they don't have much athleticism and they had no size to defend our big girls. they were also playing without their best player and leading scorer who was injured. we played much better, but some of that was due to the match ups. williams and lee were good as usual and harris has been a pleasant surprise in big 12 play. as pointed out in other posts, the shooting guards were once again non-existant. the 3 pointers we got were from peyton and the point. i did think ebert played much improved. she played with more aggression and confidence. as wyldkatz points out, it baffles me how we can be the only team in the nation with two players averaging a double-double and still have a losing record.
Good points. I also think Mittie and the rest of the coaching staff are due some recognition for an excellent scout of OU. In addition, we made offensive adjustments in the 2nd quarter when we fell behind by double digits. Mittie moved Williams outside for much of the rest of the game in order to take advantage of her shooting and passing ability. I am not sure this strategy will work in the future, and OU did make adjustments so that the strategy was not as effective later in the game.