Tough loss to Clones

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 221 times

Tough loss to Clones

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 23rd, 2020, 10:58 am

Had to listen to the game. Kids tried hard, but too many mistakes and they faded down the stretch.

greycat68
Been liked: 7 times

Post by greycat68 » January 23rd, 2020, 12:01 pm

i note the subject oof this thread is identical to that of the last game. "tough loss". the narrative could also be the same. too many turnovers, poor shooting and bad defense. i have to finally admit this is just not a good team. i had high hopes at the beginning of the year. thought they had every chance of going at least 13-5 and finishing 3rd in the big 12. now, i think we are looking at 3-15 at best. i also fear we are in danger of losing at least one and maybe both games to ku. it is just hard to watch. every other team in the conference just has more athletic and higher skilled basketball players than we do. our girls try hard, but they are simply overmatched athletically, and just gradually get worn down. while i have tried to stand behind coach mittie and his staff in the past, the shortcomings of the program now have to be put squarely at their feet. their recruiting efforts have obviosly fallen short of what is necessary to compete at a top level, and many of their actual coaching methods and strategies have been less than successful. and if we think this year is bad, wait until next year. we lose williams and harris . two of our best players and top scorers. we have only signed 2 players for next year and one of those is a big post player who is a "project". the program is on a downward trjectory and i'm afraid if a change isn't made soon it will only continue to get worse

Wyldkatz
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Wyldkatz » January 23rd, 2020, 1:55 pm

The guy is in way over his head in this league. Mountain West quality players are not gonna cut it in the Big12. Every team in this conference has 2 or 3 players that can shoot from behind the arc at a higher clip than anyone we have. I don't know exactly what they shot from 3 last night, but it was below 15% for sure. Just embarrassing. But hey, let's give the guy another 6 years he will turn things around.

iowa_wildcat
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by iowa_wildcat » January 23rd, 2020, 4:47 pm

I attended the game last night. Yes, without Williams and Harris the score would have been much worse. On the post game show the ISU coach said their game plan was to pack and paint and force to Cats to try to beat them by shooting 3s.

As a side note, a bus load of high school players from two different high schools and parents and/or sponsors were in attendance at the game and sat all together. One of Iowa State's forwards just happens to have the same hometown as Yokie. They sat together by the ISU band. It was fun to watch the different reactions as the game went on. You did not have to ask which high school the girls were from based upon when they cheered wildly.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 23rd, 2020, 4:55 pm

we shot 2-14 from 3. 14%.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 23rd, 2020, 7:48 pm

I think Mittie recruits good post players, but not 3 point shooters and effective rebounders.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 24th, 2020, 12:18 am

well, whatever, the overall product being put on the floor is not getting the job done. this is the worst team i have seen at k-state in many years. terrible passing, too many dumb charging fouls, allowing way too many wide open shots to the opposition, noone can shoot the ball outside the paint and i could go on, but on top of being short on athletic ability we are just bad fundamentally. put the two together and we have very little chance of winning at the big 12 level.

Wyldkatz
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Wyldkatz » January 24th, 2020, 6:29 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 7:48 pm
I think Mittie recruits good post players, but not 3 point shooters and effective rebounders.
Lee is good, but he has struck out plenty in the post as well. Lakes, Ray, Chapman, etc. are not Big 12 caliber bigs. Hell, when Lee is on the bench he has Macke playing the post. Lol

catl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by catl » January 24th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Carr hasn’t turned out to be the player expected, and they still lack quality point guard play (that’s been a problem for a few years now). The inability to shoot threes at any kind of proficiency is killing this team

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 24th, 2020, 6:02 pm

That's why they miss Ranke so much. She hit hot and cold, but was the best we had.