Lady Cats beat UMKC yesterday

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lady Cats beat UMKC yesterday

Post by ToledoCat#2 » December 15th, 2019, 11:18 am

Couldn't watch the game, but they won. Pretty close game judging from the final score.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » December 15th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Down 6 points in the middle of the 4th quarter and scored 13 straight to win. Some people have been very tough on our point guard from Houston but we wouldn’t have won this game without her. Lee and Williams were also good but got nothing from Carr and Ranke. Good to see Coach M play some other people when starters are having bad games.

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » December 15th, 2019, 4:04 pm

It was a see-saw game the whole way, but, from a talent standpoint, it shouldn't have been close.

Williams got off to a great start and had 13 points at the half. During the second quarter, UMKC started crowding the middle and we didn't respond particularly well. Ranke was invisible. But, that's better than Carr who was a black hole - either taking poor shots and barely drawing iron or turning the ball over (4 TOs to lead the team). Mittie played with Harris/Goodrich for a good chunk of the game and UMKC dared K-State to shoot. After UMKC clogged the lane, Williams had ONE shot in the entire second half (though Lee did score at will). UMKC could not stop Williams (or Lee) on the inside, but Mittie can't/won't run plays to get Williams/Lee touches on every possession (obviously, it doesn't help that our guards aren't great on entry passes, but the coaching staff needs to fix that). What UMKC did is what any sane team will do the rest of the year because if Ranke/Carr aren't hitting, we don't have another genuine outside threat.

To Harris' credit, she played very well in the mid-range game to soften up the defense and she hit what was essentially the game winning shot ( a deep three as the shot clock expired with K-State up 2 with under a minute left). She still had some bad turnovers, but she was enormously better than Ranke or Carr yesterday.

All this said, if Mittie can't get this team to play better (one with 4 top 100 players, 6 top 150 players and 8 top 200 players), I think we can officially shut the door on anything significant being achieved during his tenure.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » December 15th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Best game I've seen from Harris since her arrival. Unfortunately, second game in a row that we get very little from our other 2 starting guards. Williams and Lee are reliable, and we are going to get a double-double from both of them many nights. However, you never know which Ranke and Carr will show up each game. This team has potential to be pretty good, especially the starting 5. But Ranke and Carr have to get some consistency. We are average when 1 doesnt contribute and below average when they both disappear.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 16th, 2019, 12:18 pm

harris played well at arkansas as well. it was the first game i've actually attended in person. the two shooting guards, however, contributed nothing and it cost us the game, as arky just collapsed on lee and williams effectively taking them out of the game. i think ranke's been dealing with injuries. but carr, my goodness, so much more was expected of her.
Why is there something rather than nothing?