Peeking ahead to next year

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
purogato
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Peeking ahead to next year

Post by purogato » March 12th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I am enjoying every minute of Kayla Goth's career and don't want to see it end.

But that said, it's kind of fun to look ahead at what we have next year. We'll lose 2 - Goth and Kali Jones - and essentially add 5 - Bates, Goodrich, Lee, plus the two recruits Thorpe and Chapman.

I have lots of questions about how this will look.

POINT GUARD: Does Bates take the full-time point guard duty? Do we recruit a transfer to step into that role (a la Karyla Middlebrook)? That's my hope, I guess. Or is Thorpe capable of playing that role?

BIG: I hear Lee will be a big addition. Is Chapman capable of playing a role immediately?

WINGS: We should be loaded here with Ranke and Carr showing the production we thought they could. Beard fits in the this group. Is Goodrich going to be able to play point, or she strictly off-guard type?

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » March 12th, 2019, 10:14 pm

A lot to look forward to for next year. Is Bates a PG or more of a 2 guard? Surely she wouldn’t start over Carr or Ranke? From what others have said on here is that Simmons is a PG, but is she good enough to start or could Goodrich start instead?

oldcat59

Post by oldcat59 » March 13th, 2019, 9:16 am

It is great to see so much SPECULATION and ENTHUSIASM for the future of K-State Women's basketball. We were not able to watch Emma Chapman in person in February as we had hoped to. From high-lights videos of both her and Jada it would seem highly unlikely either will have an immediate impact, or have a starting role this next fall.

Bates showed tremendous potential early on when she worked with the practice guys in scrimmages. There is some concern she might not be fast enough to run an up-beat system...... if that is what Coach Mittie is considering. SPECULATION is all we have today. Goodrich is nearly at full recovery. Lee looks strong and healthy, Macke has made unbelievable improvement. Beard could be a super player if she ever learns to control herself. Carr hopefully will grow up more this summer. Savvy has lost weight and gained strength and has potential (knowledge) to play pg. SPECULATION! isn't it wonderful we have this dream of being much better next season?

About August 30th we might be able to give you a more accurate report of what the future looks like! In the mean time, keep SPECULATING!

purogato

Post by purogato » March 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

From your messages, I take it you are questioning the same thing I am - is Bates a 30+ minute per game point guard? or do we need to bring in someone to help, a la Karyla Middlebrook?

I am not sure what role Goodrich plays next year. If she is a 2/3, she looks light years behind Ranke and Carr. But if she's a 1, I don't have much confidence as our primary point guard.

I guess I kind of see playing time going this way, in generally this order:

POINT: Bates, JUCO/TRANSFER, Goodrich, Simmons, Wiggins

WINGS: Ranke, Carr, Beard, Goodrich

FOURS: Williams, Macke, Beard

FIVES: Lee, Ray, Williams

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » March 15th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Good a prediction as any.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » March 15th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Cat fans trying to figure out next season's team are in for a whole bunch of hand wringing. None of us have seen Bates or Lee play at the P5 level and Goodrich has been so seldom, if ever, injury free that it is not funny. Goodrich has to have a strong desire to play. Why else would someone go through endless rehabs and surgery.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 16th, 2019, 11:15 am

ayoka lee is certainly an attractive and imposing young woman. i stood by her at an unrelated university event and was taken with her size. i'm 6'3". she's 6'5". i have no clue if she can ball though but her history certainly looks impressive. :|

HIGH SCHOOL
#38 post in the nation by ESPNW Hoopgurlz... #4 player in the Midwest by Five State Hoops... #146 player in the nation by Prospects Nation... #27 post in the nation by Prospects Nation... 2018 Miss Minnesota Basketball finalist ... 2018 MGBCA Class 2A All-State... 2018 MGBCA Class 2A All-Star... 2018 Minnesota Miss Basketball candidate... 2017 MGBCA Class 3A All-State... Two-time Rochester Post-Bulletin All-Rochester Area Team... Three-time All-Hiawatha Valley League... In her senior season, she averaged 26.6 points, 15.7 rebounds and 5.5 blocks... Averaged 24.9 points, 16.4 rebounds and 4.1 blocks in her junior season... 2016 MGBCA Class 3A All-State... During her sophomore season, she averaged 24.6 points, 13.8 rebounds and 4.5 blocks... Scored over 2,000 points in her high school career... Owns the school record for points in a season and points in a single game (54)... Owns the school records for career rebounds, single season rebounds and single game rebounds (28)... Also a three-time letter winner in volleyball and a two-time letter winner in track and field.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » March 16th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Yoki has size, hands, and a great story. Now if we only knew if the competition she played against in high school prepared her for P5 basketball. Does she have the coordination, quickness, strength,and toughness to play at the Big 12 level? Like tmcats said, " I have no clue if she can ball..." We can only hope...

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 16th, 2019, 2:48 pm

iowa_wildcat wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Yoki has size, hands, and a great story. Now if we only knew if the competition she played against in high school prepared her for P5 basketball. Does she have the coordination, quickness, strength,and toughness to play at the Big 12 level? Like tmcats said, " I have no clue if she can ball..." We can only hope...
You can't teach size or hands so those are a good starting point. :)

Smurf22

Post by Smurf22 » April 2nd, 2019, 2:31 pm

iowa_wildcat wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Cat fans trying to figure out next season's team are in for a whole bunch of hand wringing. None of us have seen Bates or Lee play at the P5 level and Goodrich has been so seldom, if ever, injury free that it is not funny. Goodrich has to have a strong desire to play. Why else would someone go through endless rehabs and surgery.
I'm sure glad you said this because everyone likes to speculate, no one knows but Coach Mittie. But if we're gonna do this, I agree no one has seen Bates or Lee play but some people think they should be starters next season. Goodrich has been injured during her stay but Mittie believes she can contribute. He could've redshirted her during her freshman year, she basically played with one arm the whole season. As for her playing PG, no one expected Goth to do what she's done considering she was brought in as a 2 guard. It's a wait and see with her and all returning players except Williams. They ALL need to spend time in the gym, as in the NCAA, Michigan exposed every weakness this team has. Optimism is great, but reality is we as fans have nothing to go on, because all we saw was bits and pieces of what they have as players. No one has true game experience other than Williams, Ranke, Carr and Beard. Maybe we'll have better insight once Summer is over and everyone is healthy.