New Era? Any thoughts?

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
Smurf22

New Era? Any thoughts?

Post by Smurf22 » May 29th, 2018, 11:52 am

I recently looked at this year's upcoming roster,and I'm just wondering are we headed towards a new era and a new style of play this upcoming season? Are we more athletic? Will we be better defensively? Are we faster? Will they rebound better? This team wont be as big as last year, so what can we look forward to as fans? I'm expecting a shot at the NCAA Tournament.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » May 29th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I don't see much difference in size. Page played outside most of the time so losing a couple of inches there won't matter much, especially if we gain in quickness/speed. We will miss Martin's toughness but she wasn't much of an offensive threat. We still have the size of the returning freshman (now soph.) posts, add in the red-shirt, and gain a 6'5" freshman post. We will also have Williams back at 6'4". I think the key is having a point guard that will allow Goth to play at the 2 most of the time - not a problem if she plays a few minutes a game at the point and also we need improvement from at least one of the young post players.

bballparent
Has thanked: 0

Post by bballparent » May 29th, 2018, 1:56 pm

This year's team basically lost nothing from last season except maybe some leadership. Goth, Williams and Ranke will be rely'd on for the brunt of scoring again. Cymone has the ability to contribute but needs to stay healthy. Kali is very serviceable playing some minutes in the paint. She did some good things last season as she played more. The two returning young posts hopefully have been working hard in the off season to be able to compete better underneath. Mainly on footwork and court awareness. As for all the incoming freshman, time will tell. Ayoke is still recovering from knee surgery. Hopefully we can find a true point guard in Simmons. Ball movement was horrible last season once the ball got past half court. In my opinion there is enough talent to get to the ncaa. Just a matter of performing consistently all season.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » May 29th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Unless I am bonkers, this team will be able to play more man defense because of an upgrade in quickness and footspeed.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » May 31st, 2018, 11:16 am

If a new era starts 5 years into a Coaching regime. That is a pretty good indication that the Coach's philosophy of physical attributes, skill sets, defensive strategy, and basically knowing what works for a program FAILED.

I heard Coach Mittie on the Catbacker tour saying we need to play more man defense and we need to get quicker and more athletic. My first thought on all his cop outs was you have had plenty of time. The man has only had ONE season where his Big XII record was better than .500.

KSU can do better.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » May 31st, 2018, 2:07 pm

Oh boy, WE is at it again........

kswrangler52

Post by kswrangler52 » May 31st, 2018, 6:51 pm

Would you expect anything different from him?

DMC

Post by DMC » May 31st, 2018, 9:46 pm

I agree ditch the zone. I say this as a basketball fundamentals person. Please work on blocking off the boards. Last years team was the worst KSU women’s team at blocking off the boards, that I’ve seen.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » June 1st, 2018, 10:08 am

pipe95 wrote:Oh boy, WE is at it again........
Then please tell me what our Coach has done to deserve to be a multi $millionaire$ from our donations and ticket purchases.

I believe the only reason he is still HC is because Currie on his way out gave him a giant contract that Taylor does not want to eat.

KSU can do better.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 1st, 2018, 2:41 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
pipe95 wrote:Oh boy, WE is at it again........
Then please tell me what our Coach has done to deserve to be a multi $millionaire$ from our donations and ticket purchases.

I believe the only reason he is still HC is because Currie on his way out gave him a giant contract that Taylor does not want to eat.

KSU can do better.
WE, No doubt you are a passionate KState wbb fan. Let there be no doubt that “WE” get it that you don’t like Mittie. And it’s hard to argue his and his teams’ shortcomings. But as many on here have heard in their lives - and likely have told others - “just let it go!”