ku going before independent panel ...

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
katlander

Re: ku going before independent panel ...

Post by katlander » July 2nd, 2020, 2:03 pm

A hand slap here is another slap in the face of the fans of college sports.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

yeah, what i hope to see is a 'show cause' for bill self, at minimum one year, reduction in scholarships, loss of past championships, and ncaa ban for a minimum one year.
Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

KsJoey
Has thanked: 0

Post by KsJoey » July 2nd, 2020, 4:12 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm
yeah, what i hope to see is a 'show cause' for bill self, at minimum one year, reduction in scholarships, loss of past championships, and ncaa ban for a minimum one year.
Agreed, that should be a minimum. But if the panel agrees fully with the NCAA, I would expect multiple year bans.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 2nd, 2020, 8:00 pm

katlander wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 2:03 pm
A hand slap here is another slap in the face of the fans of college sports.
Sadly, this is what I am expecting. I hope they prove me wrong.

Credulum
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Credulum » July 28th, 2020, 2:47 pm

I think this is better for the NCAA as it takes it out of their hands and then if KU gets everything they should have coming, the NCAA wasn't "the bad guy". Slam a blue blood back to reality and hope it cleans things up if an independent group gives a more severe penalty than what the NCAA laid out.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 28th, 2020, 2:55 pm

this is a ncaa committee though. they just aren't from the normal cabal of university leaders.

IARP Structure
Independent Accountability Oversight Committee
The Independent Accountability Oversight Committee oversees the independent process. It consists of the chair and vice chair of the Division I Board of Directors and three of the newly appointed independent members of the Board of Governors.

In addition to overseeing all operational matters, the committee appoints independent external investigators and advocates on the Complex Case Unit, selects members of the Infractions Referral Committee, and nominates members of the Independent Resolution Panel.

Infractions Referral Committee
The Infractions Referral Committee decides whether to approve or reject requests to refer infractions cases to the independent process.

The committee consists of a member of the Independent Resolution Panel (serves as chair), a member of the Division I Committee on Infractions, a member of the Division I Infractions Appeals Committee, and the chair and vice chair of the Division I Council.

Complex Case Unit
The Complex Case Unit includes both external investigators and advocates with no school or conference affiliations as well as one member of the enforcement staff. Independent investigators and advocates are a vital part of the new process. When a case is referred to the independent structure, the Complex Case Unit will assess whether further investigation of the facts is needed. The unit then will conduct any additional investigation and shepherd the case through its review by the Independent Resolution Panel.

Independent Resolution Panel
The Independent Resolution Panel reviews the allegations issued by the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. It then conducts a hearing, decides whether violations occurred and prescribes penalties. The panel consists of 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds. Once a case is referred to the IARP, a hearing panel consisting of five Independent Resolution Panel members is generated.

Decisions issued by the Independent Resolution Panel are final and are not subject to appeal or further review.
Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.