ku going before independent panel ...

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
tmcats

Pick 'Em

ku going before independent panel ...

Post by tmcats » July 1st, 2020, 4:39 pm

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2020/jul/ ... -on-kus-n/

A new panel designed to handle the most complex rules in collegiate sports has officially agreed to hear the University of Kansas' case surrounding serious pay-for-play allegations in the men's basketball program, the sports' governing body announced Wednesday.

Over a month after KU's case was officially referred to the Independent Accountability Resolution Process, a five-person panel finally accepted the request to have the case heard outside the processes of the NCAA, the governing body for collegiate sports.

... The charges facing KU, which include a coach responsibility charge against Bill Self and a lack of institutional control, carry potential penalties ranging from postseason bans and vacated wins to suspensions for Self and assistant coach Kurtis Townsend.

Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

learnin

Post by learnin » July 1st, 2020, 6:30 pm

I think this is a smart move

PurpleWildcat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PurpleWildcat » July 1st, 2020, 9:15 pm

learnin wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:30 pm
For who, KU or the rest of us?

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » July 2nd, 2020, 10:01 am

PurpleWildcat wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 9:15 pm
learnin wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:30 pm
For who, KU or the rest of us?
You could probably argue it both ways, but I think it’s a smart move by KU.

Rulings from this committee are unappealable. Their decision will be final.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 2nd, 2020, 10:17 am

Independent Resolution Panel
The Independent Resolution Panel reviews the allegations issued by the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. It then conducts a hearing, decides whether violations occurred and prescribes penalties. The panel consists of 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds. Once a case is referred to the IARP, a hearing panel consisting of five Independent Resolution Panel members is generated.

Decisions issued by the Independent Resolution Panel are final and are not subject to appeal or further review.

Members: 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds who are not affiliated with NCAA member schools or conferences. Each case will be handled by a panel of five of the 15 members. • Reviews allegations from the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. • Oversees the case hearing and decides penalties. • If appropriate, expands upon allegations presented by the Complex Case Unit.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » July 2nd, 2020, 10:22 am

An independent panel? I can’t wait to see that one!! :rofl: Might want to see who that is!!!! And check out their new yachts!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

here are the panel members. most all of them are lawyers. many are in the arbitration profession. five will be selected to hear the ku case.

Jodi Balsam Brooklyn Law School
David Benck American Arbitration Association
Jeffrey Benz JAMS, Inc.
Mary Braza Foley & Lardner LLP
Bernetta Bush JAMS, Inc.
Joan Cronan University of Tennessee, Knoxville (Retired)
Javier Flores Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
Hugh Fraser JAMS, Inc.
Patricia Timmons Goodson Justice, Supreme Court of North Carolina (Retired)
Corey Jackson University of California San Francisco
Bruce Meyerson Bruce Meyerson PLLC
Tracy Porter Premiere Solutions
Michelle Pujals Tautemo Consulting LLC
Christina Guerola Sarchio Dechert LLP
Dana Welch Welch ADR

https://iarpcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ebsite.pdf

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » July 2nd, 2020, 11:34 am

From my understanding, it's really tough to know if this is good or bad for KU. Good for KU in that there's a chance the panel may not go as hard against KU as the NCAA obviously would, and let them off with less penalties. Bad, because KU can't appeal the decision, and bad because KU will have a harder time suing the NCAA when it was essentially the panel that made the final decision.. and one that both parties agreed to refer to.

There could be (and likely will be) civil suits if the panel comes down hard on KU as the NCAA recommends. But the punishment/bans aren't going to change.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » July 2nd, 2020, 12:30 pm

My take is that the NCAA finally at long last realizes the jig is up, what with recorded phone calls etc., and wants to pass the buck on to disinterested third parties to insulate themselves. I have a very hard time thinking this is good for KU. I'd think these panels will want to come out of the box with guns blazing if part of the idea is to clean up the swamp, at least a little. Is there a timeline on when this will be heard and decided?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 2nd, 2020, 12:33 pm

this independent body is an outgrowth of condi rice's earlier workgroup recommendations. at the time, people here and elsewhere broadly panned condi and her commission. well, we'll soon know if that was justified - hopefully, not.

The (Rice) commission essentially called for an overhaul of how the NCAA handles “complex and serious” infractions cases. The commission, for one, recommended that the NCAA create independent bodies to investigate and decide those cases. Secondly, it called for much more severe penalties. Apr 25, 2018