tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: Ezeagu can play immediately this upcoming season

Post by tmcats » June 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am

epicsnyder wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 10:32 am
AJcat7755 wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 11:16 pm

I was starting to understand your point about those worker warriors being less mobile or flexible. But now your saying that those that workout the hardest in the weight room are low on the intelligence scale :roll: A bit of a stereotype don't you think? One can both put time in at the gym and in the books, they are not mutually exclusive.
Good God. Why does everyone get so damn butt hurt these days?!?! Can you freakin' READ. I CLEARLY said it isn't ALL of them.

And it's not a stereotype if it's true.

And I NEVER said it was mutually exclusive. Not once.

I work with athletes. Every day. Have for 30 years. Lived it as an athlete myself. I see it, I live, I experience it. I never said it was mutually exclusive.
irony. ^^^
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » June 2nd, 2020, 12:11 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
AJcat7755 wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 11:16 pm

I was starting to understand your point about those worker warriors being less mobile or flexible. But now your saying that those that workout the hardest in the weight room are low on the intelligence scale :roll: A bit of a stereotype don't you think? One can both put time in at the gym and in the books, they are not mutually exclusive.
Good God. Why does everyone get so damn butt hurt these days?!?! Can you freakin' READ. I CLEARLY said it isn't ALL of them.

I work with athletes. Every day. Have for 30 years. Lived it as an athlete myself. I see it, I live, I experience it. I never said it was mutually exclusive.
Interesting that you are calling someone "butt hurt" and yet your the one using ALL CAPS and using terms like "Good God" and "freakin". No where was I "butt hurt" just rolled my eyes at your statement (an expression of disbelief). I have no personal attachment to the subject as to get upset about in contrary to your background which might attach you more to it.

As for being asked to "freakin' READ" you will also notice that I did not say it was "ALL of them" either.

This is actually a stereotype, because you "CLEARLY said it isn't ALL of them", which by definition, that is a stereotype as there are individuals in the population that this statement does not apply to. If it were to be true of all individuals, it would actually be a fact. I understand where the stereotype comes from, but it is not true of all players, in all sports, and in all situations.

Lastly, Ezeagu joined the team mid-year. He could not play in games. All he could do was workout and practice. This alone could lead to him putting more time in the gym, and be a workout warrior, because he had more time then players that were participating in games. There is a possibility that during the offseason and/or season, that his workout routine would change. So just because he workouts hard now, doesn't mean that will continue, and therefore the concerns about his flexibility, agility, or even his intelligence, could lighten as he wouldn't be the gym rat anymore.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » June 2nd, 2020, 1:24 pm

tmcats wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am
epicsnyder wrote:

irony. ^^^
Ahhhhh,......what a shock. Richard has to something to say about it. I am just amazed.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 2nd, 2020, 3:10 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 1:24 pm
tmcats wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am

irony. ^^^
Ahhhhh,......what a shock. Richard has to something to say about it. I am just amazed.
butt hurt. ^^^
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » June 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 7:22 pm
bigpurpleman wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 9:42 am

Lol. OK.
You may be a big purple man, but trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. Ask any strength coach who the dude is that can throw the most weight around the weight room, and then compare that to the guy that doesn't play much. They are many times (not all, there are exceptions----but MANY times) the same dude. Especially in football. They are slow, inflexible, clumsy feet, and injury prone. Not usually the sharpest tack in the drawer either.
Well, I'm a former strength coach/teacher, and no offense, but I disagree with you. I still coach athletics and my best friend is now the strength coach. While what you said is sometimes true, it hasn't been my experience in football at all. Our top 2 football players (both going on to play at the next level) were also state champion powerlifters and one was also a state champion wrestler.

That's just this year, but in most years this has been the case. I thought back 10 plus years and almost exclusively, our biggest animals in the weight room have been our top players on the field and went on to the next level, but we also spend a lot of time (more than most in our area) on flexibility and agility, on top of core lifts.

We also had one who a few years back broke weight room squat and bench records, was by far our best player, played D1 football, and now is a professional lifter.
Last edited by wild@nite on June 4th, 2020, 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » June 4th, 2020, 6:53 pm

What happened to teaching athletes ballet. That was once a big thing.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » June 4th, 2020, 8:19 pm

katlander wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 6:53 pm
I guess there would still be value, but most coaches don't know ballet, nor do they have enough time. Kids have their time dominated nowadays. Far more than we did 30-40 years ago.

When you get time with athletes, there is more value in working on sport specific fundamentals, character/teamwork, strength/agility, and team concepts.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » June 4th, 2020, 8:43 pm

katlander wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 6:53 pm
It went out of style at the same time as the sky hook.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » June 4th, 2020, 8:47 pm

wild@nite wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm
epicsnyder wrote:

You may be a big purple man, but trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. Ask any strength coach who the dude is that can throw the most weight around the weight room, and then compare that to the guy that doesn't play much. They are many times (not all, there are exceptions----but MANY times) the same dude. Especially in football. They are slow, inflexible, clumsy feet, and injury prone. Not usually the sharpest tack in the drawer either.
Well, I'm a former strength coach/teacher, and no offense, but I disagree with you. I still coach athletics and my best friend is now the strength coach. While what you said is sometimes true, it hasn't been my experience in football at all. Our top 2 football players (both going on to play at the next level) were also state champion powerlifters and one was also a state champion wrestler.

That's just this year, but in most years this has been the case. I thought back 10 plus years and almost exclusively, our biggest animals in the weight room have been our top players on the field and went on to the next level, but we also spend a lot of time (more than most in our area) on flexibility and agility, on top of core lifts.

We also had one who a few years back broke weight room squat and bench records, was by far our best player, played D1 football, and now is a professional lifter.
I think the weights don’t necessarily mean a guy will suck, I think that often times guys that suck turn to the weight room more than ever as a way to try to get better.

I’ve seen some guys benefit from the weights and getting stronger so they can finish in traffic, hold a box out, etc. But I’ve seen plenty of crappy players turn hard to the weights and it never changed their game like they hoped. They were stronger yes, but they weren’t way better.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » June 4th, 2020, 9:02 pm

wild@nite wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm
epicsnyder wrote:

No offense taken Wild. We all have our experiences. Mine has just been different than yours. Almost 30 years in the collegiate setting with D1 guys, I have actually seen it quite a lot.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.