wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: Ezeagu can play immediately this upcoming season

Post by wild@nite » June 4th, 2020, 9:15 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 9:02 pm
wild@nite wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Well, I'm a former strength coach/teacher, and no offense, but I disagree with you. I still coach athletics and my best friend is now the strength coach. While what you said is sometimes true, it hasn't been my experience in football at all. Our top 2 football players (both going on to play at the next level) were also state champion powerlifters and one was also a state champion wrestler.

That's just this year, but in most years this has been the case. I thought back 10 plus years and almost exclusively, our biggest animals in the weight room have been our top players on the field and went on to the next level, but we also spend a lot of time (more than most in our area) on flexibility and agility, on top of core lifts.

We also had one who a few years back broke weight room squat and bench records, was by far our best player, played D1 football, and now is a professional lifter.
No offense taken Wild. We all have our experiences. Mine has just been different than yours. Almost 30 years in the collegiate setting with D1 guys, I have actually seen it quite a lot.
I can see that being more prevalent at the D1 level. Jeff Simoneau (Marks brother) was one who got too big and unflexible. He was once a good player, but got worse the bigger he got, but he was juicing for several years, according to guys I know that played with him in HS and college. He was so muscle bound he lost most of his agility.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 5th, 2020, 7:55 am

Regarding weight lifting, I would think basketball weight training should be completely different than football.
My opinion basketball should be more core, legs, flexibility, agility and less upper body. Guys like Kevin Durant and Curry seem to be able to make shots without being overly built up in their arms.
IE did getting stronger in his upper body make Mawien better. I would suggest that half the time he spent doing bench presses and curls would have been better spent on drills to catch and hold onto the ball. Might not have helped as his problem might have been hand eye coordination that can not be fixed.
And all of this is just my opinion and nothing more.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » June 5th, 2020, 8:20 am

epicsnyder wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 7:22 pm
bigpurpleman wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 9:42 am

Lol. OK.
You may be a big purple man, but trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. Ask any strength coach who the dude is that can throw the most weight around the weight room, and then compare that to the guy that doesn't play much. They are many times (not all, there are exceptions----but MANY times) the same dude. Especially in football. They are slow, inflexible, clumsy feet, and injury prone. Not usually the sharpest tack in the drawer either.
Hmm. Pretty sure there is more that goes on in a weight room than just bulking up, but you're the "expert", so...…….

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » June 5th, 2020, 9:03 am

wild@nite wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 9:15 pm
epicsnyder wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 9:02 pm

No offense taken Wild. We all have our experiences. Mine has just been different than yours. Almost 30 years in the collegiate setting with D1 guys, I have actually seen it quite a lot.
I can see that being more prevalent at the D1 level. Jeff Simoneau (Marks brother) was one who got too big and unflexible. He was once a good player, but got worse the bigger he got, but he was juicing for several years, according to guys I know that played with him in HS and college. He was so muscle bound he lost most of his agility.
Speaking of Juicing. I wonder how many are juiced up nowadays? I you don’t seem to hear much about it anymore. But when see a lot of these kids on campus in street clothes (I’m referring to football players), they certainly have the signs. The foreheads seem like the big giveaway.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 5th, 2020, 9:25 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 7:55 am
Regarding weight lifting, I would think basketball weight training should be completely different than football.
My opinion basketball should be more core, legs, flexibility, agility and less upper body. Guys like Kevin Durant and Curry seem to be able to make shots without being overly built up in their arms.
IE did getting stronger in his upper body make Mawien better. I would suggest that half the time he spent doing bench presses and curls would have been better spent on drills to catch and hold onto the ball. Might not have helped as his problem might have been hand eye coordination that can not be fixed.
michael jordan talked about getting his body back from baseball to basketball and that it wasn't an easy task. probably a similar point to yours.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

katlander

Post by katlander » June 6th, 2020, 9:20 am

tmcats wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 9:25 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 7:55 am
michael jordan talked about getting his body back from baseball to basketball and that it wasn't an easy task. probably a similar point to yours.
I think part of getting in basketball condition is the stop and go nature of the sport. i used to run a lot to stay in shape but it always took awhile to get back in basketball shape in the fall. Jordan's high flying circus act may require extra conditioning to absorb the landings after re-entry.