RIP Eddie Sutton

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Hypeman

Re: RIP Eddie Sutton

Post by Hypeman » May 26th, 2020, 6:48 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 3:40 pm
No, he did not cheat his way to the top. He was a good man with a weakness for Demon Barleycorn that he fought during his long and productive life as a coach and mentor of young men.
And a weakness for bags of cash.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » May 26th, 2020, 8:12 am

That's a low-life comment. Ask any of the multitude of players who played for Mr. Sutton and you'll only hear accolades. You, Hype, can not diminish the good life's work of Coach Sutton.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 26th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Went to visit an OSU practice as a staff once (they ended up going to the final 4 that year). I was amazed how loose and seemingly unorganized practice was compared to KStates, and Wichita States. Two others we had been to. But.... as I said, they went to the final 4, so whatever works for you. Coach Dickey ran the practice. Eddie came in 30 minutes late and sat by us the entire practice talking about pheasant hunting and players in our area. He was very gracious, just not very involved. Sean sat on the scorers table most of the time and Glen Cyprien and Kyle Keller were the other assistants then. Those two, a couple of managers, and Dickey did virtually everything.

After practice, Eddie said he would get us a discount at a hotel in town as we hadn't made any reservations. He shook our hands, said, "Been fun visiting with you guys and if you see any young players we need to evaluate, please call us". As we were waiting, Kyle Keller came out and told us that they couldn't set up the hotel for us as it isn't permitted by the NCAA. He said, "I'm sorry, coach forgot". We believe Eddie was simply the figurehead at that time, not really too involved.

Coach Cyprien (now at Texas A&M) then met us for dinner and beers and while we were having beverages, we saw the Laker score. Glen takes out his phone and calls Kobe Bryant to congratulate him. He told Kobe he was having beers with some Kansas HS coaches and Kobe said, "Tell them hello". Kinda cool.

That was my one and only dealings with Coach Sutton. He and his staff treated us like royalty.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » May 26th, 2020, 11:11 pm

He was a nice guy and treated us much the same way.So I agree Wild. But he would have been better served to stay out of the sauce.

And I had much the same experience at KU believe it or not. The difference between Self and Williams was huge. Everything was under the control of Williams. Not so much hairpiece. He rarely said a thing. Assistants pretty much ran the practice.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 28th, 2020, 11:29 am

I've t'd up lots of nice guys and even tossed a few. Guys I've had beers with.

This is why there are the problems with cheating. "Aw. He's a nice guy. I'm not going to rat him out."

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 28th, 2020, 11:30 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 8:12 am
That's a low-life comment. Ask any of the multitude of players who played for Mr. Sutton and you'll only hear accolades. You, Hype, can not diminish the good life's work of Coach Sutton.
What’s lowlife about that? Did a bag of cash for one of his recruits get discovered or not?

If you’ve studied a little psychology, it’s not uncommon for those that cheat and steal to get to the top to then try to clear the conscience with a little good. It’s not an innate desire to be altruistic that causes them to do good.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » May 29th, 2020, 8:13 am

OK, hype, I'll give you the last word, but not concede the point. ;) Coach Sutton was what he was.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 29th, 2020, 8:18 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 8:13 am
OK, hype, I'll give you the last word, but not concede the point. ;) Coach Sutton was what he was.
I will concede that regardless of how he got his players, he knew how to coach and his teams got it done on the floor.

As for the drinking ... I don’t hold it against anyone for personal weakness. We all have some.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 29th, 2020, 11:36 am

If you've ever known anyone with an addiction, saying "Lay off the sauce" is easier said than done. In a stressful profession, it only compounds it. I'm by no means making excuses because I've battled between supporting my step son's alcohol addiction (3 times to rehab do far) and wanting to kick his ass. I've come to realize, he is trying, but it runs in his Dad's family and so does depression. It is a tough combination that is easy to judge. I used to until I went through witnessing a true addict. He isn't violent, just dependent. The withdrawal is ugly.

Eddie had a problem, but he still accomplished quite a bit.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » June 1st, 2020, 3:58 pm

we all have demons. there but for the barleycorn and talent go I...